Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corvette6698512
I am trading my jeep for a '74 914. Its in rough condition, but i noticed there is still a lot of good metal on it. The battery tray is good, the firewall is good, and the body seems pretty solid despite the small rust holes is has is a few places.

On the test drive, it broke down. One problem i found was when going from a start, it almost seemed like it bogged down a lot more then even my 40 horse bug. Then one time, it just decided to not work, and die. We got it off the road, and put some gas in it, but that wasn't the problem. The other guy went back there, and decided to take off a plugged vacuum line that was on the intake manifold to plug up the hole. It started right up, and i drove it back. He said something about the shop he took it to wiring up the fuel pump directly to the battery blink.gif

My questions are, How can i fix this problem, and what are the other general maintenance procedures that go into these engines? It has the 1.8 engine. Like i said earlier, i am also into vw bugs, so i know the vw type 1 engine pretty good, but i don't know a FI type 4. Thanks!

Chris
messix
the f/i on the 1.8 should be a L-jet. it's pretty simple. if you dont have a haynes manual get one. it has most all the vac. and wiring schematics.

wiring the fuel pump to the battery is a no no, it might be a problem with the dual relay that is mounted on the battery tray mount.

maintenace is oil change and normal old car stuff :plugs wires cap rotor points. then there is all the worn out replacement stuff that comes up.

parts can be found many places, a local vw shop that has type 4 stuff can help with some of it, pelican parts is one vender that i have used also. and then there is all ways the local guys that have parts stashs that are a good resource as well as the cassified section here.
southernmost914
welcome.png
Steve
SirAndy
What he ^^^ said ... agree.gif

I know nothing about L-Jet, so hopefully others will have some wisdom to share ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
corvette6698512
Thanks. I will look around for a haynes manual for it then. I also have a great vw book that has a few things about vw bus engines. Anyone know if they are similar fuel injection setups? Thanks for the welcome also. Im sure i will have plenty of questions as i tear into this thing, but i'll try to keep from being annoying.

Chris
GeorgeRud
The fuel injection system is an early, analog computer controlled, air flow sensing system. In retrospec, they are really not all that complicated, but they are sensitive to vacuum leaks. Check that your connections are tight and not leaking, that your oil filler cap is on tight, and that the ground connections are clean and making good contact. The controllers don't really give out very often, so a good cleanup is often all that's needed. Also, if the car has sat for a long time, the old fuel can be a problem.

I'd consider getting some of the information booklets that Auto Atlanta in Marietta, Georgia has available, as that can also help with troubleshooting fuel injection problems. There were two different types of fuel injection used on the 914s, your's is the L (for Luft/airflow) system instead of the D (for Druck/air pressure) system.
corvette6698512
Just to throw it out there, i also have a set of type 4 manifolds, for a set of dual idf's or drla's. I have a set of 36drla's, 45 drla's, and 44 idf's. I would rather try to get the FI to work though before thinking about carbs.
messix
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 8 2009, 03:30 PM) *

Just to throw it out there, i also have a set of type 4 manifolds, for a set of dual idf's or drla's. I have a set of 36drla's, 45 drla's, and 44 idf's. I would rather try to get the FI to work though before thinking about carbs.

the stock fi is the way to go on a stock engine.

you wouldn't gain any thing from carbs with the stock cam.
corvette6698512
So i got the 914, and after a bit of driving, i'v decided timing is off, and something is wrong with the injection. First off, how do you set the timing on these things? Second, what might cause it to have a stumble below 2000 rpm? it runs fine above that, but it stumbles a bit below that. Im also missing the trunk latch(where can i get one?) and also the tranny mounts.Thanks
messix
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 9 2009, 07:53 PM) *

So i got the 914, and after a bit of driving, i'v decided timing is off, and something is wrong with the injection. First off, how do you set the timing on these things? Second, what might cause it to have a stumble below 2000 rpm? it runs fine above that, but it stumbles a bit below that. Im also missing the trunk latch(where can i get one?) and also the tranny mounts.Thanks

check the points or just relpace and time it. the screww in plug on the fan housing is where the timing marks are .... get a haynes. and look here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

lots of tech articles writen by some of the guys from here.
messix
for the truck latch contact this guy with a p/m [private message] http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=88677
corvette6698512
Thanks for the info beerchug.gif
corvette6698512
So i diagnosed the low rpm problem, and i figured out its gettign way too much fuel. It barely idles, and if you try to give it gas, it either kills it, or bogs it down like crazy. Its flooding out. How can i fix this? The timing change i did made a big difference in the response, but its still bogging down, and running real rich.
SirAndy
QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 9 2009, 08:21 PM) *

but its still bogging down, and running real rich.

Make sure your CHT is tight in it's socket and the wire coming from it is not cracked.

Do you own a multimeter?
idea.gif Andy
McMark
Best thing, in my opinion, to do with a troublesome stock motor is check everything. It's time to start learning, but if you take it a step at a time it's not too bad. Check the timing, check the valve adjustment, and check all of the vacuum connections (very important on LJet). Start there and don't ASSUME ANYTHING and don't rely on DAPO information/choices (D___A___ Previous Owner). Confirm EVERYTHING. It's a lot of work now, but will pay off big time in not chasing problem after problem. Deal with everything now and then enjoy it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 9 2009, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(corvette6698512 @ Mar 9 2009, 08:21 PM) *

but its still bogging down, and running real rich.

Make sure your CHT is tight in it's socket and the wire coming from it is not cracked.

Do you own a multimeter?
idea.gif Andy

Wait, does L-Jet even use a CHT?
confused24.gif Andy
Jeffs9146
Never mind!
corvette6698512
Thats what i want to learn. Like i said, im also into vw bugs, and they are very similar engines, but its stuff like vacuum lines i dont know about. There is two vacuum lines on the intake manifold that are blocked off. Im guessing they go somewhere. One is right but the throttle body, and the other is just behind the manifold where it branches off into the tubes for the different ports. Sorry for my ignorance, but they are much more complicated then i'm used to. Is CHT cylinder head temp? I dont think the guage works right now. I'll let you know Thanks for all the help guys!
corvette6698512
Using a vacuum diagram i found, i figured out, the distributor used, is not the correct one(though i have the correct one in the shop). There is no line going to the back of the vacuum canister. Another thing i found is the line going to the fuel pressure regulator is not there. I will see if i can find some vacuum line, and hook it up. Also, what is the decel valve? And how about the EGR valve?
McMark
I don't have any LJet pictures, but if you take pictures and post them we can point out what parts are what.
davesprinkle
'74 Ljet won't have EGR, so don't worry about that. Deccel valve is optional. It bleeds some air into the engine when you get out of the throttle at high engine speed. I don't know why Porsche included it. Maybe to prevent off-throttle popping in the exhaust? Whatever. I've run my '74 Ljet with and without the deccel valve and it didn't seem to make a difference either way.

Vacuum leaks are a killer on the Ljet. Don't make any assumptions about the status of the vacuum lines -- just replace them all. AA sells a complete kit of the necessary lines. Get it and spend a weekend replacing everything.

I've been driving my '74 Ljet daily for the past 6 months. You CAN get it to work right.
corvette6698512
I'll get some pictures tomorow. When i opened the engine lid, one of the hinges came off from the firewall. I cant figure out how it was held on besides it being welded on maybe. How could i reattach it?
McMark
Yup, weld on new brackets. They're available.
IPB Image
corvette6698512
Awesome. I might just zap it real quick tomorow when i get the chance. Sorry for all the small simple questions. Thanks for all the help guys!
messix
yer welcome newb! happy11.gif
corvette6698512
I went out, fired it up, and it barely wants to run. It idles very low, and the idle screw dosen't seem to be much help. When i give it some gas, it cuts out, and runs rough. hmm.
corvette6698512
After driving it for a few days, its running much better. I think the guy lugged it everywhere, and it loaded up with carbon and stuff. I know how to drive the things, and i think it cleared it out. Now to check out the engine mounts. I think the front ones are toast. Heres a pic i got of it today next to my bug truck:

IPB Image
corvette6698512
What do you guys think i could get for the stock steel wheels from this thing? Is there anyone around here(oly-seattle) that might want to buy them? Im thinking about getting some rivieras from my buddy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.