Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best place to get a rebuilt alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
My charging system isn't. Culpret could be the alternator. Where do I want to look to get a new one, or a good rebuilt one? Are the cheaper rebuilt ones on ebay that same as the ones from Pelican or AA? Is this a part I can get from NAPA up the street?

Zach
StratPlayer
I got a new one from a local FLAPS. All I had to do was shorten one of the bolts that sticks out the back of the alternator.

VaccaRabite
Like this on Ebay:
$59 ebay rebuilt alt by BNR Parts.

Or this (with a voltage regulator included)
$84, comes with a new voltage regulator. from Eagle Auto.

Zach
StratPlayer
I got mine at checker auto, I think it was around 65.00 new.
Joe Owensby
I had mine rebuilt by a local guy who has a very good reputation for his work. I think it was about $50 or so. I know some of the Flaps rebuilders just replace what was broken, so a lot of the parts are old. The rebuilder I used was supposed to put in new bearings and diodes. JoeO
hcdmueller
If you want a higher amp alternator you can buy a 912e alternator from FLAPS. Autozone had them for around $100. The only issue is your original 55amp pulley doesn't have a fan on it. I have been running mine for a while without the fan on the pulley and have no problems with it. You will have to buy a different rubber boot from the fan housing to the back as well. They sell them on the bus depot web site. Not for everybody. If you have the time to wait and need the extra amps this is a solution.
eg914
I got my alternator at the local VW shop. Don't remember the price, as it was a couple years ago.
type47
I was able to take my alternator to the local Advance Auto Parts and bench test the unit on their tester. Maybe you could verify the alternator at your FLAP unless you're sure it's bad. Should be able to test it at Autozone too.
VaccaRabite
Oh, thats a good idea. I'll test it before I replace it.
Zach
Drums66
Another very wise thing to do!
replace the alternator and voltage
regulator together!! Reccomended bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
I got the alternator out this afternoon and swung by Advance to get it tested. Yeah, its dead.

Zach
toon1
Did they have a special tester?

From what I have read in the past, a special setup is needed to test these alt's.
VaccaRabite
The tester that they used has a special setting and wiring harness just for the these alternators, yeah.

Also, I bought the BRN Parts alternator off Ebay. They had really good feedback, and it was about 1/2 the cost of Pelican or AA. If I get burned, then so be it.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Oops. Double post. sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Got my new alternator installed today. Light went out. Happy happy!
Zach
jsayre914
cheer.gif Great now you need tags bro.

whats left to do??
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 17 2009, 08:45 PM) *

cheer.gif Great now you need tags bro.

whats left to do??

Tags are in my car.
Check out my progress thread. smile.gif

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.