Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
I've been toying with the idea of making Huey a more accurate 914/6 with a left side key ignition, but I'd want to have the correct steering column for it.

I'm also considering a push button start for Papa Smurf, in which case I could also use a 'keyless' column for that too.

What should I use? just a normal 911 column? or something else?

thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
914-6 only with early 70 71 914 weld in brackets.
naro914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 11 2009, 05:16 PM) *

914-6 only with early 70 71 914 weld in brackets.

Hmmm...not sounding real easy...
PanelBilly
I'm thinking that its not a good idea. Even if you find the parts, wouldn't it be better for them to go on an original car that needed restoration?
naro914
I think option B is to custom fab a steering column housing from something else, gut the current one, and call it a day. I THINK i can do that, not sure. I have access to a "donor" car that I could try it out with first.
MDG
if you search out one of Sir Andy's threads I'm pretty sure he did it . . . or was planning to
Rusty
Brad Mayeur sold two or three 914-6 parts cars to some guy a couple years ago. Might try to follow that lead?
sixnotfour
you can use a 73 and older 911 column .Cut off all 911 brackets and weld on the four banger mount bracket.
Do a search SirAndy did it most recently, or Mcmark did it for him.
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 11 2009, 01:10 PM) *

What should I use? just a normal 911 column? or something else?

Do a search here. I did this last year. I used a 911 column ...
bye1.gif Andy
dflesburg
I did it. I used a 914-6 column and a 911 iginition sw/tumbler.

It was hard. Keep all your 914-4 stuff. You will need to cut up the 914-4 column

I had to
make a template of the 914-4 mounting tab holes
cut the mounting tabs off the 914-4
weld them on the 914-6 column in the correct spots.

Thats just part of it.

Wiring is a total PIA but I have all the schematics if you are really going to try it. They are all hand drawn but they are good.

You will also need correct horn ring,
cancel parts,
modify your steering wheel.
take the old steering shaft from the 914-4 and put it in the 914-6 housing
clam shells
etc.

find parts that were missing from the one you bought
etc

Get a 911 ignition switch and key working
rekey that lock
etc.

Do the wiring for
the ignition
the wipers
the turn signal
windshield washer
headlights
etc etc etc.

also, if you run h4 headlamps you must redesign the light side of the system so that more relays keep from overloading the dimmer switch and the dimmer relay.

if I ever thought about doing it again... I wouldnt ever do it again unless I was doing another car for myself. I can tell you, my boys cars wont have this done.

expect weeks of work in R&D and hand making everything you might need.

When you get it all done, some smart ass will tell you that you have the wrong cover plate on your ignition key..

George, do you have a 914-6 key cover plate?
naro914
Thanks all, this should point me in the right direction.
I'm not overly concerned with total authenticity being Huey is not exactly a true replica of anything anyway.

I'm also considering it for Papa Smurf, the Club racer. More of a "take everything off the steering column and make it a push button start" kinda thing. I don't need turn signals, or even the wiper switch (but I could rewire that to a flip switch somwhere on the dash) so that shoudl be much easier.

I talked to my mechanic and he said we can pretty easily fab something out of stuff he has. When I do it (see the thread of What's your Winter Project and know I have a ton left to do on my projects as it is), I will document what I did.

Way back a long time ago, I replaced the ignition tumbler, and was surprised how the entire ignition system is in one plug with 4 or 5 connectors. I could start the car with a paper clip, so I can't imagine that would be too hard to rewire (famous last words smile.gif )
ClayPerrine
I did this 6 years ago. I have the pictures somewhere.

You need a 911 column, a 914 column, and a dash frame from a 914/6.

If you have a 73, you have to mod the dash frame to use the vents in the outer ends of the dash.

I REALLY need to gather my little CDs up and download all the pictures again.

sechszylinder
hilow,

thats the way i did it:

I've mixed up a 914/4 and a 87 carrera steering column. The result is depicted in the following ...

greetings form Germany / Berlin smilie_flagge6.gif
jt914-6
Bob, I've got a dash mounted wiper switch that would word well for you. It is an intermittent wiper switch with adjustable sweeps, low, and high speeds. It also has a hot wire for a 12 volt washer pump. I have a wiring diagram for the 914 installation.
I'm also using a push button start too.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we did not do the key cover plate yet but did do the clamshells for the six column, and the two u shaped trim pieces. We have several sets of each in stock. Different than the 911 of course.

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 11 2009, 06:16 PM) *

I did it. I used a 914-6 column and a 911 iginition sw/tumbler.

It was hard. Keep all your 914-4 stuff. You will need to cut up the 914-4 column

I had to
make a template of the 914-4 mounting tab holes
cut the mounting tabs off the 914-4
weld them on the 914-6 column in the correct spots.

Thats just part of it.

Wiring is a total PIA but I have all the schematics if you are really going to try it. They are all hand drawn but they are good.

You will also need correct horn ring,
cancel parts,
modify your steering wheel.
take the old steering shaft from the 914-4 and put it in the 914-6 housing
clam shells
etc.

find parts that were missing from the one you bought
etc

Get a 911 ignition switch and key working
rekey that lock
etc.

Do the wiring for
the ignition
the wipers
the turn signal
windshield washer
headlights
etc etc etc.

also, if you run h4 headlamps you must redesign the light side of the system so that more relays keep from overloading the dimmer switch and the dimmer relay.

if I ever thought about doing it again... I wouldnt ever do it again unless I was doing another car for myself. I can tell you, my boys cars wont have this done.

expect weeks of work in R&D and hand making everything you might need.

When you get it all done, some smart ass will tell you that you have the wrong cover plate on your ignition key..

George, do you have a 914-6 key cover plate?

naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 12 2009, 11:40 PM) *

I did this 6 years ago. I have the pictures somewhere.

You need a 911 column, a 914 column, and a dash frame from a 914/6.

If you have a 73, you have to mod the dash frame to use the vents in the outer ends of the dash.

I REALLY need to gather my little CDs up and download all the pictures again.

It's a 71.

Vents? Oh, you mean those things not connected to anything that are stuffed behind the roll cage? Ah, no problem. No heat, no blowers, no controllers, no nothing....

Also, no windshield washers...in either car.

Oh, and the dash face is custom made for guages and such, deleting the blower heat controlers and radio. So again, not too concerned about total authenticity, more just for the fun/look/feel of doing it....and to lose weight in the race car.

Heck, Papa Smurf doesnt' even have wipers! and DEFINITELY do not need turn signals in him, or a horn. Just ignition.

dflesburg
Thanks George,

I thought you might have one back on a shelf somewhere. you have so much cool stuff back there in boxes on shelves in corners, barrels, cartons, cans, drawers, under desks, in rafters, etc. LOL.

Still hoping to get to Atlanta eventually and expecting that we go running then.

- Duane
McMark
It was a challenging project, but not too extraordinarily difficult. Be prepaired to do some welding and some wiring.
dflesburg
Click to view attachment

here is the picture you requested for the ignition

Mark Henry
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 13 2017, 07:18 AM) *

Click to view attachment

here is the picture you requested for the ignition

blink.gif I think you put this in the wrong thread this one is from 2009 laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.