Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield wiper column switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
I know I have read somewhere about the correct wiper column switch that will work for a teener on here or other forums but can't remember for the life of me where I read it. I want to upgrade to a column switch that will work in conjunction with an electric washer pump. I thought a switch from a 924 would work but then maybe it's a 944. Hell if I can remember....
Can anyone give me a part number and where to purchase one? Like everyone else; I'm looking for a place that has a good deal.
Thanks.
jt914-6
It is a 924 wiper switch you're thinking about. You have to remove the power wire for the washer pump out of the plastic connector and run it on it's own. You'll see what I mean when you get it. The plastic connector is like the one on the 914 switch with one extra wire (12 volt for pump).
mojorisen914
Does anyone know if a switch for a 87-88 924 will work? Or does anyone have a part number that will work for my application?
SirAndy
If you have the intermittent wipers option for your 914, you can use that to run the washer pump ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13261

bye1.gif Andy
jt914-6
The 924 part number you're looking for should be: 111-953-519G.
pnewman
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Mar 14 2009, 01:18 AM) *

I know I have read somewhere about the correct wiper column switch that will work for a teener on here or other forums but can't remember for the life of me where I read it. I want to upgrade to a column switch that will work in conjunction with an electric washer pump. I thought a switch from a 924 would work but then maybe it's a 944. Hell if I can remember....
Can anyone give me a part number and where to purchase one? Like everyone else; I'm looking for a place that has a good deal.
Thanks.

you were right!
924 steering column windshield wiper switch (111-953-519G)

Here is a link to an upgrade article by:

Karl Ellzey
'74 914 1.8L
kellzey@mpinet.net

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tric_washer.htm

I am about to undertake the same upgrade and simultaneously change out the warn ignition switch. Let's hope that we can find the column switch without loosing our shirts!

Good luck!
mojorisen914
Well, I made a call to the Doc at AA and in under a minute the deal was done. I told him what I was wanting to do and he already had the part number handy. My part should be sitting at my house right now.
I wish I was back there putting it in right now. I still got to wait another 45 days before that will happen.
SLITS
How to use a 924 wiper switch to power the electric pump on a 914

An article on Pelican Parts by Karl Ellzey.

Ooops ... already linked
914Sixer
Switches are available from Cip1 for $64.95 and are in stock.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 31 2014, 04:00 PM) *

Switches are available from Cip1 for $64.95 and are in stock.

I think I could be game for this mod but forgive me for being a nob. Who is the vendor Cip1?
TY

Update-
Found it
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-519-G

Addedum-
Hey, I'm a little confused. Ya'll say the switch 111-953-519G is the 924 switch used for this mod but when you check out that part number California Import Parts it comes up for a 74-79 Beetle. Did I miss something or is the part one in the same for the 924 and the Beetle? It looks like it has the same squirt tubes for the stock air pressure powered 914 washer system. confused24.gif
HalfMoon
icon_bump.gif
For info on part
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 31 2014, 10:03 PM) *

Addedum-
Hey, I'm a little confused. Ya'll say the switch 111-953-519G is the 924 switch used for this mod but when you check out that part number California Import Parts it comes up for a 74-79 Beetle. Did I miss something or is the part one in the same for the 924 and the Beetle? It looks like it has the same squirt tubes for the stock air pressure powered 914 washer system. confused24.gif

You didn't miss anything. The wiper switch in the 914/4 was a beetle part, just like the ignition lock. When Porsche designed the 924, it was actually designed to be an Audi sports car, hence the Audi Fox engine, the Audi transmission, the super beetle front struts and the super beetle rear trailing arms. They used lots of other parts from the VW/Audi parts bin.

Then Audi decided not to go forward with the project so Porsche decided to build it as a replacement for the 914.

From Wikipedia:

The 924 was originally intended to be Volkswagen's flagship coupé sports car and was dubbed "Project 425" during its development. At the time, Volkswagen lacked an internal research and design division, and Porsche was doing the bulk of the company's development work, per a deal that went back to the 1950s; in keeping with this history, Porsche was contracted to develop a new sporting vehicle with the caveat that this vehicle must work with an existing VW/Audi I4 engine. Porsche chose a rear wheel drive layout and a rear-mounted transaxle for the design to help provide 48/52 front/rear weight distribution; this slight rear weight bias aided both traction and brake balance.

The 1973 oil crisis, a series of automobile-related regulatory changes enacted during the 1970s and a change of directors at Volkswagen made the case for a Volkswagen sports car less striking and the 425 project was put on hold. After serious deliberation at VW, the project was scrapped entirely after a decision was made to move forward with the cheaper, more practical, Golf-based Scirocco model instead. Porsche, which needed a model to replace the 914, made a deal with Volkswagen leadership to buy the design back.

There are more VW parts on a 924 than there are on a 914, but we get the NARP label.... screwy.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2014, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 31 2014, 10:03 PM) *

Addedum-

You didn't miss anything. The wiper switch in the 914/4 was a beetle part, just like the ignition lock. When Porsche designed the 924, it was actually designed to be an Audi sports car, hence the Audi Fox engine, the Audi transmission, the super beetle front struts and the super beetle rear trailing arms. They used lots of other parts from the VW/Audi parts bin.

Then Audi decided not to go forward with the project so Porsche decided to build it as a replacement for the 914.

From Wikipedia:

The 924 was originally intended to be Volkswagen's flagship coupé sports car and was dubbed "Project 425" during its development. At the time, Volkswagen lacked an internal research and design division, and Porsche was doing the bulk of the company's development work, per a deal that went back to the 1950s; in keeping with this history, Porsche was contracted to develop a new sporting vehicle with the caveat that this vehicle must work with an existing VW/Audi I4 engine. Porsche chose a rear wheel drive layout and a rear-mounted transaxle for the design to help provide 48/52 front/rear weight distribution; this slight rear weight bias aided both traction and brake balance.

The 1973 oil crisis, a series of automobile-related regulatory changes enacted during the 1970s and a change of directors at Volkswagen made the case for a Volkswagen sports car less striking and the 425 project was put on hold. After serious deliberation at VW, the project was scrapped entirely after a decision was made to move forward with the cheaper, more practical, Golf-based Scirocco model instead. Porsche, which needed a model to replace the 914, made a deal with Volkswagen leadership to buy the design back.

There are more VW parts on a 924 than there are on a 914, but we get the NARP label.... screwy.gif

I am enlightened
beer.gif
zambezi
I was under the impression that the true 924 switch would have an electrical switch located where our pressure valve is located. If not I don't see the need to "update" to a 924 part when it is the same as what we already have.
malcolm2
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jun 10 2014, 12:38 PM) *

icon_bump.gif
For info on part

I was skeptical when I broke my turn signal lever and someone here, I believe, told me to get a 75 super beetle part for about $20.... The wires were different colors but they went to the correct places and everything works for $20 vs. The Porsche $200 price.
Valy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 10 2014, 07:32 PM) *

I was under the impression that the true 924 switch would have an electrical switch located where our pressure valve is located. If not I don't see the need to "update" to a 924 part when it is the same as what we already have.

I use this one. The extra wire, outside the connector, is for the electric pump. All the wire in the connector are in the right place. It's on top of the pneumatic option that I don't use any more and can be taken off.
Basically, it's just plug an play with the addition of the electric pump.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...2D953%2D519%2DG
zambezi
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 11 2014, 01:15 AM) *

I use this one. The extra wire, outside the connector, is for the electric pump. All the wire in the connector are in the right place. It's on top of the pneumatic option that I don't use any more and can be taken off.

So it actually has both, a momentary switch and a pressure valve? That would work then. Just disregard the valve portion and wire in an electric pump.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 11 2014, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 11 2014, 01:15 AM) *

So it actually has both, a momentary switch and a pressure valve? That would work then. Just disregard the valve portion and wire in an electric pump.

Hey! Does that mean it can have an intermitent relay wired in for the delay wiper feature also? That's be cool!
Valy
Yes, it has both pneumatic and electric pump. The electric pump activation will also trigger the wipers as it should (you don't have that with just an add-on switch ).
I also recommended that if you want to add a relay, you add the VW 99 relay that can be programed from the same wiper switch...The wiring loom for the relay is different but you need to build it any way..search my past posts for all the info. I can't do it from my phone now.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 11 2014, 05:22 PM) *

Yes, it has both pneumatic and electric pump. The electric pump activation will also trigger the wipers as it should (you don't have that with just an add-on switch ).
I also recommended that if you want to add a relay, you add the VW 99 relay that can be programed from the same wiper switch...The wiring loom for the relay is different but you need to build it any way..search my past posts for all the info. I can't do it from my phone now.

QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 22 2011, 10:08 AM) *

Update:

I've added a programmable intermittent wiper function to my old circuit.
I use a programmable VW relay. Activate once, wait the desired delay time and activate again.

This is the best upgrade I've done to my car. The guy who invented this relay is a genius - no additional switches that can brake and it can easily retrofit in any car!
Click to view attachment

This one?
Seems pretty cool
D
Addedum-slightly confused....so I would add a regular relay AND the interval relay from a 99VW?
Valy
Yep, you got it right.
Ping me if you need help.
zambezi
great info. Thanks!
worn
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 11 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Stalk offset OK? I had the idea this was an issue. If not I can stop trying to get early 924 parts out of production decades ago to hold together. Thanks.
Valy
The one I posted has the exact same mechanics. I mounted it on my car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.