Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 935 engine dyno run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPfK_BispVo
Maltese Falcon
Porsche achieved big HP back then w/o modern ecu's or management systems out of 3.2 litres, and that served the competition well !
I stuffed a similar engine , detuned for street use into this 914-
www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fhH5mzfyFl8
Marty
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 14 2009, 03:04 AM) *

Marty

Detuned to what??? 650 HP??!!!! In a 914!

Sounds a little like the VW Beetle I saw on MegaWorld last nite on DiscoveryHD where the guy shoved a jet engine out the back of his Beetle and it is still street legal.

Peter
r_towle
What non bolt on parts (intake and exhaust) are the differences between this motor and a stock 3.2 motor???

And, roughly how much does one of these turbo motors go for?
Can this type of motor still be found, or are they getting more and more rare due to restorations.

Rich
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2009, 06:38 AM) *

What non bolt on parts (intake and exhaust) are the differences between this motor and a stock 3.2 motor???

Can this type of motor still be found, or are they getting more and more rare due to restorations.

Rich

I've read a little about these motors. Most parts are unique to the 935....less the case & cylinders.... maybe. biggrin.gif One sees parts F/S occasionally .......definately not cheep.
WAG, 30-50K for a long block.
championgt1
That justs makes me smile. piratenanner.gif
PeeGreen 914
I'll be right back... I need to go to the bathroom drooley.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 15 2009, 10:35 AM) *

Rich

I've read a little about these motors. Most parts are unique to the 935....less the case & cylinders.... maybe. biggrin.gif One sees parts F/S occasionally .......definately not cheep.

So, case and cylinders are the same...maybe.
I would assume the crank possibly.
Heads...I am wondering if the heads are made from the same base casting...therefore could be made from a 3.2 set of heads???
Camshafts can be bought.
Twin plug, part of the head process.
Intake...well that looks custom on the dyno motor...

JP, I can buy a 930 for 30k...long block cant be the same price...

rich
pete-stevers
there are a couple of raw 930 blocks on the bird board...
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2009, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 15 2009, 10:35 AM) *

Rich

So, case and cylinders are the same...maybe.
I would assume the crank possibly.
Heads...I am wondering if the heads are made from the same base casting...therefore could be made from a 3.2 set of heads???
Camshafts can be bought.
Twin plug, part of the head process.
Intake...well that looks custom on the dyno motor...

JP, I can buy a 930 for 30k...long block cant be the same price...

rich

Hay, it was a WAG. I could be wrong..... Call Andial....er...Jerry Woods for a quote.
sixnotfour
935 engine pretty much a snapshot in time, everything else is a progression from what was learned racing. ( to fit rules/regs.)
Marty said it pretty well here;
Porsche achieved big HP back then w/o modern ecu's or management systems out of 3.2 litres, and that served the competition well !

Not to be compared to today's possibilities.

That engine is beautifully restored and should be appreciated for its accomplishments cemented in time.
It is based on a stock block ,but lots of titianum fasteners/etc.
Rav914
Wow. Super impressive. What a beauty! I love the sound the turbos made decelerating off the second run.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment[/quote]

Hay, it was a WAG. I could be wrong..... Call Andial....er...Jerry Woods for a quote.
[/quote]
Special items are 935- specific such as center lubricated camshafts, titanium conrods, horizontal cooling fans, dual spark ignitions (the youTube engine was a single plug). Parts were (still are) in the stratosphere, however many items can be replicated by skilled craftsmen (Aasco for example) at decent prices. Here's a pic of the flame-ring head gaskets from mine.
Marty
JmuRiz
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Mar 15 2009, 05:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 14 2009, 03:04 AM) *

Marty

Detuned to what??? 650 HP??!!!! In a 914!

Sounds a little like the VW Beetle I saw on MegaWorld last nite on DiscoveryHD where the guy shoved a jet engine out the back of his Beetle and it is still street legal.

Peter

I think it was closer to 530hp, but Marty would know for sure.
A wild beast for sure...I'm sure you'd hear the horizontal fan spinning more than the exhaust music.
TimT
I can't find the pics... but I know someone who put a 956 engine in a 914
r_towle
OK,
two crazy porsche geniuses on one thread.

Here is the question.

Would a cayenne v8 fit without moving the firewall forward?
Happy to move the middle of it forward, but not where the drivers seat needs to be...all the way back.

Rich
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment[/quote]
I think it was closer to 530hp, but Marty would know for sure.
A wild beast for sure...I'm sure you'd hear the horizontal fan spinning more than the exhaust music.
[/quote]
530 bhp was "As built in 1995" with a couple of older style IHI turbos, similar to the ones used on the F40 ferraris. Problem was that the IHIs would run themselves out of air at over 5,800 rpm. So we switched to these ceramic ball bearing Turbonetic units (GTKs) in 2008. Haven't dyno'd it yet, but the car will NOT run out of pull even at 7,500 rpm in 5th biggrin.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 17 2009, 05:26 PM) *

OK,
two crazy porsche geniuses on one thread.

Here is the question.

Would a cayenne v8 fit without moving the firewall forward?
Happy to move the middle of it forward, but not where the drivers seat needs to be...all the way back.

Rich

We are going to find this out in a few more months, when the engine (Cayenne TT) arrives.
The white car is already being caged, Sheridan wide body coming, and the POC might even need to create a class for it smile.gif
The Cayenne engine tuners are already tweaking these to nearly 1,000 bhp.
It will be an ALL Porsche drivetrain, chassis, and body ...correcto ?
Marty
echocanyons
Probably worlds away from the 962 but the thought of building a monster engine brought this thread to mind

962 engine build

JmuRiz
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 17 2009, 06:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment530 bhp was "As built in 1995" with a couple of older style IHI turbos, similar to the ones used on the F40 ferraris. Problem was that the IHIs would run themselves out of air at over 5,800 rpm. So we switched to these ceramic ball bearing Turbonetic units (GTKs) in 2008. Haven't dyno'd it yet, but the car will NOT run out of pull even at 7,500 rpm in 5th biggrin.gif
Marty

Wow, now that's even more impressive!!! piratenanner.gif
dkjens
My friends at my local shop, Pasadena Performance or Strictly German, keep forgetting what their latest name is, built a single turbo, I believe 3.2l engine and dynoed in Long Beach to 550HP on the wheels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxMy5poaGE

By the way, why do the turbo cylinders only have fins on the lower half of the jugs? I would think the un-finned part of the jugs would really heat up fast but maybe the turbo engines have a fan set up that blows more cooling air?????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.