Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decoke an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davep
Years ago when I worked in a dealership we used a fluid to burn the carbon from the combustion chambers. The mechanic would take the car out into the country, then hook up a line from the can to a vacuum port on the intake side, and go for a little run. The smoke would just billow out until the can ran dry. It apparently did a good job. Does anyone recall this product that I can use to burn some carbon out?

DaveP
Mueller
water???
d7n7master
I've seen it done with plain 'ol water poured out of a Coca-Cola Bottle into the carb while keeping the rev's up. (by a mechanic at a Arco station I worked at as a kid...) ohmy.gif
JWest
GM Top Engine Cleaner - get it at your GM Dealer.
Jake Raby
I have used coca cola to do it before....

I have even had some low power Turbine engines like a 2liter of coke ran through them..... The deposits just pour out of the exhaust flange.
redtiny914
He is right about the Coca Cola....I believe it works because of the acid in the coke.

I am a nurse and we use coke to clean out G tubes...same concept though...just using it on people instead of cars in my line of work..... smile.gif
Jake Raby
Using orange Kool-aid to clean the toilets onboard ship was the most amazing one I have seen! Cleaning a pisser that sees 1000 people a day is a true chalenge for anything... Kool aid is the best! Just ask any Squid and they'll say the same thing!
lagunero
Swepco has a product and the instructions are very much the same as you describe. I think it's the Valve Cleaner additive.
JmuRiz
So has anyone done this...or have they just heard of doing it (aside from Jake)? And does it really work? Might help a tired old car/bike work a little better. My bike had a ton of buildup in the header when I repainted it blink.gif
MattR
Coke should add an addendum to their label for instructions...
airsix
Whatever wonder concoction you guys put down your intakes make sure it's in small enough quantity that you don't get a hydraulic lock and bust the motor. I'ts probably easier than it sounds (to lock & bust the motor). I would replace the word "pour" with "mist" in all of the above. I have seen a motor get hydraulic locked on a surprisingly small volume of fluid.

-Ben M.

Disclaimer - I don't have any experience doing this and am neither recommending nor discouraging against it.
steve@ottosvenice.com
This is The Stuff to use. Steve\

http://www.dr-willardswater.com/
need4speed
I think Coke would be a VERY bad idea.

Ever have some smartass dump sugar in your gas tank?

Know how much sugar there is in Coke?

Maybe diet coke. . .

Or better still, a fluid specifically made for the task.
DuckRyder
Lubro Moly Ventil Sauber, GM Top engine clean, ATF all work.

As was stated, carefull how much or you can bend rods............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.