Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which stock Brake pads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, there has been a lot of talk lately about using a stock caliper setup with aggressive pads in lieu of a BMW upgrade for street applications... I had a BMW upgrade in my old car(2002 brakes) but never really had a choice either... the old calipers were TOAST! since the calipers on the Red car are in (semmingly) good shape.. I want to try the other method...

SO... which Brake pads are best for aggressive street (street driven like it's a time trial wink.gif ) for under $100(ish) per axle... I would like to do all 4 wheels for under $200.. .I already have new bearings(front) and new rotors(all 4) and a 19mm M/C... and a "T" if needed(?)

also, where can I get the pads at a good price online? I went to several sites today that had racing/street pads... but didn't seem to know exactly what was right for my car... one even listed all 914 pads as the same... front or rear, regardless of year blink.gif SCARY! if there is not an online source, then where?

thanks!!
seanery
I just received my Porterfield R4S pads. I got them from Livermore Performance. $58/axle. The R4 is a track pad and the R4S is the street version. As soon as my hubs and rotors come in I'll tell you how they work.
RocknRollFrenzy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 25 2004, 01:27 PM)
... one even listed all 914 pads as the same... front or rear, regardless of year blink.gif SCARY! if there is not an online source, then where?

thanks!!

apparently some places have you use the same pads for both front and rear, but you have to open up one of the holes to fit the retaining pins on the set that you put on the rear. can't say if this is a good idea or not, but it never really seemed like the best way to go to me. incidentally, i'll be in need of some new pads fairly soon as well, so start posting folks. the more input the better.
Aaron Cox
smile.gif ive been using jurid pads. they seem to do okay
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 25 2004, 03:29 PM)
I just received my Porterfield R4S pads. I got them from Livermore Performance. $58/axle. The R4 is a track pad and the R4S is the street version. As soon as my hubs and rotors come in I'll tell you how they work.

that seems like a a good deal! let me know how they work, I want to order soon...

ive been using jurid pads. they seem to do okay

are they a softer/more OE type of pad? or more of an aggressive? which model?
DuckRyder
I like hawks (HPS) on all my stuff.

Performance carrys them if you can stand to deal with them.
seanery
I've used Hawks on my other cars in the past. They don't have a HPS rear pad available for the teener.
I like them, but they can squeak a bit when cold.
steve@ottosvenice.com
MINTEX C-TECH Brake Pad Set
Sport
M1144
Suitable for Club, Rally,
High-Performance Street
Vehicles and Autocross.

PAGID S (RS 4-2-1)
Brake Pad Set
Sport
RS 4-2-1 (Blue)

PAGID RACING
Brake Pad Set
Sport
RS 4-2-1 (Blue)
Brake Pad Set
Racing
RS 4-4 (Orange)
This has a higher fade
resistance and a higher
average friction value
than the RS 4-2.

For the Rear
MINTEX C-TECH
M 1144

These may be what you looking for? Steve
Matt Romanowski
On the street, your never going to get the same abuse as at the track. But, I'm like you and run a "race" pad all the time. I have tried lots of pads, but I'm using Porterfield R4 right now and am extremely happy. With my 2270 and stock calipers all around, I have over 30 sessions on the pads and they are just needing replacement. This compares with ~6 for a set of Ferodos.

Matt
tat2dphreak
I think I am going to give those porterfields (R4S) a shot...

now... should I replace the valve w/ a "T"? I almost want to just to keep from bleeding the damn valve... such a PITA! is this a bad idea? I replaced it in my other car, b/c of the BMW brakes...
RocknRollFrenzy
if you're using the stock brakes, i'd keep the valve. its there for a reason, annoying as it may be.
brant
I have portefields in a focus right now and a suburban before that... and ginter had the street compound in his teener that he sold...

I really do like them on the street...

BUT THEY ARE SQUEEKEY........

brant
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 26 2004, 12:49 PM)
I have portefields in a focus right now and a suburban before that... and ginter had the street compound in his teener that he sold...

brant

unsure.gif

if the squeak is that bad, can anything be done about it? that makes me second guess...
seanery
my hawks squeaked when cold, but wouldn't when they were warmed up a bit.
brant
yeah.. I agree with sean..
they aren't so bad after they have been driven a couple of miles around town with a few stop signs worth of heat....

I think stock type pads are good for squeek..
Also, I don't know if EBC makes a teener pad, but I've run them in the focus too and they didn't squeek as bad as the R4S pads...

brant
seanery
I put Hawk HPS in the Range Rover (big & heavy) man, when they were cold they were LOUD! and didn't stop too well.
tat2dphreak
OK, that doesn't bother me, I expected squeak before warm up... I was afraid you meant as long as you drive... wacko.gif

that would drive me NUTS!... ok,ok,ok already too late, but stiill!
Gint

Unless you're on the track... quiet as a mouse then. wink.gif

They did drive me nuts on the street. But man did that car stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.