Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper options for my 911 front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hello,

I have a 71 911T front end on my car with the early 3 inch struts (M calipers I think). It works pretty good but the calipers are not the greatest and was thinking to upgrade to something better but still keep the 15 inch Fuch alloy wheels on the car.

I also have some other 911 struts here which I believe are from a SC model that have bad inserts and the 3.5 inch spacing but no calipers...

I was thinking of going with the later struts and finding some nice calipers for them but would like to keep the 15 inch wheels. There seems to be good deals on 968 calipers (front and rear) here locally and wonder if anybody has done something like that.

I also saw in the Automation/Performance Products catalog that they have a big brake kit to fit 15 inch wheels and that looks good and will fit the 3.5 inch struts but kind of pricey...does anybody know what those calipers are off of? 944 Turbo or something like that?

Both of my front ends need new inserts

Can I use my 911T A arms with the 911SC struts ?

Anything would be nice or some pictures of other peoples conversions,

Thank you
SLITS
Use SC or "S" caliper with the 3.5" spacing struts. "S" calipers will be pricey. SC calipers shouldn't be to bad.

Actually, the calipers you have should provide more than adequate braking if the system is up to par.
Michael N
I've just installed these on my wife’s car. I purchased from Eric (PMB). Here is the link for the M caliper upgrade. I have installed them and bled them until my wife's legs wore out. I didn't get enough pressure to complete the bleeding but, I believe they will have incredible stopping power using the BMW upgrade pad size with the vented rotors for cooling. I need to wait for the weekend to get back at them to finish the bleeding and road test. I am excited to test these out on the back roads. These fit perfect under the 15" rims. These calipers are feather light. I will post in a thread once I've bled the system properly to have a firm pedal and have road tested. These are a great solution to get bigger and lighter brakes without changing to 911 3.5" spacing struts.

Click to view attachment
nsr-jamie
Thanks for the info, how about these calipers? What are they? Looks like they need adapters or brackets.

IPB Image

The pic is from Automotion

I was kind of hoping to upgrade to a newer caliper if possible,,,anyone done something like this
PeeGreen 914
I think that would be the Boxster brakes upgrade. Seems like a nice upgrade but just may be too much brake for your car. These little cars don't need that big of a brake if the system is in good operation and you are using good pads. Those Brembos from PMB would be the hot ticket if you asked me. I have S calipers on mine but they were not cheep and need the 3 1/2 spacing while the Brembos go on the 3 spacing perfectly. beerchug.gif
jt914-6
I'm using C2/Brembo front calipers and the Carrera rotors. Got the setup from Rich Johnson. Strut brake mounting was modified for the caliper. Frozen rotors and Hawk street compound pads.
Rears are C2 Turbo calipers and frozen Carrera rotors. Front and rear use the same pads which is handy.

Click to view attachment
d914
I have extra SC brakes,,,,I would recomend a re-build though...Ive got willwoods to put on!!
charliew
Someone on the club said that there was a discussion on world about a brembo off of another car that would bolt to the 3.0 strut.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 2 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Someone on the club said that there was a discussion on world about a brembo off of another car that would bolt to the 3.0 strut.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94047
Racer
Ok.. I'll ask... why do you think you NEED bigger brakes? What kind of HP does your car have? How do you drive the car? Just searching for bling?

How's the rest of your current brake set up? Rear upgraded? Master cylinder? fluid type? pads? etc...

I ran a 2056 motor in my old 914 and upgraded to '84-'89 911 Carerra brakes/struts over the years.. Same pads as the SC brakes, but slightly thicker rotors. Went several track events on the same pads. More brakes than I ever needed.

Super large brakes will just add weight. 930 brakes are my favorite brakes for 15" wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.