Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of my 914 I picked up today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jcambo7
My 914 on the car dolley piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment
This is the bad left front fender as u can tell. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment
This is the used good left front fender that came with the car. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Speedometer of course. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

More pics r coming.
aktion035.gif
McMark
Sweet! cool.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 31 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Sweet! cool.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif Engine pics r coming up next.
jcambo7
Click to view attachment

The keys n key chain that came with it wub.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Some parts
Click to view attachment
dlo914
Nice find, looks to be a 2.0L (correct me if i'm wrong). How's the hell hole?
jcambo7
Any one know what these r cuz I sure dont?
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

PeeGreen 914
Looks nice James. Love the Rennshifter in there. That's worth what you paid for the car right there.
jcambo7
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 31 2009, 10:32 PM) *

Nice find, looks to be a 2.0L (correct me if i'm wrong). How's the hell hole?

Correct. It's a '73 2.0L FI. The hell hole looks fine. Didnt take the batt out to look at it more cuz I got back to Oklahoma City around 8 pm n didnt have time to do a lot of pokin around cuz I still had to return the dolley and truck. Tomorrow morning I will hopefully have time to go through the car more thoroughly and organise all the parts n stuff that came with it. Also to look for where all the rusty areas r at.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 31 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Looks nice James. Love the Rennshifter in there. That's worth what you paid for the car right there.

Yeah I know man. It sure is purty. I like the knob that's on it too. wub.gif
dlo914
If you don't mind me asking...how much did you pick up the car for?
dlee6204

Those are sway bar supports welded to the inside of the rear trunk.

Nice looking car you got there! smilie_pokal.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 31 2009, 10:40 PM) *

If you don't mind me asking...how much did you pick up the car for?

I dont mind at all. I paid 500 for it. Got it from Willie Bennet down in Grand Prairie, TX.
jcambo7
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 31 2009, 10:41 PM) *

Thanks. Was that a joke cuz I dont understand? poke.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:43 PM) *

I think it's the circled areas in the rear trunk:
IPB Image
jcambo7
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 31 2009, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:43 PM) *

I think it's the circled areas in the rear trunk:
IPB Image

Ah I c. I will go look right now. Be back in 10 min.
dlee6204
Yeah my bad. The trapezoidal pieces that are spot-welded to them are the sway bar backing plates which are welded to the inside of the trunk.
SirAndy
No. Those are the support brackets for the rear sway bar. Your car doesn't have a rear sway bar, so if you ever going to install one, you'd need those plates.

However, they're readily available new for cheap without the surface rust.
shades.gif Andy
jcambo7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2009, 11:02 PM) *

No. Those are the support brackets for the rear sway bar. Your car doesn't have a rear sway bar, so if you ever going to install one, you'd need those plates.

However, they're readily available new for cheap without the surface rust.
shades.gif Andy

Thanks Andy. Would it be worth fixing up the ones I got or just buying new ones if I ever do put rear sway bars in?
Sleepin
Gotta be a good feeling! I remember bringing home the first 914 (when I was 19) ...It was great!!!

Congrats man! Looks like a lot of work, but that pays off in the end! Awesome deal for $500!
PeeGreen 914
Eh, don't worry about the rear bar. You have a lot of work to do and a rear bar is far from something you need. Actually, you may never even want one wink.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 31 2009, 11:15 PM) *

Gotta be a good feeling! I remember bringing home the first 914 (when I was 19) ...It was great!!!

Congrats man! Looks like a lot of work, but that pays off in the end! Awesome deal for $500!

Yeah it is a great feeling. I have been wanting a teener for a long time now n now I finally have one. Thanks. beerchug.gif driving.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 31 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Eh, don't worry about the rear bar. You have a lot of work to do and a rear bar is far from something you need. Actually, you may never even want one wink.gif

Hey now. I know I got a lot of work to do but that's why I said if I do decide to put them in Jonny. chair.gif av-943.gif
jcambo7
The shifter knob. Sorry flash ruined the pic. have to get one tomorrow.
Click to view attachment
Front trunk
Click to view attachment
Correct me if I'm worng but these r heat exchangers right?
Click to view attachment
jcambo7
Some extra turn signals
Click to view attachment
Brand new gas tank but no cap...hm...oh well. Im not complaining...yet at least. av-943.gif
Click to view attachment
TC 914-8
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:53 PM) *

Hey Great score for the $$$, You now have the bug, I mean Teener bug.

[b]Andy, Did you jot down the Vin for the records update???shades.gif
brant
I think I see daylight near the hell hole area (in one of your motor pictures)

poke around in there real well to assess for structural safety of the hell hole.

congrats on your first 914
bet it won't be your last!

brant
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 31 2009, 09:56 PM) *

I saw that too, but it's in the engine tin ...
shades.gif Andy
brant
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2009, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 31 2009, 09:56 PM) *

I saw that too, but it's in the engine tin ...
shades.gif Andy

your right..
its the J tube hole or something!

brant
jcambo7
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 31 2009, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 31 2009, 08:53 PM) *

Hey Great score for the $$$, You now have the bug, I mean Teener bug.

[b]Andy, Did you jot down the Vin for the records update???shades.gif

Thanks. I thought so too. Yep I sure did. In fact I got the title right next to my computer. I have had the bug just no teener to go with it.
jcambo7
I had a question on one the pics I posted. It was whether or not those rusted pipes are heat exchangers? idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yes they are. beerchug.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 1 2009, 12:29 AM) *

Yes they are. beerchug.gif

Sweet. So I got an extra set than. beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
Hopefully the ones on your car are SSIs. Stainless heat exchangers are the desirable ones.
jcambo7
One thing I found out while trying to put the car on the car dolley to bring her home was that the e-brake doesn't work. headbang.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 1 2009, 12:34 AM) *

Hopefully the ones on your car are SSIs. Stainless heat exchangers are the desirable ones.

Ooh...that would be nice. Looks like I got another mission tomorrow. To see if mine r. How do u tell if they r or not? R they shiny or something? poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well, yeah. They are made out of stainless steel so they do not rust.

Now I'm off to the garage to do some welding welder.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 1 2009, 12:44 AM) *

Well, yeah. They are made out of stainless steel so they do not rust.

Now I'm off to the garage to do some welding welder.gif

Good luck with that. My bed is calling my name... yellowsleep[1].gif
cwpeden
Click to view attachment

That whole gas cap assembly is attached with 8 small bolts with a gasket under it

The overflow tube attaches to the gas cap assembly and goes through a hole to the street under the gas tank just aft of the front suspension cover plate

The plastic piece goes under the strap that holds your gas tank in.

Under the overflow tube is one of the rubber blocks that hold the gas tank. They are molded to fit the fenderwell and the slot fits to the seam on the edge of the tank.

I dont see an expansoin tank or charcoal filter though. There is plumbing for it there....

Clear as mud? blink.gif

Good score,
Have fun!
Todd Enlund
Sweet! Love the steelies...
jcambo7
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Apr 1 2009, 01:22 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That whole gas cap assembly is attached with 8 small bolts with a gasket under it

The overflow tube attaches to the gas cap assembly and goes through a hole to the street under the gas tank just aft of the front suspension cover plate

The plastic piece goes under the strap that holds your gas tank in.

Under the overflow tube is one of the rubber blocks that hold the gas tank. They are molded to fit the fenderwell and the slot fits to the seam on the edge of the tank.

I dont see an expansoin tank or charcoal filter though. There is plumbing for it there....

Clear as mud? blink.gif

Good score,
Have fun!

blink.gif I feel dumb. Thanks for pointing all those parts out to me. beerchug.gif
Tom
Sweet deal. Welcome to the madness.
That's the same shift knob I have on mine. I like it too!
Good luck on getting things back together and running. Take your time and do it right the first time. I would drop the engine and trans and do some in-depth cleaning and replace seals, gaskets, etc. Others here will have a better list of things to do before starting the engine up. For sure fuel line, hoses, points, plugs ,fuel filter.
Again welcome, and good luck on your new project.
Tom
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would certainly try to repair the fender (we would be able to do it) to preserve the unibody integrity and the originality of the car. Whenever a fender is cut off of a 914 they are just never the same again, as it is hard to execute a perfect undetectable job.
jcambo7
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 1 2009, 11:15 AM) *

I would certainly try to repair the fender (we would be able to do it) to preserve the unibody integrity and the originality of the car. Whenever a fender is cut off of a 914 they are just never the same again, as it is hard to execute a perfect undetectable job.

Well I have a whole front left fender that came with the car. It's in good condition. Their is a pic of it in the thread. I think page 2.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 1 2009, 08:15 AM) *

agree.gif A year or so back we had a major controversy involving someone who thought Yeaman Auto Body should have done a better job of concealing the butt welded repair to their left front fender. The guy was pretty pissed as I recall that Yeaman had done this to his Dad's car. Yeaman is one of the best body shops for Porsche work around. They really know our cars.

We have become a society of remove and replace when it regards our cars. A skilled body man could repair that.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 1 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Well I have a whole front left fender that came with the car. It's in good condition. Their is a pic of it in the thread. I think page 2.

Yes, but... The existing has to be cut off not unbolted. The used replacement has to be fit and butt welded. What you have there could be repaired. As George has hinted, your body is your frame. When you cut out sections and weld in new, you do weaken your body/frame.
jcambo7
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2009, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 1 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Yes, but... The existing has to be cut off not unbolted. The used replacement has to be fit and butt welded. What you have there could be repaired. As George has hinted, your body is your frame. When you cut out sections and weld in new, you do weaken your body/frame.

Ah I c n understand now. How could it be fixed?
So.Cal.914
Is that a late 74 speedo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.