Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with motor mesh removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rock914
Hey guys, I need some help with how to remove the mesh grills that sit above the engine compartment. Mine have faded and they need to be removed and repainted. I don’t want to mask them off and paint them in place. I did a search here but was unable to find any thing. It appears that they are plastic retaining clips that hold the mesh in place. Can these be reused after they are removed? Are there any tricks to removing them intact? If not, can they be purchased? Thanks for your help.

Bob
Jeffs9146
I used a pair of "dyke" wire cutters and either an 8mm or a 10mm wrench!? Cant remember which but use the cutters to put outward pressure as you spin the nut counter clockwise!
VaccaRabite
It is held on by speed nuts. No turning required.

Grab the nut with a stout pair of plyers and pull. Wiggle around as needed. It will come off.

Zach
rhodyguy
plan on new nuts. squeeze the existing nuts in halve 2 times. it's fast, they will fall apart. when pins start coming off of letters and numbers they become more trash.
Jeffs9146
No turning required

I have done this many times and if you turn them while putting outward pressure they will be able to be reused!

JoeSharp
Ace has a speed nut to replace them with.
rock914
thanks guys! looks like I need to get new ones on order.

Bob
silverteener
I was able to reuse mine. Be careful taking them off and you might be able to salvage them.
76-914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 6 2009, 09:18 AM) *

No turning required

I have done this many times and if you turn them while putting outward pressure they will be able to be reused!

agree.gif
Rusty
The pins on the mesh grills are studier than the pins on the letters... but still be careful when removing the speed nuts. It's not a difficult job.

A good hardware store will have what you need. You might consider looking for rubber coated speed nuts. I think I remember Fastenal (the hardware distributor) having some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.