Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Angle Drive Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I think I've figured this out, and if so, then I'm missing what might be a critical piece. Tell me what you think.

Gear drive | Seal | Al housing (with O ring) | Angle drive

Click to view attachment

Is there supposed to be a washer between the drive gear and the seal??
jonferns
Hmm...good question. Just had mine apart a few days ago to replace the o-ring, which is the angle drive seal. I should've taken a picture while it was apart, sorry I can't be of any help.
McMark
63 is the seal
62 is listed a 'sealing washer'

I don't have one apart here to look at.
MBowman325
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2009, 06:35 PM) *

63 is the seal
62 is listed a 'sealing washer'

I don't have one apart here to look at.

OK. That's what I was hoping for... Now. How the hell do you get that out???

I'm actually glad this happened. I've been in the garage since I got home. I didn't know that there were some big fires going on around me. Just stepped onto the porch and the eastern sky is lit up. Tinker is north of my, so not sure how bad it is there. (Heard over 100 homes have gone down, and they've quitting on houses trying to contain grass fires... Guess I need to load up... Damn wind.
MBowman325
Disregard. I managed to pry it out without any apparent damage. Did spend almost five minutes looking for it afterwards though.
kconway
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Apr 9 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Disregard. I managed to pry it out without any apparent damage. Did spend almost five minutes looking for it afterwards though.

62 is an aluminum crush washer...need it.

Click to view attachment

Look here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=angle+drive
MBowman325
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 9 2009, 07:52 PM) *

That was the thread I was looking for earlier. Found the other two that I remembered about slow leaks of the 901.

I buttoned it up earlier after changing the reverse pin and filled it back up with fluid. Drove it down to the gas station and the shifts feel different now... Must be how I have the seat biggrin.gif . (Changed rear springs (shocks still dead) and fuel filter / front lines.)

Just in time for the weather to turn chilly again....
SirAndy
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Apr 9 2009, 05:56 PM) *

Tell me what you think.

Gear drive | Seal | Al housing (with O ring) | Angle drive

I think you got the seal on the wrong end.
shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty

Click to view attachment

I'll guarantee that, while it MAY be aluminum, it's NOT a "crush" washer. The Cap'n
kconway
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 9 2009, 08:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'll guarantee that, while it MAY be aluminum, it's NOT a "crush" washer. The Cap'n

Whatever...it's a washer that gets deformed once installed...call it what you want.

SirAndy
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 9 2009, 09:15 PM) *

Whatever...it's a washer that gets deformed once installed...

I don't think so ...

When i replaced mine, it was pretty thick and solid. You would have a hard time getting that thing deformed short of hitting it with a hammer.

Crush washers usually are hollow or folded over to allow the metal to deform.
bye1.gif Andy
kconway
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2009, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 9 2009, 09:15 PM) *

Whatever...it's a washer that gets deformed once installed...

I don't think so ...

When i replaced mine, it was pretty thick and solid. You would have a hard time getting that thing deformed short of hitting it with a hammer.

Crush washers usually are hollow or folded over to allow the metal to deform.
bye1.gif Andy

Yeah, maybe I'm calling an apple an orange here and maybe the one I replaced was buggered up by the PO. Here is a photo of the seal I removed, it where it was deformed. biggrin.gif
BEFORE
Click to view attachment

AFTER
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.