Full Version: Rubber bumper top 914-503-023-10 70-74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
racerbvd
YIPPI!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Mikey914
More pictures added at top of thread also
number6
Mark, the piece looks great! Please put me down for one, for now.

-duc
9144m
I would like one front

Andy
72 914-6 2.5 project
Mikey914
Thanks to all who have paid. These will start shipping on the end of next week (May 8th in the order they are paid for). Thanks to those of you who have paid, these will ship out a couple per day as they will be packed wekk and I will need to drop off at FedEx.
-Mark
Rick_Eberle
I'm in for one, if you can figure out an economical way to get it to Australia... (I'm not in a hurry... surface shipping is fine...)
Sleepin
Underwater shipping can get expensive! biggrin.gif poke.gif
number6
Mark, for future runs, would it be possible to get out the slight dimples? I understand OEM pieces came that way due to the materials and manufacturing process...and that you templated yours on an original... Just thought I'd ask. On the flipside, if the dimples stay, the piece will look more authentic, yeah? smile.gif

-duc
ChrisFoley
I want two!
Mikey914
QUOTE(number6 @ Apr 26 2009, 08:45 PM) *

Mark, for future runs, would it be possible to get out the slight dimples? I understand OEM pieces came that way due to the materials and manufacturing process...and that you templated yours on an original... Just thought I'd ask. On the flipside, if the dimples stay, the piece will look more authentic, yeah? smile.gif

-duc

For the most part there aren't any dimples on the part. Other than the contours that run horizontally. The dimpling is mainly a product of the sub structure rusting. As all my sub-structure is stainless, so that should not be an issue.
number6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Apr 26 2009, 08:45 PM) *

-duc

For the most part there aren't any dimples on the part. Other than the contours that run horizontally. The dimpling is mainly a product of the sub structure rusting. As all my sub-structure is stainless, so that should not be an issue.

Mark, sorry I wasn't being clear. Please see photo attached - I pointed to a few spots that are indicative of what I'm referring to. Am not trying to find fault with your work, as I think your piece is beautiful! I see the same surface imperfections on new OEM pads. Just curious why they're there and whether it would be possible to manufacture new pieces w/o them. The rear moulding doesn't seem to have this issue, from the ones I've seen, OEM or aftermarket (aftermarket being better/straigher, actually, probably due to the density and slight texture difference).

I know I'm a little rententive...but I seriously have had people ask why I didn't install a new front pad when I had replaced all my other exterior trim, even though my pad was new! It was the surface wrinkles that gave the impression that the piece was worn.

-duc
Mikey914
I can see what you see in the picture, the part really don't look like it has a dimple on it. I thing the lighting had something to do with it. We were trying to eliminate that. I'm looking at the part right now and I can't really see a dimple. Here's some pictures in the daylight.
number6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2009, 08:56 AM) *

I can see what you see in the picture, the part really don't look like it has a dimple on it. I thing the lighting had something to do with it. We were trying to eliminate that. I'm looking at the part right now and I can't really see a dimple. Here's some pictures in the daylight.

Thanks for the add'l photos, Mark.

Just tell me where and when to send money smile.gif

-duc
MDG
Nice looking job Mark! This is a part that will be greatly appreciated by this community.

nice man!
inschool
I'm in. PM sent with info.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mark, I'm in for one front, Here is my address 1722 Mt. Sillilliman Way, Antioch Ca. 94531. please give total with S/H John driving.gif
Mikey914
PM sent
rktmn247
Sent paypal last night! Thanks again for doing this.
Mikey914
Thanks to all so far these will start shipping out in about 1 week.
Aircooledfool
Any plans for a matching back bumper? I saw mention of them still being available but would be great to have a matched set.
914Sixer
Really sweet looking product. Keep up the good work.
Mikey914
I will eventually do a back bumper. Even though the response is good for these I still need to sell a few more before I can think of doing any more tooling. I have paid for some other items that once the bugs are worked out on will be announced.

Just out of curiosity, does the rear fail more often (or faster ) than the front?

I noticed the profile along the licence plate is very narrow. This would mean the sheet metal is not too deep and, I would think that it would start to rust faster in that area.
Rick_Eberle
So... any idea of a shipping cost to Australia???
(See post #56)
Mikey914
Best I can find is $80+ $10 for the packing materials. This is insured with signature required. Not cheap but about 3-4 days in transit. This is is you live in a major population area. PM me your specifics (city and zip) and I'll be a official quote.
Gint
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 2 2009, 10:47 PM) *
I will eventually do a back bumper. Even though the response is good for these I still need to sell a few more before I can think of doing any more tooling. I have paid for some other items that once the bugs are worked out on will be announced.

Just out of curiosity, does the rear fail more often (or faster ) than the front?

I noticed the profile along the licence plate is very narrow. This would mean the sheet metal is not too deep and, I would think that it would start to rust faster in that area.

No. In my experience the rear holds up much better than the front. But that thin section of the rear bumper top is a little fragile and tends to be the first area to turn to crap.
Nozzle
QUOTE(Gint @ May 4 2009, 08:42 AM) *

No. In my experience the rear holds up much better than the front. But that thin section of the rear bumper top is a little fragile and tends to be the first area to turn to crap.

My front is actually in pretty good shape (which is why I didn't order a new one now) but the rear is completely failed from rust in the center section and looks very nasty. Very interested in seeing what happens with a future rear replacement. Could probably talk myself into a ft/rr set if the rear is offered down the road.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Nozzle @ May 4 2009, 06:09 AM) *

My front is actually in pretty good shape (which is why I didn't order a new one now) but the rear is completely failed from rust in the center section and looks very nasty. Very interested in seeing what happens with a future rear replacement. Could probably talk myself into a ft/rr set if the rear is offered down the road.

I've heard this from a few of you. There was some concern that the newer rubber has a "fresher" look that some of the NOS ones. I guess well see. Anyone else have an opinion?
ellisor3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 5 2009, 01:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Nozzle @ May 4 2009, 06:09 AM) *

I've heard this from a few of you. There was some concern that the newer rubber has a "fresher" look that some of the NOS ones. I guess well see. Anyone else have an opinion?

Having a new front with an old back is like buying one shoe confused24.gif
Aircooledfool
I would jump on a matched set. Just can't reconcile having a nice new front and a crappy old rear. I really appreciate the investment you are making in these parts...speaking of which...maybe a few "investors" to help offset tooling cost? You obviously have the expertise...maybe share some of the exposure?
Mikey914
I'm actually funding these in place of my 401k and I've thrown in some other money I've had that I'm not getting a decent return on. I figured that if I'm going to loose money I can at least get a write off.

It's going to take awhile to actually get the returns to pay for themselves, but as they do I can take those earnings and make some other items we all need. The key is keeping the cost as low as possible, while making the quality as high as possible.

I appreciate the offer for investment, you are infact investing in my dream every purchase you make. Sounds kind of corny, but the suport from World members is a very large part of my business.

On July 23, 2007 I started with the one rear engine seal, I have continued to produce more extrusions and other items until today. As these larger items start to turn around I will be able to provide more stuff.

It is kind of a sickness. biggrin.gif
kconway
Mark,
Have you given any thought to producing the seal that goes between the front cowl and the fresh air inlet? Need it, I hear what aftermarket parts are available don't fit well.

Kev
Mikey914
Thanks for the heads up Kev. I thought AA had one that was prettty good. Honestly, I could if there's not a source, but I've got 4 items I'm working on right now that will of use to many of us.

The packaging has been alot more than I had anticipated. Danny Gaddy had a problem with Fedex scuffing up his bumper. I had been taking two boxes and taping them together to make one that fit. I had used small bubble wrap to help protect it. Well, in light of the Fedex cahllenge, I had a box made with heavy cardboard and have started packaging in 4mil plactic sleaves, and using larger bubble wrap. Following are some pictures of 3 bumpers shipping out tomorrow.

Yes, Kev, you are one of them.

The production has been a little slower than anticiapated as the rubber actually has to cure to 95% in the mold taking about 5 hours, so were making 2-3 per day.

Sorry it's taking a little longer than anticiapted, but I think you'll find it worth the wait.

ConeDodger
Mike,
Both the front and rear on mine are new three years ago... Bought when they were expensive and available. Now I think the rear is available and fabulously expensive. When that supply runs out contact me if you need a pristine candidate for making the rear ones... I love your work. aktion035.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(kconway @ May 15 2009, 10:43 PM) *

Mark,
Have you given any thought to producing the seal that goes between the front cowl and the fresh air inlet? Need it, I hear what aftermarket parts are available don't fit well.

Kev

we have the air box seals better than ever. Mark has done a tremendous job taking on the bumper top seals. This is the kind of effort that needs to be well commended in the community.
Zimms
I received mine Friday. Very nice work, Mark. I have not put it on yet, but I am very happy with it

Here is a photo with the one on the bottom in very good shape from a parts car, Mark's replacement item, and then a NOS rear from Porsche. Kepp them coming, Mark!

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
I'm looking forward to getting mine!!! Thanks Again for doing this!!!!
my928s4
Got mine Friday also, nice work !!
Pat Garvey
Mark,

Got mine last Thursday - thanks for delaying delivery.

It's a piece of art (though kinda stinky right now). I swear, the mold relases are identical to factory. Great work & I hope you made at least a dew bucks on these.
Pat
montoya 73 2.0
icon_bump.gif

PayPal Sent.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 24 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Mark,

Got mine last Thursday - thanks for delaying delivery.

It's a piece of art (though kinda stinky right now). I swear, the mold relases are identical to factory. Great work & I hope you made at least a dew bucks on these.
Pat

Wow. I'm convinced. If Pat's cheeleading these, they must be really nice.
Sleepin
That is what I am hoping for!
inschool
Just received my bumper top and glass to engine lid seal.

Top quality workmanship and great packaging!

Thank you so much!

piratenanner.gif
Gint
Got mine Wednesday. Thanks Mark!!!!!! It's awesome.
racerbvd
I can't wait to get mine...
Mikey914
I'm actually caught up on these finally and have 2 available.
Mikey914
Just wanted to update the thread if searched.

Now available with stainless internal structure. New ones to start shipping Oct 8, 2010.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110702
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.