Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber bumper top 914-503-023-10 70-74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
I've been asked by a few of of you to look into making these. The tooling is not inexpensive, but there apears to be a need to produce these. We're making some improvements, all the metal in the bumper will be stainless. We will also provide the nuts with nylon lock nuts. The rubber will be slighly harder. I will have the first samples in about 4-5 weeks. Production will be about 2 weeks after.

These sell at $335.

Pictures of the parts will be posted as soon as they're ready. More pictures added on page 3 also.
type47
I need a rear bumper top. Put me on the list.
Mikey914
Rear bumpers are still available, although not inexpensive. I may do those at some point in the future, but I thought that I'd start with what was not available, and make some improvements to the attachment that should make them last longer.
Gint
1 front bumper pad. Yes please put me on the list Mark.
914four
I would like one as well.

Kelvin
JeffBowlsby
Mike,

Your other rubber products are top notch from what we have seen so far...no doubt this will be too. Can you describe the details? I agree with you on the ethics of not producing a part that is still available OEM...that has a lot of integrity.

I assume these will be molded and identical in dimensions? Why will the rubber need to be harder? Will the texture be like the original or smooth? What differences if any from the OEM part?
kconway
Mike,
assuming the first production run is as spot on as your other products, I'm in.

Put me in line.
THANK YOU! beerchug.gif
Kev
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 10 2009, 10:12 PM) *

Mike,

Your other rubber products are top notch from what we have seen so far...no doubt this will be too. Can you describe the details? I agree with you on the ethics of not producing a part that is still available OEM...that has a lot of integrity.

I assume these will be molded and identical in dimensions? Why will the rubber need to be harder? Will the texture be like the original or smooth? What differences if any from the OEM part?

These will be molded in identical dimensions, the hard part was finding a candidate that was in the correct dimensions to make identical to. Most of the samples I came across were warped, or split, which we could work with, but Craig had a pristine one he let me borrow. This helped speed up the process by not having to extrapolate what the shape should be.

The rubber would not have to be harder, but it will not absorb water as readily, and would actually be more abrasion resistant. It's the texture will be like the OEM, not smooth and shinny like a fiberglass part. The idea is to keep it as close to OEM as possible making improvements where they make the most sense.

To the observer the only way to tell the part is not OEM is that the mounting studs will not rust and the Porsche stamp will not be on the part. Some of the cavities on the bottom may be slightly different, but those will not be seen.

Hope that answers some of the questions.
t collins
Please count me in for one!
Thanks,
Tom
okieflyr
Count me in for 1 as well smile.gif

Thanks!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2009, 09:08 PM) *

I've been asked by a few of of you to look into making these. The tooling is not inexpensive, but there apears to be a need to produce these. We're making some improvements, all the metal in the bumper will be stainless. We will also provide the nuts with nylon lock nuts. The rubber will be slighly harder. I will have the first samples in about 4-5 weeks. Production will be about 2 weeks after.

These will sell at about $295, I will be offering a discount for those who want to line up for the production run. So, the real question is who needs these?

They will be $265 for those of you put you name on the list now. After production begins they'll be available at the normal price.

Pictures of the parts will be posted as soon as they're ready.

Right now all I can do is say "Thanks." smilie_pokal.gif
my928s4
Add me to the list, thanks !
Sleepin
Awesome! Please put me in for one!

Thank you for making these available again!
seanery
I'm probably in for one....$ is tight, when will you need it?
Zimms
I'm in for 1.
Rotary'14
I want one too!
PanelBilly
Looks like the value of my NOS pad is going the direction of my bank stock!
SirAndy
I don't need any, just wanted to say thanks for going through the trouble of making these!

pray.gif beerchug.gif Andy
edrotol
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2009, 09:08 PM) *

These will sell at about $295, I will be offering a discount for those who want to line up for the production run. So, the real question is who needs these?

They will be $265 for those of you put you name on the list now. After production begins they'll be available at the normal price.

Put me in for two (2) at the lower price. please. Thanks.
Mikey914
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 11 2009, 07:08 AM) *

I'm probably in for one....$ is tight, when will you need it?

No cash will be accepted until the firts article is complete (and I'm satisfied) I'll post detailed pictures. Once were in production and I can Guarantee a shipping date, I'll start taking money. Right now you're in line in the order you posted. These will weigh about 8 lbs each + packing at another 6lbs. The packing may be a little more weight depending on how I wind up packing. Start saving you $$ you have a few weeks still. I apprecite your support.
Mikey914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 11 2009, 08:20 AM) *

The market of people that are looking for new old stock bumpers will be the concourse guys. Mine are reproductions, and will not have the factory markings. Your potential market will shrink, but the rarety of what you have will still comand a premium. I'ld hold on to it.
JRust
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2009, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 11 2009, 08:20 AM) *

The market of people that are looking for new old stock bumpers will be the concourse guys. Mine are reproductions, and will not have the factory markings. Your potential market will shrink, but the rarety of what you have will still comand a premium. I'ld hold on to it.

Put me down for 2 biggrin.gif
KevinP
Put me in for one, as my restoration project is getting closer to the END!!!

TIA,

KP
Rusty
Mark,

Please put me down for two - one for each car. Based on the quality of your other stuff, I don't need pictures. Let me know when to send a check.

-Rusty
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2009, 10:08 PM) *

Mike,
Put me in for one. Don't need it now, but I will. I'm such a parts whore!

And...thanks!
Pat

ps: LMK when to/how to pay.
Slick914
I'll take one. Please send a PM if I miss the post when they're ready.
jonferns
Money's tight but I really want one of these, so put me on the list. I better start saving laugh.gif Thanks for doing this, I was starting to worry about what would become of my front bumper pad.
crxnug
put me in line for a front one
Mikey914
Thanks guys, response has been good so far.
Pat Garvey

Ok, I don't need it NOW, but put me in for one. What is wrong with me? Yeah, I mean it, I'm in.

Someone help me!
Pat
shelby/914
I'm in for one.
rhd914
HI, i'll be in that.
Thanks
Geoff.
maxwelj
Please put me down for one. Thanks for doing this!
Mikey914
Well here's the update. Things are going well, The rubber tooling has been completed. I didn't even have the substructure back from the machine shop yet. Wow, that was fast! I had to fab up a part quickly to take down for molding. It isn't as pretty at the final product as there were weld marks on the stainless ( the production ones will be polished. I'm tools the article for approval will be done on Friday, so I will be posting pictures.

I appreciate all the support I have recieved so far, but if this work out the way I hope, we will be doing tooling for a solid rubber dash top. The OEM one had vinyl vaccume formed around a foam rubber and steel sub-structure. The new one would be a solid rubber, and we could emulate the same factory pattern. This is a way out as it will be a while before I can recoupe what I've got into these, but your support enables me to continue down this path.

-Mark
AKA mikey 914
GaroldShaffer
Damn how did I miss this slap.gif If not to late for the pre-sale run please put me on the list.

tango-52
Add me to the list. The other stuff I got from you was great. I'm sure this will be just as good.
a914luvr
PM sent - Pelican will buy at least 3 of them. Thanks
norcalwtc
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2009, 08:08 PM) *

I would like to be placed on your list also when they are ready and you are happy with them. Brooks
norcalwtc bohlson@surewest.net Granite Bay, Ca
dyw914
Please put me down for 1. Thanks
Pat Garvey

Hell Mike,

I'll need one sooner or later. May as well be yours.

Put me in, though I need some seroius help.

Yeah, I'll take one & count me in.
Pat
racerbvd
I'm in for one as well biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Yes, this is a steel Bumper that Gary Stratton moddded for me!! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Geezer914
Put me down for one. Thanks
rktmn247
I would like in also. Just hope the shipping does'nt kill me!
rwjames
Put me down for one front bumper pad also.

Thanks,
Mikey914
Good news, and bad news.

Good News is the first article is done!!!! this means production will begin in about 10-12 days. The only this that could delay it a day or two is the substructure mountings. I got one out of the machine shop that I had welded up and brought over to mold onto the same day. The rest will not be ready until next week. I have to get those welded and over to production to be formed into the bumper. Depending on how my week goes it may be Wednesday before I can have them over there, production is about a week afer.

The bad news is they misfigured the volume of ruber these will require. This means the cost is $18 more per unit. I will honor the $265 price for all of you that have comitted to purchse to date. I still have pre-production purchases available at $283 for those of you that had not comitted to date. After May 5th, the full price will be $312.
Mikey914
Good news, and bad news.

Good News is the first article is done!!!! this means production will begin in about 10-12 days. The only this that could delay it a day or two is the substructure mountings. I got one out of the machine shop that I had welded up and brought over to mold onto the same day. The rest will not be ready until next week. I have to get those welded and over to production to be formed into the bumper. Depending on how my week goes it may be Wednesday before I can have them over there, production is about a week afer.

The bad news is they misfigured the volume of ruber these will require. This means the cost is $18 more per unit. I will honor the $265 price for all of you that have comitted to purchse to date. I still have pre-production purchases available at $283 for those of you that had not comitted to date. After May 5th, the full price will be $312.

There are some pictures of the production part sitting on a crappy bumper I have to check alignment. It look pretty good for the first part. Say Craig today and showed it to him. His response was favorable, but we still have a few minor things to tweek to get right. There were 3 very small bubles in the rubber that were on the back exposed edge, this is partially because they didn't get enough rubber squeezed in.

The last picture shows the normal bumper compared to the reproduction. Also notice the OEM style mounts with the hard eurathane bushing. The reproduction parts has stainless there. Unfortunately I didn'nt have the opportunity to polish the mounting hardware, Imay just leave them as they are as they are unexposed.

I'll post some better pictures on Saturday when I get back over to Craig's. He said I could take some with it on the 6 he's restoring.
markb
Nice work! I'm sure we'll take at least 2 when you're ready.
ellisor3
They look great, nice work as always. piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
I'll be sending out requests for addresses so I can figure out the shipping Satutday. I'm working on getting the packaging figured out today. I'll be in contact with you all soon.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 24 2009, 10:24 AM) *

I'll be sending out requests for addresses so I can figure out the shipping Satutday. I'm working on getting the packaging figured out today. I'll be in contact with you all soon.

Hi Mark,

Thanks as always for the great work you are doing.

I am in for one - let me know the shipping details as you get them.

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.