Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new shop addition is finished
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
It's been finished for a few weeks now, but I have been so wide open with other things that I have not had the time to post any pictures of the new facility.

These pictures I'll be sharing are courtesy of Scott Burel of Burel Photography, Scott is a member of the Athens VW Club who attended a tech day/ dyno tuning event here last weekend as part of a mini- grand opening that we had for the locals.

The goals for the new facility were:
-Add a chassis dyno to complete our R&D capabilities and to provide testing capabilities for our work with the Porsche M96 engine. The chassis dyno was also added so we can further evaluate aircooled test engines once they are applied into a test vehicle.

-Add an area for Customer's engines to be installed since we have had serious issues with engines being installed incorrectly over the past two years or so.

-Provide another spotlessly clean environment for engine assembly. This area can double for aircooled assembly or M96 assembly.

-Add a presentation room for our training classes at the "Aircooled University".

-Add an area for video production, as well as an area for recording the Radio Shows. The presentation room can double as a video production room as well, when not in use for classes.

- Add a break room for Employees that doubles as a break room for those attending our classes at the Aircooled University.

- Add a waiting area for customers that stop by from time to time, so they can visit without being in a hazardous workshop setting. For years we were not open to visitors because we had no proper area for them.

-Add another "project control" room for the M96 components that are awaiting assembly.

- Add an office for yours truly so I could move out of the dyno control room and actually organize my things the proper way.

When I started this project the original plans changed very quickly and my "do it all the way now" traits kicked in.. Lets just say that meant adding another 2,000 square feet to the project and stretching the second floor the full size of the ground floor!

The pictures below are the result of a ton of effort from our entire team as this entire building was built with our own hands, the same hands that build engines, fill orders and make things happen here. As a matter of fact, the only thing that I paid anyone to do was the drywall work, because I HATE drywall! Our team worked by day on our normal obligations and then we'd put evenings and weekends into the shop, we did all of this in under 3 months time! The only way I can be pleased is to do something myself and lets just say this entire shop is built with overkill engineering applied everywhere!

Here are the pictures... We'll be doing a video of the entire construction of the shop soon as well as a video tour for the website.

Here is an outside shot of the Mountain Power House.. Still in need of landscaping that we'll be doing as soon as the rain stops for a few days!
IPB Image

Here is the main body of the shop area. The lift for doing installs doubles as a quick and easy way to make changes to test vehicles that are being evaluated on the chassis dyno. Its very quick and easy to roll the car off the dyno, make some changes and get it right back on and ready foir a re-test!

We have plenty of room to test vehicles and do installations at the same time.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Here is the heart of the Dyno-Jet chassis dyno
IPB Image

This area is the clean room used for engine assembly for the M96 engines primarily. All work benches are built from 2" thickwall box tubing covered with 11 gauge stainless steel built at RAT!

On the bench is a 3.2 Boxster S engine going to 3.6 liters and just over 300 HP..
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now lets climb the "Stairway to Heaven" to the second story of the Mountain Power House.
IPB Image

This is the customer waiting area/ lobby.
IPB Image

Here is my Office...
IPB Image

This is the Presentation room where we will soon be sharing our knowledge with others in one, two and four day workshops on a multitude of subjects.
Here, Charles from LN Engineering prepares for a presentation on modern oils for the Athens VW Club.
IPB Image

Here is the break room
IPB Image

And here are a few more good shots from some other various areas of the RAT Compound.

IPB Image

These are the controls of both our engine dynos, shared in what was my office for almost a decade.

IPB Image

The aircooled engine assembly area
IPB Image

This new facility has taken us to the next level, a level beyond the scope of most general engine production facilities. This is an area where we not only produce, but we research and develop and now we can teach and share as well. All of this happens in a small town in the Mountains of North East Georgia where we enjoy watching wild life right out our office windows along with the ability to go fishing when things get a little too crazy paced with a quick walk to our Pond.

A few weeks ago an Atlanta area Client that brought his 996 to us for some work asked me "Why are you so far out here, Jake?" I replied "Listen".... He waited a few seconds and said "I don't hear anything."..... I then told him that he answered his own question.

Thanks to all our Customers, friends and believers. Without you there would be no reason for this facility and I'd have to go find a job...

The addition of this facility now completes the RAT compound. We have everything we need to do anything necessary to construct the World's most Researched and Developed hand crafted engines.
stepuptotheMike
Congrats Jake! Everything looks great.

Mike
carr914
Congrats on the expansion. I'm sure you will enjoy the comforts of an office.

T.C.
DNHunt
My gosh Jake that is really cool. It hardly looks like the same place. Congratulations

Dave
URY914
First class Jake. I gotta make it up there to see you soon.
Jake Raby
Come see me whenever you'd like...

We are going to have a RAT Reunion sometime at the end of the Summer/ Fall for all our Customers and etc and its gonna be a good time for sure..
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2009, 08:57 AM) *

Come see me whenever you'd like...

We are going to have a RAT Reunion sometime at the end of the Summer/ Fall for all our Customers and etc and its gonna be a good time for sure..

Your new facility looks amazing!!

Please keep us posted on when you think this will happen. I would love to take a long drive through the Appalachians and visit Aircooled Heaven in my 914 driving.gif
iamchappy
Where's the shop dog.....
charliew
Every shop needs a good cat.
Jake Raby
The shop Dog is named Mallory.. She is one crazy bitch thats become a little too wild to bring to the shop daily.. She is a mix of Rottweiler and Australian cattle dog... Her main problem is a crazy urge to roll in Cow crap in the pasture behind the shop!

Guess you fellas that live in the City don't have that problem, huh?? LOL
6freak
Nice place ..whats the wieght limit on the double post lift and what did it cost ..if you dont mind me asking
Mike.C
Jake Raby
Its a 9,000 pound lift.. I got it at a steal, around 2200.00 delivered. We installed it ourselves.
6freak
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2009, 07:39 AM) *

Its a 9,000 pound lift.. I got it at a steal, around 2200.00 delivered. We installed it ourselves.

WOW great deal ...thats just what i want ..what brand name..and who did you buy it from... dont mean to pry but man that was a smoke`n deal.and could get one today for that price ..

Mike.C
Jake Raby
I got this one from a local tool man.. Its made by Rotary, but isn't their name brand.. The brand is "Mountain".
I have been pleased with it.
charliew
My friend has a mid year vette restoration shop and got a lift for about that price but he had to pay extra to get some extensions to do a chevy pickup to work with the higher frame of the truck. That was another 200.00.

My dogs like dead animals for perfume.
6freak
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2009, 07:53 AM) *

I got this one from a local tool man.. Its made by Rotary, but isn't their name brand.. The brand is "Mountain".
I have been pleased with it.

Thanks Jake...did i say NICE SHOP flag.gif
M.R.C
craig downs
Awesome Jake Beautiful shop aktion035.gif
WTF.gif I don't see any piles of parts on the floor or on the benches laugh.gif
Jake Raby
I don't see any piles of parts on the floor or on the benches

Nope and you won't!
StratPlayer
Very impressive, looks like it would be a great place to work..
Chris Pincetich
WOW beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
I know us 914 guys paid for a little of that awesome shop and I hope you can continue to fill our engine needs and keep up the development of turbo and roller cam kits and other TIV goodies. I'm still happy with my reliable 1.7 and saving for a bump to 2.3.
Keep up the good work!
horizontally-opposed
You forgot the bed next to the dyno, within arm's reach of the throttle.

Otherwise.... WOW!

pete
Jake Raby
Pete,
I told you that you need to come spend a few days here!!! The shop is very photogenic, as you can tell!

What paid for this shop was a lot of personal sacrifice.. I sold my favorite vehicle of all time to finance part of it...

Most of the lumber used to build the upstairs portions came from less than 1 mile away and was cut and ripped at a saw mill 3/8 mile from the shop...

It feels good to sit in this office, knowing that we did all of this with our own hands, the same hands used to build the engines we produce.. It feels even better to know the whole son of a bitch is paid for!

Of course we continue to do R&D, the added capabilities make all of this more simple..

Tom
Jake,
That's awsome. Wish I was younger and had the opportunity to work in a place like that. You should be very proud.
Tom
roadster fan
Jake,

You continue to impress! I appreciate all the detail you put into all that you do. And it is all paid for. What a novel idea, most people I run into don't understand that concept anymore.

Keep up the fantastic work wub.gif

Jim
byndbad914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2009, 06:30 AM) *

.. Her main problem is a crazy urge to roll in Cow crap in the pasture behind the shop!

funny, growing up in Iowa I had an Irish Setter that would do the exact same thing! You would walk out, she'd come running and you would go to pet her and there would be big patches of crap all over her back WTF.gif And if you would hose her off she would run right across the road to the pasture and do it again.

What a great dog otherwise tho' wub.gif kinda miss that dog, cow crap and all smile.gif
pete-stevers
neat lookin shop Jake!!! drooley.gif
i wish mine was that tidy!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 13 2009, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2009, 06:30 AM) *

.. Her main problem is a crazy urge to roll in Cow crap in the pasture behind the shop!

funny, growing up in Iowa I had an Irish Setter that would do the exact same thing! You would walk out, she'd come running and you would go to pet her and there would be big patches of crap all over her back WTF.gif And if you would hose her off she would run right across the road to the pasture and do it again.

What a great dog otherwise tho' wub.gif kinda miss that dog, cow crap and all smile.gif

Instinctual. No pun intended. A dog that doesn't smell like the surroundings it lives and works is food for bigger badder dogs or wolves...
Jake Raby
Yep.. My Dog is horrible about the Cow crap..If I let her run free for 15 minutes she comes back nice and ripe every time! One day she came back covered in pee, I think she found a cow taking a leak and got a shower, damn it was nasty!!
crash914
you need a couple more cans of beans....
RJMII
That's too funny about the dog getting a shower! LOL

Nice shop! That looks like a pretty good setup. I just showed my wife and told her "I want a floor like that..."

Jake Raby
Believe it or not, that floor is 30 years old!!! We scrubbed it for days to get it ready for the epoxy!
'73-914kid
That looks like a beautiful shop Jake. Well worth the time you spend on your motors. Good job on everything as well. Semms like nice craftmanship on everything.

But what's with the Porsche 6 confused24.gif
poke.gif

Either way, looks real nice. I'd love to come see it if you weren't on the other side of the country from me.... biggrin.gif
type11969
Jake-

That looks incredible, nice work. It is cool to have been following your progress since 2001 when I got involved with the t4 conversion in my Beetle and see how much your business has grown. You obviously are doing more than something right.

Except for all the beans in the break room. Dear god that is a lot of beans.

-Chris
PanelBilly
Two weeks ago our local PCA toured Griotts garage. He had pool lights mounted into the concrete floor under the lift. That way there was plenty of light pointed up. I'm sure they still needed shop lights too, but that was a feature I'd like to have in my shop.

He had a view of a lake out the back windows too and the story was that the house was built around the garage design. Who would ever of thought selling car wash would bring in that kind of $
Jake Raby
I still need to do a little more to the place before I am happy.. I need some asphalt out front, but I can't find a good enough deal on it to get it done.. Ultimately I'd like to add another shop about this size onto this one in a few years, and have this entire section be nothing but R&D and classrooms since all the dynos are in this section... The best place for a shop with a view is where my old shop stands.. Its right above the Pond and faces the mountain rock faces... But I won't tear that building down..
Joe Owensby
Absolutely beautiful shop Jake. Congratulations. I know you are very proud. thanks for sharing the photos. JoeO
Jake Raby
Thanks for taking the time to check the pics out and make a post!!
MoveQik
Wow....that is a shop. drooley.gif

jd74914
Very nice! biggrin.gif The whole building looks great! I especially like the stainless benches.
turboman808
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 13 2009, 06:00 PM) *

Two weeks ago our local PCA toured Griotts garage.

Seen pictures of his place in his catalog. It looks fantastic. Guy just loves beauty and made a living of it. I just ordered 2 of his wash buckets. They are the best IMO and only $40. The wax sucks though.

Place looks great Jake. You need to pimp out your office though. Come on man your the king of your castle.
Lou W
Congratulations Jake, place sure looks great. beerchug.gif
KaptKaos
Very nice.
blitZ
Very nice, looking forward to see great things coming from there.
TJB/914
Jake,

Congratulations: pray.gif I am proud of you, because you did it with your own hands.

Tom
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Apr 14 2009, 06:44 AM) *

Jake,

Congratulations: pray.gif I am proud of you, because you did it with your own hands.

Tom

It wasn't just my hands... ALL of us here put in our fair share on the project.. Hell, we worked in the rain and 40 MPH winds hanging the side and roof panels..
The finished product ended up being better than I ever had expected, it still has a few inadequacies that we ned to workout as we work to become more efficient in the new areas.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.. 914s get a special rate on the dyno, along with any T4 powered vehicle, and we actually use it as a tool, not just a gauge of performance!
ssstikircr
Jake the shop looks FANTASTIC!!!!
beer.gif

Who wouldn't want a motor built by such a 1st rate shop!?!?! piratenanner.gif
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
mtn flyr
Jake, that looks great! More evidence that the right people are building my new engine!

Dave
Jake Raby
Thanks guys... Its certainly nice when we can work in such an organized environment.. Nothing is ever clean enough and the job is never good enough!
904svo
Jake like everthing else you do, you take PRIDE in what you do.
Keep up the good work.
Jake Raby
Pride is everything!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.