Full Version: Stripped CV bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
As the title asks.....

DAPO used some triple square, and some allen head. headbang.gif
SLITS
Vice grips ................ small ones
jcd914
Which are stripped, allen or triple square?
I have had good success driving the triple square tool into the stripped allen bolts and then using a ratchet to remove them. It is a bit hard on the tool but Snap-on keeps giving me new ones.
Triple square hardware is capable of handling more torque than allen hardware but too many people don't clean out either before trying to tighten or loosen, leading to stripped bolts.
Vise grips are always a good option if there is enough room to get a hold of the bolt head.

Good Luck
Jim
okieflyr
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 14 2009, 05:04 PM) *

As the title asks.....

DAPO used some triple square, and some allen head. headbang.gif

I've had success welding bolts onto the heads and then backing them out.
welder.gif YMMV....
markb
A triple square on each side stripped. I cleaned & pounded the tool in, to no avail.
r_towle
Read what the slits said...

VICE GRIPS

Rich
markb
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2009, 03:40 PM) *

Read what the slits said...

VICE GRIPS

Rich

No matter how tight I get the small vice grips (and they are new, with nice sharp teeth), it slips. mad.gif
r_towle
Use bigger ones.
I have broken vice grips by trying to get them on the hardened bolts...broken the front piece..

Also, use a dremel to flatten out two sides, then use vice grips.
They will come loose.

Use a hammer to loosen the threads a bit.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
Curved jaw channel locks. I use the 10" ones if they'll fit, the battery clamp ones if they won't. Call me to arrange pickup ................ The Cap'n
markb
sww914 is stopping by tomorrow to hit them with the air chisel. smile.gif
yeahmag
If you have a dremel you can carefully cut the heads off with a fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel... Once the CV is off the threaded shank will come right out. Careful not to scar the retaining plate, but if you do they are plentiful.

-Aaron
dbgriffith75
What worked for me was to just remove the axle w/ the stub attached. Pull the bolts once it's out, and replace the stub axle in the car to keep wheel bearings in place.
charliew
Take a small flat chisel and put it flush dead center on the side horizontal or parallel to the axle and make a good groove then angle it ccw and knock it loose.
PeeGreen 914
I have to agree with SLITS and Cap'n on this one. Big channel locks or big vice grips always have worked for me many times. One of my parts cars had every single bolt stripped. The air chisel can just peal the bolt or slip past. I just don't like using them.
benalishhero
Blue point makes a great easy-out (fitting over the OD)that will get them out np. I also use a hammer/chisel on them. If push comes to shove, use a slam hammer with the chisel attachment. Fun tool.
76-914
Use a 4" Ridgid Pipe Wrench. The teeth are ground at an angle to bite into round head and the jaws form an angle of sorts so the grip tightens with torque. I've done this on my Ghia and 914 (PO leftovers).
Joe Bob
Channel locks or big Vise Grips....BTDT....

Get them off yet?
markb
I haven't had much time to fuch with it. Hopefully today.

And the Snap-On truck just pulled up...... smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
THIS is what you need!

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/ca...p;Category_ID=6

They work. There's not a lot of room in there to get both a grip and any kind of swing, but if you're patient, they do the job. I think I use the middle one, but I also have the one on the right. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
I had one that I pounded a semi-ruined start point wrench into and then welded in place. Came out easy.

I have also used vice grips, but if you have a wrecked star point bit, welding it in may be faster.

Zach
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 16 2009, 11:01 AM) *

THIS is what you need!

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/ca...p;Category_ID=6

They work. There's not a lot of room in there to get both a grip and any kind of swing, but if you're patient, they do the job. I think I use the middle one, but I also have the one on the right. The Cap'n

Looks like the same one I use beerchug.gif They grip very well.
markb
This is Jonathan, I got them off for him on the first try!!!!!!!! chair.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

YEAH RIGHT!!!

Note to self, don't let Jonathan around my computer when I'm logged on.
markb
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 14 2009, 04:05 PM) *

Curved jaw channel locks. I use the 10" ones if they'll fit, the battery clamp ones if they won't. Call me to arrange pickup ................ The Cap'n

The battery clamp ones worked on one side (I had a pair), the air hammer worked on the other (after Jonathan had loosened them up for me, of course). beer.gif
dkjens
I always used vise grips. I some times had to use a channel lock to lock down the vise grip he he. Good to see you got them out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.