Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch chatter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mpoffers
My clutch can chatter pretty hard, particularly getting into first. I can get it to launch smoothly, I just have to be careful. It's a little easier to launch in second than in first.

My assumption is that a new clutch is in my future. I understand that this question is moot as I'll just replace everything, but what causes chatter? Is it warped friction surfaces? Bad surface finish? A slipping clutch makes sense to me, but I'm not sure I get what's going on in a chattering clutch.

Thanks.
southernmost914
Most likely warped flywheel surface but ,can be all of the above. bye1.gif

Steve
SirAndy
Oil on the clutch will make it chatter too ...
shades.gif Andy
sww914
Broken / loose motor mounts can cause it too. Not common but possible...
'73-914kid
My dad had the same problem in his Vette. Chatter everytime he released the clutch. Turned out when we pulled everything apart to rebuild the tranny that the pressure plate was about 1/4 inch out of whack. Ordered a new plate, bolted it up, and no more chatter.
bryanf
improper clutch adjustment can cause chatter in my experience. Also a worn pivot for the T/O bearing can do it...
type2man
The most common causes are broken motor mounts, a worn bowden tube, oil on the disc and a warped flywheel....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.