914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
pete-stevers
yeah yeah....yeah.....we all know six owners have bigger penises screwy.gif
but a couple of questions
1...jp is yours still working
2.....jp?? lol-2.gif
ChrisFoley
Red numbers. The bargraph is multicolored.
I have no trouble reading them quickly in my race car.
ghuff
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 16 2009, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Jul 16 2009, 04:21 PM) *

I laugh again that there is someone who thinks because an air cooled once detonated, and they backed off that there is no way detonation can cause damage. That is mind blowingly stupid.

Any of you are welcome to come play where I do & show me how much smarter you are than I. I'm reading a lot of words like "hate", "stupid", & "asshole"....the ass kissing smile was nice also. Too bad you clowns can't carry on a discussion without resorting to personal attacks.

The fact is that my engine did pre-ignite. Nothing broke and when I tore it down 7 years later, the piston tops, ring lands, rods & bearings showed no damage from that brief incident. Why piston tops you might ask?... because that is where detonation shows up most obviously. Rods can be bent from a few other causes and your pics show pistons in decent shape......they are whole for one and the tops aren't shown.

Here's a pic of the piston tops as removed from my engine....another after clean up. Nothing as trick as your T-4 pistons, but it was all I had. I noted that Robbie didn't show the tops of the pistons that survived his contretemps. His deduction that everything else is fine is simplistic....cause it ain't. There is crap all thru the oiling system.....but hay, what does a dummy like me know. Ya better ask Jake.

You laugh because ignorance is bliss it would seem.

Play where you do? Is that some invitation to a place where people have no ability to think critically or assume they know everything?

One engine you built had issues and did not blow apart? Wow, that is a great selection of experience to draw from! We should all bow to your wisdom and experience here, you are a pillar of the internal combustion friendly community here.

You are really arguing something you do not understand....

You know why pistons are in decent shape? BECAUSE THE RODS ARE THE WEAK POINT. When you have a nice forged piston that can hold up to the detonation, but the rod is at it's stress point that force has to go somewhere he who is above all and God. The piston takes it, the crank takes it and may flex, the rod? It shatters or bends/cracks.

Most obviously, you do not understand just where the results of detonation can show up, which is almost anywhere.

In case you were too busy jacking yourself off mentally and stroking your ego, you missed the fact that those factory pistons in my picture have held up fine to 600+whp with a turbo probaly the size of your motor. We are talking cylinder pressures beyond what your detonating motor would see. With that comes occasional detonation, and at those power levels with that kind of fuel and cylinder pressure, things come apart fast.

You are a clown yourself. So here is your discussion without attacks. You want to go for it? Because I can find you many examples of detonation and what it does to internals on various motors.

The last 4G63 I blew up knocked a rod in half out the block, piston looked great, the rod took the starter out too. It was detonation. The top of the piston looked fine. Lots of timing + detonation = broken.

You can sit there and post using words which are not terribly common to appear more intelligent than you are, while there are millions of examples of what detonation does out there.

You understand metal fatigues as well right? You understand that detonation pushes metal beyond it's normal loads encountered and that metal has a memory? Use that large brain of yours. Wow me with your astounding intelligence and logic.

I laugh because you are a clown. confused24.gif Is that hard to understand?

(I have built many a motors, in cast iron blocks (various makes/types)facing ridiculous cylinder pressures, and have blown up a bunch for fun by cranking timing and doing other things. Others have blown due to simple detonation/preig+fatigue)

This experience comes when you hold such plebeian jobs as working at a junkyard with access to almost any car you can imagine and the ability to blow them up. *gasp*

I guess my real world experience with many different engines can not compare to your hypothetical intelligence and lack of the same experience! Oops!

So, since you are incredibly smarter than us, please tell us you did indeed reuse your motors internals after nasty detonation, knowing about metal fatigue. Please say that while trying to act like you are above most others in this thread.

(PS God of all things internal combustion, if you heard detonation and lifted it obviously was not bad gas which will blow a motor apart in short order since it's unfit to run period let alone just have a low octane and detonate lightly)

Your response can start with "I am sorry for making myself look stupid, I honestly do not understand what I am talking about, and next time I will shut up instead of mouth off about things I can not grasp."
ghuff
To the OP:

I have a nice set of DEFI gauges and a control unit. I have an EGT guage, it has datalogging ability, and other things. I may be interested in selling the stuff....

It's not "porsche approved" but Defi is very accurate. The pyrometer can be a Defi brand or a generic used in it's place wired into the control unit. The gauges are all electronic, and the datalogging ability is great. You can datalog everything you connect from map + egt + boost etc.

This way you can play it back via the gauges and actually see what is/was going on for yourself realtime.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I can't reccomend this enough, since you can datalog a bunch of different things, pretty much anything the DEFI unit can do you can datalog at the same time. It also is nice having a map in the engine bay and wiring back to the cabin, less leaks etc.
ConeDodger
To be fair ghuff, JP does have valuable and professional real world experience and does know what he is talking about. My objection is to the swirling of poo as it degenerates into a 4 vs. 6 thread. JP likes to take shots at Jake and 4 cylinders.

This engine failure was clearly not Jake's fault. Jake does great work with scientific method and results that change everything without adding all that 6 cylinder weight.

In a lot of cases, JP has done great things for people on this board in his area. In this case, he let the opportunity to bag on Jake get the better of him...
stepuptotheMike
why don't we all take a

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif

Mike
rhodyguy
can we get a few more quotes in the replies? quotes of quotes. plenty of them too. enough so i have to....
J P Stein
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 17 2009, 07:56 PM) *

yeah yeah....yeah.....we all know six owners have bigger penises screwy.gif
but a couple of questions
1...jp is yours still working
2.....jp?? lol-2.gif

Of course it's still working. Brit took the XP class at the Paclwood SCCA National Tour event last week.
We'll be at the Shoot Out in 2 weeks.

Last time the power fell off (after 7 years of thrashing on it), it was my fault....for not checking each & every ring gap & using the wrong rings. I *learned* from that.
r_towle
yup
KELTY360
Man, I can really do without the IN YOUR FACE attitude that has been degenerating some threads lately. It only takes one IN YOUR FACE kind of post to throw off a rational discussion.

Funny, it seems like the same person with the IN YOUR FACE, CHIP ON THE SHOULDER ATTITUDE. So, if you can figure out who that person could be......STFU.....we don't need the drama. chair.gif

Thanks, I feel better now. Peace out.
r_towle
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 18 2009, 01:27 PM) *

can we get a few more quotes in the replies? quotes of quotes. plenty of them too. enough so i have to....

Happy

To

Lend

A

Hand
DNHunt
Who the hell is this ghuff guy to come on here and sling shit? You want some credibility then lets hear what you've done. Both Jake and JP have been around for a long time and I'm indebted to both of them for their help. Both have lots of experience and I listen to both of them. They don't agree but that's their deal. A new guy comes and starts mixing it up with them he better bring a bunch of ammo (in Jake's case that is no BS). I for one would stand up for either one of them. I hope I never have to choose sides between them.

So let's hear what you got ghuff. You got credentials, let's hear about them otherwise, you are just egging the guys on in a fight that isn't yours and you should keep out of it.

The 4 vs 6 fight will never be settled. I'd like to have one of both.

Rob wish I could be down at your place to help you get your car going again.

Dave
jimkelly
i know where the fuel goes dry.gif

i know where the oil goes smile.gif

and

i know where my right and left feet go biggrin.gif

top that blink.gif

peace out you all popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 18 2009, 04:39 PM) *

The 4 vs 6 fight will never be settled. I'd like to have one of both.

Yup, two are better than one; it's true what they say.... w00t.gif

It will be great to have both race cars running, which will be very very soon as my Big Four is now in the garage with the head work complete and ready to go back into the car, with it's new (complete end to end) cage.

We have a quick trip to Santa Rosa to confirm the fuel map above 6K, but after that we should be good to go.

Katmanken
Trolling, trolling, over the bounding main.....

And an awful lot of the diatribe above with quotes is pure BS...

Not you JP...
Jake Raby
Well... I am done with this one.

I have two hard weeks ahead of me and no time for elevated drama...

I have to admit.. The post regarding JP's alledged impotence was just too much! I laughed so much I almost hyperventilated!
Bleyseng
WTF.gif

and this crap is why I don't bother too much reading posts...... chair.gif

JP is a stand up guy and knows what he knows....no sense on blasting him.
PeeGreen 914
huh.gif Wow....
ConeDodger
Settle down guys... JP and I have no problem with each other. Move along... There is nothing to see here. dry.gif
PeeGreen 914
I have a problem with you poke.gif

You don't live closer to us PNW guys beerchug.gif
ericread
So for a final result here; Which is better? A 4 or a 6?

I'd really like a final answer... stirthepot.gif devil.gif

Eric lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 18 2009, 06:38 PM) *

You don't live closer to us PNW guys beerchug.gif

Yopu wants to move. I will ask her if she wants to move to the soggy side of nowhere! I am a bit tired of the taxes and Hot! Hot! Hot! Central Valley Weather.

Edited so Kevin doesn't have to scroll so far down the page. biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *

av-943.gif

Spoken like a true asshat. slap.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 18 2009, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *

av-943.gif

Spoken like a true asshat. slap.gif

This was Jon's work when he worked for Washington DMV... biggrin.gif Also how he learned to paint stripes on his car!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ericread @ Jul 18 2009, 06:42 PM) *

So for a final result here; Which is better? A 4 or a 6?

I'd really like a final answer... stirthepot.gif devil.gif

Eric lol-2.gif

I have to go with Randall on that one... One of each is better. w00t.gif
DNHunt
A friend at dinner last time suggested I needed another 914. I immediately thought a six. But, Betsy said "One more car, one less wife". I can't say I wasn't tempted. Truth is I think one wife is less trouble than 2 914's. Anyone care to argue that one.

Dave
Smitty911
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 19 2009, 06:56 AM) *

A friend at dinner last time suggested I needed another 914. I immediately thought a six. But, Betsy said "One more car, one less wife". I can't say I wasn't tempted. Truth is I think one wife is less trouble than 2 914's. Anyone care to argue that one.

Dave

I would but my wife is watching right now. LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.