Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 AC, somethings do work!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
I have a 75 2.0 I picked up last year. It was a great find. Beautiful white interior, AC and surprising not the usual rust. I took out the original drain plugs when I first go it. Under the rockers, is still clean bright original paint. The car was a garage queen with 47,000 miles and hadn't been ran since late 80's from the oil changes and registrations i found with the car. It's a twenty footer for paint, but just because dings and scraps, but once I used some rubbing compound on the white paint it came out real nice. The engine leaks oil from the usual spots, I'm going to do a complete resto in the future and have new Mahle pistons/cylinders waiting for that. That's the back ground. So with some time on my hands i replaced the AC dryer and seals I could find. I then put the 134 adaptors and charged it 134 oil to 2 1/2 pounds, went back and got it the car and low and behold nice cold AC. It was so exciting that it still worked. The compressor made some banging noise for a little while but that got quite after a few minutes. It may have to be rebuilt in the future, but for now it works. I'll try to post some pictures tonight, but I think I had a hard time with this sight last time because they needed to be smaller. driving.gif
6freak
And dont forget the vin# for Andy ....cause if you dont sheeplove.gif
SUNAB914
Both my vin#s have been added. And I can't download pics, size is too big. Need help.
SirAndy
The FAQ might help:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637

Save your pics as JPG with a medium compression (5) in 640x480 and they should be plenty small in filesize to post here.
bye1.gif Andy
charliew
I have been told that the old R12 system oil needs to be completely removed or it will not be compatable with the 134a oil and freon. If the compressor croaks you can search and there are ac shops that specialize in vw changeovers. You can get a bracket that fits on the original bracket and it will hold a sanden type compressor also some of the kit suppliers claim that the condensor may not be big enough but I think they are just trying to sell parts. The old york compressor uses at least 7-8 hp and the newer ones use about 1.5 hp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.