Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reading engine by piston build up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I am curious if someone could say why i have a respectable amount of carbon build up on pistons 1 and 4 but not on 2 and 3? Is this a sighn of anything or style of runing condition.. ?? It is the first time i have seen my pistons since purchase last year any info is good info.
Katmanken
Oil leaking past the rings?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 21 2009, 07:23 PM) *

Oil leaking past the rings?

o.k. waht if it is that? new rings??
r_towle
FI or carbs?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 21 2009, 07:52 PM) *

FI or carbs?

74 2.0 fi.. It is just the 2 foward pistons #2 and #4 . The build up is hard dry crusty not sticky tar oily.. so if this is because it was running rich then why not all 4 cylinders??
Katmanken
Hard dry crusty carbon sounds like cooked oil.

Several causes.

1. bad valve guides leaking oil into the cylinder

2. oil rings didn't seat

3. score mark in the cylinder wall? (oil path)

4. Rings not staggered on the piston (all in a line on the bottom of the cylinder provides an oil path)

Any smoke on startup or driving?
r_towle
It may also be that the injectors are not balanced properly..
Send them out to be rebuilt and balanced.

Check your cold start injector and send that out also..they do drip and leak..

Rich
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2009, 05:33 PM) *

It may also be that the injectors are not balanced properly..
Send them out to be rebuilt and balanced.

Check your cold start injector and send that out also..they do drip and leak..

Rich

Thanks tOWLE.. ACTUALLY INSTALLED A NEW COLD START LAST WEEK AND JUST GOT MY INJECTORS BACK FROM SERVICE TODAY.. aLSO HAVE A NEW FI HARNESS TO BOOT .. I WAS LEANING THAT WAY..

r_towle
did you hopefully re-ring the motor???
You might as well get new FI trigger points and clean and rebuild your distributor.
Rich
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2009, 05:51 PM) *

did you hopefully re-ring the motor???
You might as well get new FI trigger points and clean and rebuild your distributor.
Rich
i have electronic igniton but it used to have points.. i have not learned yet how to rebuild a distributor.. my heads are getting cc'd should have them tommorow then number crunching.. new rings make sense.. how would i know what rings to get? It is a stock 74 2.0 wish dished pistons and a "supposedly rebuilt motor done by the po mechanic" so if anything was honed how would i know??
r_towle
take a very focused, high resolution picture of the cylinders with the piston out, or all the way down. post it here.

Get rings from Jake..I think he sells hasting rings...they seal quickly.

Rich
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment
i can see cross hatching thats all i know.. nothing leaking and i did clean off all the carbon earlier today..
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachmentanother one..
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment
r_towle
When was this motor rebuilt? how many miles?

Your rings did not seat...but you still need to put in new rings.
I cant really see those pics that well...they need better focus and each cylinder needs to be shown with the piston at the bottom of the stroke.

Rich
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2009, 06:37 PM) *

When was this motor rebuilt? how many miles?

Your rings did not seat...but you still need to put in new rings.
I cant really see those pics that well...they need better focus and each cylinder needs to be shown with the piston at the bottom of the stroke.

Rich

cell phone camera is all i got.. so where do you recommedn i get rings??

supposedly rebuilt 6 0r 8 thousand miles ago, i have had the car a year and when it was rebuilt sometimes maybe year and 1/2 or 2years ago.. this car was not someones daily driver.

how could you tell.. so iu know how to tell..
detoxcowboy
Perfectly done towle.. why not.. nice lead they have orignal germans and 33% off too..
Todd Enlund
Those are 2.0 bus pistons... are the rings the same? I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that bus rings are different than 914 rings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.