Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Oil Cooler Location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
Those of you running front oil coolers, did you mount them inside or outside of the front trunk? What type of thermostat are you using? Any photos of your setup? Thanks.
jt914-6
I'm using an Earl's oil cooler. #26012, 60 row, 7 x 19" mounted inside. Trouman thermostat because it used the same internals as the Porsche engine so parts are avaliable for repair.

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
A better pic of the thermostat.....

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
McMark and i made a box to fit the cooler inside the trunk. The lines run along the passanger long on the inside and the thermostat was sandwiched in a box in the rear firewall, close to the motor.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4700&st=180

Right now, the air exits through the two large holes in the trunk floor, but the plan is to build a shroud and have it exit out the top through the hood.
driving.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
number6
Is anyone running a setup like pictured below (from old article of a supercharged 4-cyl that's been posted here before)? It would be nice to not have to cut up the front.

Cooler would have to be on the smaller side, I'm guessing...
It's a bit more exposed to debris...
And I'm wondering if there would be sufficient airflow angled and tucked like that?
jmill
That location isn't the greatest. You scrub up on a curb and oil goes everywhere. BTDT. If you don't figure it out fast enough you can kiss your engine goodbye.
Heeltoe914
heres the one in my 6 but even a four I think up front is the best. In my car air exits out the wheel wells. Works great.
VaccaRabite
I have neen a picture of a vinatge racer with the oil cooler bolted to the outside of the car, under the front bumper. I think that Andy had it.

Functional, but it looks way better in the front trunk.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 22 2009, 01:40 PM) *

I have neen a picture of a vinatge racer with the oil cooler bolted to the outside of the car, under the front bumper. I think that Andy had it.

Ayupp, Hans Christian Jürgensen in his GT, now owned by Nicke Nilsson, a fellow World Member from Sweden ...
driving.gif Andy

burton73
This is the one done in #41 by Troutman and Barnes shop and it runs a Troutman early 70s thermostat with the Troutman name in the casting.

The welding work and bending of the metal is a piece of art in the curves for the cooler area. The top is metal closing off the venting to the back of the bottom of the floor. I may screen it on the bottom or leave it like a 916. It has room for a space saver and I have built a bracket to hold it to the wall in front of the gas tank.

Bob

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
pete-stevers
slick looking set up andy!
carr914
This one looks to be on the outside

T.C.

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
The picture that TC posted is what I am going to copy on my GT clone. I must be in the minority but I want to use the front trunk as a trunk biggrin.gif . To each his own there is no right or wrong.
MikeSpraggi
I'll post of pic of what I'm doing tonight and tomorrow night. I have a Mazda RX7 oil cooler that I'm mounting to the front of the trunk and behind the air dam. The forced air will vent out through the wheel wells ... at least that's the plan.

I would mount the cooler inside, however the front trunk mounted fuel cell does not allow proper clearance. I can't move the fuel cell back because the front mounted oil tank is going where the stock gas tank is.
Van914
Mike,
BAT sells one that you can mount to the engine lid. Works for a 4cyl I do not think it would work for a six.
Van914

http://64.202.180.37/files/kits.pdf

The Mocal oil cooling kit for the Porsche 914-4
consists of a 25 row -10AN oil cooler & 7/12"
cooling fan with with a SP1T thermostatic sandwich
plate and -10AN AQP stainless hose and
fittings. The cooler is mounted to the underside
of the engine grille, the plastic rain pan can be
removed or a hole the size of the cooler can be
made in the center. The SP1T thermo. sandwich
plate mounts between the oil filter and the filter
mount allowing oil flow to the cooler after 180
degrees. We supply enough AQP stainless oil
hose and aircraft fittings to link the sandwich
plate to the oil cooler.
Complete Kit Price $479.00
Kit Without Thermo Plate $439.00
Kit Without Fan-Pac $405.00
Basic Kit (no fan, no thermo plate) $335.0
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Apr 22 2009, 06:20 PM) *

I'll post of pic of what I'm doing tonight and tomorrow night. I have a Mazda RX7 oil cooler that I'm mounting to the front of the trunk and behind the air dam. The forced air will vent out through the wheel wells ... at least that's the plan.

I would mount the cooler inside, however the front trunk mounted fuel cell does not allow proper clearance. I can't move the fuel cell back because the front mounted oil tank is going where the stock gas tank is.

That should work well. We run the same setup on the 911 racecar. Just add some sort of bracing around the cooler so you don't rip it off the first time you "tap" something.

bye1.gif Andy
brant
front trunks are way over rated.

here are 2 of my teeners:
PRS914-6
I mounted the largest cooler I could fit in the front. Money well spent. The aluminum ducting was fabricated by hand with a rubber mallet over wood and was pretty simple if you take your time.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Grngoat
I find the front trunk to be incredibly useful and didn't want to cut it up. So I ended up with dual coolers mounted on either side of the transmission. Drivers side is a Setrab fan-pack cooler that comes with dual fans and is fully shrouded. Passenger side is a Setrab, but I added the fan so it's not shrouded. Would go with the fan-pack on both sides next time.

Click to view attachment

It cools my 3.6 perfectly fine in the Texas summer. Autocrossing is no problem either. I haven't take it to a DE yet, that might stress it. I like the sleeper look too. I still have the stock front valance, so most think it's a four.
carr914
Avery, what Tranny mounts are those?

T.C.
pcar916
Here's mine which vents out of the hood.

http://www.ozarkpca.org/photo_pic.html?eve...6%A0Front%A0End

and a couple of construction photos.

number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 24 2009, 05:31 AM) *

Avery, what Tranny mounts are those?

T.C.

T.C., they look to be WEVO semi-solid mounts:

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProduc...sisProducts.htm

-duc
Grngoat
Yes, WEVO mounts. Same thing on the front.
Cire
Great thread and great pictures. = )

I have a 2.0 914 that I would like to add an oil cooler too. Where do you connect it to your engine at? Are there spots already for the in and out cooler lines?

Any pictures and thoughts would be great. = )

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.