Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door panel restoration:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
This job was a bit of a PITA and took much longer than I thought it would. However, the price of doing it myself is roughly $25 per panel, so it wasn't a hard choice to make over buying premade ones.

I did have cut new panels out by hand because mine were thrashed with speaker cut outs from othe previous owner. I ended up using early door panels for the template (I have a late model car), and bought the 2 metal strips that you use to hang the panel to the door from another 914world member.

I decided not to use the basket weave material because I think the plain vinyl looks so much cleaner. Turned out pretty good. I just have to mount the door pocket, and then start working on the passenger side one next.

A big thanks to Aaron for his thread on how to build GT door panels. I borrowed much from his ideas. My only deviations were to use balsa wood for the 'tuck and roll' backing strip, and also I did not glue the vinyl to the panel board.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
Looks good from here!

What material did you make the panels from?
rjames
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 23 2009, 05:08 PM) *

Looks good from here!

What material did you make the panels from?

Thanks!
I bought a big sheet of fiber board from the local lumber store. It's just a hair thicker, but it's a lot sturdier than the original material that the factory used.
charliew
Your panels look nice. Be sure and put plastic on the door to protect the hardboard from moisture. Are the staples ss? They will rust pretty quick if they get wet. Also it would be good to glue the vinyl and staple it. If you paint the hardboard it will resist swelling from moisture a lot better. Automotive hardboard that I use is treated to resist moisture. A good material choice for convertibles is to use boat materials.
rjames
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 23 2009, 09:04 PM) *

Your panels look nice. Be sure and put plastic on the door to protect the hardboard from moisture. Are the staples ss? They will rust pretty quick if they get wet. Also it would be good to glue the vinyl and staple it. If you paint the hardboard it will resist swelling from moisture a lot better. Automotive hardboard that I use is treated to resist moisture. A good material choice for convertibles is to use boat materials.

! I will definitely be putting a moisture barrier between the panels and the door. My 914 rarely, if ever, sees rain so these should outlast the original panels but I do like your idea of painting the fiberboard.

I didn't glue the vinlyl because the vinyl is stretched tight enough to stay in place, plus gluing increases the chances of indentations & imprints in the vinyl.
charliew
I meant gluing on the backside.
rjames
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 24 2009, 09:52 AM) *

I meant gluing on the backside.

Ahh, that makes more sense. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.