Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Euro Race headers dont fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I am in the process of putting on my Euro Racing headers and they are not lining up now...any idea what I'm doing wrong?

The stub pipes are on fine and the passenger side headers went on fine too, but when I got to the drivers side, they are off by quite a bit.

Here is the passenger's side:
Click to view attachment

and here is how the driver's sides line up:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Did I do something wrong??
jasons
You want to fit it loose after you bolt the stubs on. Basically bolt the stubs to the heads tight. Do the rest of the system loose, then tighten everything down.

Other than that, there is not much that can go wrong. The only other thing I can think might be a problem is... The stubs might be matched to a specific port. I vaguely remember my stubs are stamped with dots 1 thru 4. But mine was used so those stamps could have come from the PO.
JRust
Well figure it out damn it! WCR is only weeks away & I want to go for a ride in that beast mad.gif .

Seriously though I hope it's a simple fix & not somehow the wrong setup. I hope you can get it all figured. Best of luck dude smile.gif
charliew
You are probably going to need to take it off and try to bend it to fit. You don't want the header putting any strain on the stubs. It probably warped when it was welded up. Don't try to just spread it under tension to get the bolts in. And don't try to bend it on the car.
biosurfer1
Well mine had stickers on them stating "RR, RF, FR and FL" which I'm assuming is Rear Right, Rear Left, Front Right and Front Left... I didn't see any marking other than that but I'll take a closer look.
I guess I'm confused because I would have thought that the stub pipes would be more or less symmetrical. I know they were port specific but still thought it would be closer than they are.

Does anyone know how "Right" "Left" "Front" and "Rear" are defined??
biosurfer1
Trust me Jamie, non one wants this thing running more than me!

ConeDodger
Brett,
There are two stub pipes that will be tight up against push rod tubes unless you use the ones that have a dimple in them for the push rod tube. The person who said install the stubs tight and then the passenger side and the rest of the system loose until you get it all lined up was right.
jasons
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 23 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Does anyone know how "Right" "Left" "Front" and "Rear" are defined??

I would *think* it would be the most obvious orientation which is probably the way you installed them. Call George at Euro-Race tomorrow to be certain. Actually before you do anything drastic, I would call George.
biosurfer1
I checked and unfortunately both sides of the stub pipes have dimples, and all of them clear the push rod tubes the way they are.

I'll talk to George tomorrow, but I'll be pissed if those stickers were the only markings to tell which one goes where. I took the stickers off but I think I know how I orientated them.
Chris Pincetich
On mine, the pipes did not line up good at the collector. See what happens if you loosely bolt on all exhaust tubes then try to massage the 4 together into the collector (assuming your is like mine - 4 stubs, 4 bent tubes, and separate collector). Even though the tubes hit the collector spot at different lengths, the collector slipped over it all. I used red exhaust RTV at the stubs, milk of magnesium on hardware, and fiberglass heat wrap on the collector as finishing touches...and protect those cables!
Good luck beerchug.gif
I wish I could go to WCR! Totally booked for work that week/weekend mad.gif
charliew
If one side fitted good without closing or spreading the pipes then it must be okay. That is about 1 inch off. Can you swap the stubs to get them farther apart or rotate them 180 maybe.
biosurfer1
I can try, but from looking at them, I can't see that much of a difference.

I'll update after talking with George today and trying again tonight
biosurfer1
Thanks guys...I got them on. I just had the passengers side too tight, loosened them up and everything went together well...looks like Sunday I'll fire it up for the first time in 10 months!:)
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 24 2009, 10:30 PM) *

Thanks guys...I got them on. I just had the passengers side too tight, loosened them up and everything went together well...looks like Sunday I'll fire it up for the first time in 10 months!:)

piratenanner.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.