Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pressing on Rear Droplinks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trav012000
Okay so it took me awhile but I finally got my rear droplink bushings pressed into the droplinks. Now I'm trying to get the droplinks attached to the car. Does anyone have a magical way of making this happen? '76 model year if it matters. smile.gif

Thanks guys.
Cupomeat
Hmmm, I think I had the exact same questions but I can't find the thread.

The answer appears to be the largest channel locks you can find, or a wooden drift and a big hammer.

Hope that helps.
Trav012000
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 24 2009, 04:52 PM) *

Hmmm, I think I had the exact same questions but I can't find the thread.

The answer appears to be the largest channel locks you can find, or a wooden drift and a big hammer.

Hope that helps.

Apparently I didnt try my channel locks quite hard enough. biggrin.gif
Tom
When I did mine, I used a large C-clamp. Worked well, just had to keep it aligned or it wanted to slip off. Lubed them up also.
Tom
r_towle
BFH...I use a rubber one.
A very well placed very powerful hit will do it.

Rich
SLITS
Big channel locks
Dave_Darling
A "squeeze to tighten" bar clamp. Use a jack to move one trailing arm or the other upward to get the ball on the arm lined up with the socket in the drop-link.

I've also used a C-clamp, but it was hard to keep lined up correctly while tightening the clamp.

--DD
ConeDodger
I have heard that drilling a small hole threw the back of the bushing lets the air out and makes it easier so you are not compressing air too...
dgw
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 24 2009, 07:53 PM) *

A "squeeze to tighten" bar clamp. Use a jack to move one trailing arm or the other upward to get the ball on the arm lined up with the socket in the drop-link.

I've also used a C-clamp, but it was hard to keep lined up correctly while tightening the clamp.

--DD

the bar clamp worked well for me also. I could not make it work with a C clamp, hammer, etc.
Joe Ricard
Channel locks on the sway bar side
Hammer on the control arm side
rascobo
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 24 2009, 10:43 PM) *

I have heard that drilling a small hole threw the back of the bushing lets the air out and makes it easier so you are not compressing air too...

agree.gif

It's how I've been doing mine for years. It makes them much easier to get on, and haven't found any drawbacks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Apr 24 2009, 03:38 PM) *

When I did mine, I used a large C-clamp. Worked well, just had to keep it aligned or it wanted to slip off.

agree.gif
charliew
Seems like adding a hole would help but it also would make it easier for crud to migrate through the bushing.
Trav012000
Channel Locks worked guys thanks. Clamps would have been better. And I thought about drilling a hole. Would have helped too, I apparently squeezed so hard 3 of my fingers ended up bleeding from the cuticle. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.