Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittant idle and losing power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trav012000
Awhile back I sealed my gas tank to prevent the rust flakes from getting into my fuel lines and causing this exact problem I'm about to explain.

A couple days ago I was driving her home when she felt like she was hesitating. It would still drive, it'd just hesitate if I pressed down too hard. So I came back the next morning and tried starting it up, the idle was jumping dropping every once in awhile. Now I'm to the point that if I hit the gas while parked it will rev up, then die like it's starved of fuel. The fuel pump working fine, I pulled off the fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter and the pressure looked okay.

Anyone have any suggestions. I did pick up some pistons and cylinders over the weekend that I'm hoping to put in in the next few weeks since one of mine doesnt make any compression and another only makes about half. headbang.gif

Running dual webers on a 2.0L '76
underthetire
QUOTE(Trav012000 @ Apr 27 2009, 12:37 PM) *

Awhile back I sealed my gas tank to prevent the rust flakes from getting into my fuel lines and causing this exact problem I'm about to explain.

A couple days ago I was driving her home when she felt like she was hesitating. It would still drive, it'd just hesitate if I pressed down too hard. So I came back the next morning and tried starting it up, the idle was jumping dropping every once in awhile. Now I'm to the point that if I hit the gas while parked it will rev up, then die like it's starved of fuel. The fuel pump working fine, I pulled off the fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter and the pressure looked okay.

Anyone have any suggestions. I did pick up some pistons and cylinders over the weekend that I'm hoping to put in in the next few weeks since one of mine doesnt make any compression and another only makes about half. headbang.gif

Running dual webers on a 2.0L '76

you sure its the cylinders? Might be a head. I think you need to fix those problems before worrying about fuel and idle. BTW, sounds like points to me.
Trav012000
I'm not sure it is, no. It was recommended to me by the shop I take it to here in town. I should have mentioned it's my daily driver so getting it up and running as soon as possible will help in getting back and forth to work. smile.gif

QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 27 2009, 03:41 PM) *

BTW, sounds like points to me.

Not quite sure what that means. smile.gif I'm a computer guy trying to learn how to work on his 914. driving.gif
underthetire
Points or "ignition breaker" are located in the distributor. They control spark to the spark plugs. ( yes i am over simplifying this ) If they get worn, or out of adjustment, and they always do, you need to adjust them/replace them. You will never get a good idle with a dead hole or two, no vacuum, no fuel. Now for the S-storm, Points suck, electronic is the way to go. poke.gif
type2man
Check your idle jets, they probably are clogged. They are located on the outsides of the carbs close to where the fuel lines run into the carbs. Remove them and look at them closely to see if you have crap in there. If so, blow it out and drive it again.

Patrick
Trav012000
Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like type2man is the winner. Dirty idle jet on the same side of the engine as my two pistons that actually make compression. biggrin.gif

After I scoured the internet looking for a diagram on where the hell the idle jet was, it was a piece of cake after that. smilie_pokal.gif type.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.