Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a short steering coupler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wes V
I thought you guys out there with steering rack spacers would find this interesting.

If you space the rack higher, you should think about having a steering coupler (that rubber bisket) that is shorter.

That was the situation I was in and went looking for options. One is that on the "other" 914 site there is a guy that makes billet units that are the correct height. However I feel there are a couple reasons to retain something rubber.

After doing the math, I wanted a coupler that is 1 1/16" thick. (the stock one is about 1.33" high)

Now I've got to admit that what I came up with isn't totally an original idea. The site "nlaparts.com" sells a coupler for the 356C that's pretty much the same, but made to match the height of the original 356C coupler.

What I came up with is to use two early VW steering couplers. This gives a combined height of 1". They are only about $11.00 each.

The original 914 bolts are a little long, but could have been used. I purchased new 8mmx1.25x35 grade 8.8 (the original bolts are grade 8.8).

I've also ordered from Pelican new lock tabs (not shown in the photos).

So, here are the photos;

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The only thing that would make it better is if somebody with a lath made up the steel collars to the correct length (1"). (Racer Chris has a lath! hint, hint)

Wes Vann
jaxdream
Make sence , I have the turbo tie rods and the spacers just in case and I wondered about a possible solution to the extra rack height. A 1/16 of an inch could be easily offset by the inside steering rods. The spacers cut on a lathe wouild be a luxury , they could be made from aluminium tubing at the right inside / outside dimenions using a plumbing tubing cutter , filed for clearance making this a possible option .
I sure others have addressed this issue with rack spacers , maybe we will hear from them.

Jaxdream
jd74914
Very cool Wes.

That seems like a much better solution. Substituting a solid metal couple seems like a terrible idea. They factory must have wanted some damping.
r_towle
Ever measure a hockey puck???

BTDT, it works like a charm...just drill out for the bolts, recycle the steel tubing (after you grind it down) and you get a 3 dollar spacer that fits tight.

Rich
Wes V
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 30 2009, 04:50 AM) *

Ever measure a hockey puck???
Rich

This may sound like I'm being a smart ass (but in this case, I'm not);

No. I've never actually seen a hockey puck. I've heard of people using them for motor mounts and such. And yet, I've never really seen one.

Do they come in different hardness's?

Just another thing to research. Now I'm off to Big 5 Sporting Goods for Porsche parts.

Wes

brp986s
Doesn't the oem biscuit have a metal cylindrical perimeter for bracing? I'd be concerned about distortion or even stripping out the holes. Plus, possible movement between the 2 layers. Afterall, you're probably not running 155/80/15 tires - there will be alot of force acting on that thing.

Maybe a better solution would be to cast your own part using Flexane. Flexane is available in different hardnesses. I've read about Boxster owners using this stuff to make engine mounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.