Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 p-brake on 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ss6
Thought I had a set of p-brake assemblies for my project, but it looks like the bolt circle on the set I have (from an '84) is larger than the one on my trailing arms. Also kinda looks like the shoe position will be offset from the mating surface of the vented rotors I'm using. Come to think of it, I had to use 5mm spacers to get the calipers (also from the '84) to line up with the rotors...

Eric Shea's write-up on the topic mentions his p-brake assy's are from a '71 911. Anyone know which model years' 911 e-brake assy's match the bolt circles on our teeners' trailing arms? Did things change back there in 1974?
jim912928
come on people...help us out....i want to do the same thing! I have a complete front and rear suspension from a 71...give us the info!
echocanyons
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=5&t=4909

check out the classics section

also do a search on PP member name Timo
meursault
Things did indeed change there in '74. Trailing arms changed, wheel bearings changed. I couldn't say for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if the handbrake assemblies were changed as well at the same time. Handbrake assemblies on any steel trailing arm should work for the 914. That means any '65-'73 stuff would be fine.
ss6
Already checked out the "classics" post (see above). I've been following this topic since the PP-only days. I believe the original PP post on this mod was by a guy named "wilco" in this thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ke&pagenumber=1

Also, the other early adopter was a guy named "914timo" (not "timo"), then there is the stuff on this board.

What I'm looking for and haven't found yet (aside from Marc's post above) is confirmation of my lame discovery that there are (at least) 2 series of 911 e-brake assy's, (pre-1974 and everything else), and to do the 914 mod you need p-brake assy's from the EARLY 911's. Hershey attendees beware...
914Timo
My frrst name is Timo and I have logged in here as 914timo.

I have done 911 handbrake conversion. My parts were from ยด71 911.
Mueller
A quick check on the Pelican catalog shows that the pads are the same from the early cars on up to '89 (some turbos the same, some different depending on year)....however it appears that parts to rebuild the rear E-brake assembly are only listed for '74-'89.....from this, one could make a good guess that the assemblies are different between the early cars ('73 and older) and the later models ('74 to '89)

Of course they could have just not listed any of the rebuild parts for the early cars.........

what kind of damage are you looking for for the "incorrect" parts?? smile.gif
Gary
Timo,

What did you do for ebrake cables? In particular, did you use the 914 outer sleeve and cable and have the 911 fitting added to the end? My shop is mocking up the cable now with cable clamps between the 914 and 911 cable, but they can't get enough tension on the cable to fully acuate the ebrake. Also what shop did you use to make up the final cable assembly?

Thanks much in advance, Gary
Eric_Shea
I replaced my 71, 911 control arms with the 74 aluminum versions. The 74 arms came complete so I had an extra set of parking brakes (the 71 assembly). I had the opportunity to look at both bearing plates (911 part similar to the 914 bearing cover) from the 71 and the 74. There is a difference. I know because my aluminum arms only came with one plate. I attempted to use the 71 plate (that I wouldn't need in the conversion) on the 74... no fitty. I had to get another plate.

So, sorry for the delay, just saw the post. Here's your answer. 73 and older parking brake assemblies will bolt up to a 914 rear trailing arm. 74 will not "directly" fit. I would imagine that redrilling the holes would net a similar result but... these things shouldn't be loose in any way. Best bet? Call Parts Heaven for a set of earlier parking brake assemblies.
ss6
OK, the plot thickens (at least for me). According to PET, the part number of the handbrake backing plate changes in 1974, '75, and at least once again by '84. Local guru sez we're looking for assy's from the old steel trailing arms, not the aluminum ones.

So one more confirmation that the handbrake parts need to come from a '73 or earlier. That backing plate part number is 901-352-081-14.

I noticed also the brake rotor part number changes somewhere between '75 and the '84 ones I'm running with the '84 calipers I'm using, so now I'm wondering what changed on the rotor (thickness? backspacing? diameter? yada?) and how it will line up with the brake shoes.
Eric_Shea
You lost me.

Why would the plot thicken?

Your own PET number search confirms that the parts may need to come from steel arms.

According to PET, the part number of the handbrake backing plate changes in 1974

That's when they switched to aluminum. I also stated that when doing my conversion the aluminum (1974) ones didn't fit. Maybe this confused you...

I attempted to use the 71 plate (that I wouldn't need in the conversion) on the 74... no fitty
Meaning; I tried to use my 71, 911 bearing plate on my 74, 911 aluminum arm (not the 914). I'm including a picture of the 911 cover plate I'm talking about. This has a larger hole in the middle and the bolt spacing is different.

Facts seem to point to:
73 and older parking brake assemblies will bolt up to a 914 rear trailing arm. 74 will not "directly" fit.

I hope I didn't confuse you... wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
one other helpful note to add:

There is an error in my very first post in the classics section...

Mount 911 front M-Caliper.

Due to the "hat" on a vented rear rotor a "front" caliper will not fit. It is a "rear" 911-m-caliper that you need to use. The "nose" on the front caliper hits the hat on the rotor.
echocanyons
Very interesting, I was under the impression that the e-brake didnt change until the post 89 cars.

SS6, I didnt answer your question because I felt that I lacked the actual experience of putting these together. I felt it best to lead you to the information available rather than fill you full of misinformation that I may pass on <_<
ss6
Not trying to offend or confuse anybody, if I did, I apologize. My intention was to make it easy for those who might be interested to find the "prehistoric" posts (good pix) on this topic over on PP, and also to underscore hopefully with confirmation which model years (in addition to '71) are viable donors for the handbrake mod, and which to stay away from.

My mention of "the plot thickening" referrred to *my particular car*, which is currently using '84 rotors. Don't know (yet) if '84 rotors will talk to '71 brake shoes. (So if I gotta go to '71 rotors, will *they* talk to my '84 calipers - don't like the way this is going...) Maybe I should just buy some wheel chocks...

Once I muddle through my growing pile of parts, I'll report back.
echocanyons
I just test fit a SC rotor to a 71 ebrake assembly, it fits pretty snug but I dont know what the clearances should be.

I think if the shoes were expanded(lever pulled) it should hold nicely.

but of course I dont know for sure.
echocanyons
heres a pic
echocanyons
inner diameter of the rotors is near 7inches
914Timo
What did you do for ebrake cables? In particular, did you use the 914 outer sleeve and cable and have the 911 fitting added to the end? My shop is mocking up the cable now with cable clamps between the 914 and 911 cable, but they can't get enough tension on the cable to fully acuate the ebrake. Also what shop did you use to make up the final cable assembly?

I have custom made cables. I used two 914 right side outer sleeves. In the left side I used old 914 cable, but in the right side I have new longer cable.

I used VM-Vaijeri. Pretty near Helsinki here in Finland laugh.gif
Gary
Why two right-sided sleeves? If I recall, the passenger side is longer, so did you use the old passenger side cable on the driver's side, and have a longer passenger side made?
914Timo
Yes, you need longer cables with 911 e-brake conversion.

Original 914 right side cable is longer than the left. I made new sleeve (cable cover) for left side from old right side sleeve. In the right side I extended the original right side sleeve.
Gary
Dumb question: how does one extend the outer sleeve?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.