Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aluminum windshield trim pieces- how to refinish?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
O.K. the car is painted and the glass guy is showing up on Friday to install a new windshield. The metal trim pieces came off in good shape but needed a good cleaning. I have cleaned them up with green Scotchbrite to a nice clean dull finish. Do I leave them as is or spray some clear on them? I do not want to polish them but I'm afraid if I don't clear them the Florida sun is going to make that natural finish ugly in no time. Thoughts?
Porsche Rescue
This looks like what you need from Pelican Tech Articles.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...ld_moulding.htm
VaccaRabite
Or ditch the silver trim and go to a black rubber surround. I think it leads to a much nicer looking car.

Zach
Katmanken
You have roughed them up with the scotchbrite and can polish them with the really fine scotchbrite pads they sell at Home Despot and Lowes (replacements for steel wool).

No matter what, the aluminum will oxidize within minutes (and look good), so maybe a little wax to seal it to protect it.
McMark
They were anodized from the factory. You could send them out to be redone.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 5 2009, 03:03 PM) *

This looks like what you need from Pelican Tech Articles.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...ld_moulding.htm

Thanks for the link it is very helpful.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2009, 03:08 PM) *

Or ditch the silver trim and go to a black rubber surround. I think it leads to a much nicer looking car.

Zach

I am considering this option also. When I called the glass shop to schedule the install I told them to make sure they had rubber molding on the truck in case I wanted to go that route. What happens to the clips for the aluminum molding if you use the rubber trim? Do they stay in place or get removed?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ May 5 2009, 05:55 PM) *

Agree 100%!!!!

Unless you replace the finish that was destroyed by the Scotchbrite, you may as well paint them. They'll look like crap in 2 weeks.
Pat
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 5 2009, 04:29 PM) *

Agree 100%!!!!

Unless you replace the finish that was destroyed by the Scotchbrite, you may as well paint them. They'll look like crap in 2 weeks.
Pat

I can't get them anodized by Friday biggrin.gif What about spraying with clear?
r_towle
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 5 2009, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 5 2009, 04:29 PM) *

Agree 100%!!!!

Pat

The trim has no function aside from dressing it up.
It does not hold the windshield in place.
It does not stop water...
It just covers the glue...thats all it does.

So, you can send out the parts and get them redone and still drive the car.

RIch
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 5 2009, 07:29 PM) *

Zach

I am considering this option also. When I called the glass shop to schedule the install I told them to make sure they had rubber molding on the truck in case I wanted to go that route. What happens to the clips for the aluminum molding if you use the rubber trim? Do they stay in place or get removed?

You remove the clips. The rubber goes on to the windshield before the windshield is installed, and it becomes more or less self centering. I was able to install mine single handed. Though I can't recommend that, my install would have gone cleaner with a second set of hands.

Your installers will thank you for going rubber. The aluminum trim can break the windshield when installed if they did not get it centered just right, or if the windshield was made a little wonky (which several of them seem to be, I had to trim my PPG glass to get it to fit right and many others here have too.)
Zach
jasons
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 5 2009, 05:32 PM) *

It works, I've done it twice. Just make sure you use some lacquer thinner or paint prep to decontaminate the surface after the polishing process. It may dull a little or discolor a little with clear. But it does work.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2009, 06:14 PM) *

Zach

You remove the clips. The rubber goes on to the windshield before the windshield is installed, and it becomes more or less self centering. I was able to install mine single handed. Though I can't recommend that, my install would have gone cleaner with a second set of hands.

Your installers will thank you for going rubber. The aluminum trim can break the windshield when installed if they did not get it centered just right, or if the windshield was made a little wonky (which several of them seem to be, I had to trim my PPG glass to get it to fit right and many others here have too.)
Zach

Zach , what did the glass guys use for filling in the holes where the plastic clips used to be ?? I have seen no mention of this in any of the rubber install threads , it seems to be a no brainer , but mines seems to be on vacation occassionaly.

Jaxdream
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 6 2009, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2009, 06:14 PM) *

Zach

Zach

Zach , what did the glass guys use for filling in the holes where the plastic clips used to be ?? I have seen no mention of this in any of the rubber install threads , it seems to be a no brainer , but mines seems to be on vacation occassionaly.

Jaxdream

I did my own. I just used windshield adhesive glue. There is a guy on the board that sold a kit. it had frit paint (black windshield paint that hid the glue), and urethane glue, and a black rubber surround.

I did not worry about the holes. If the glue is not water tight (it should be) it will still be just as good as the clips at holding out water.

Zach

jaxdream
Thanks , Zach , I do like to get as many details as possible, trying to eliminate as much error as I can. Sealing these holes would be a priority for a windshiels install, I will have to check in my area for glass people with some 914 install experience , as this may become one of my " by myself projects " as is most things I do. Thanks again for the info.

Jaxdream
rfuerst911sc
I am 99% sure that I'm going to go with the rubber molding vs. the aluminum trim. I think it will make for a cleaner install and this is not a concours car she's more of a bastard GT clone biggrin.gif Thanks everyone for your feedback it is appreciated. beer.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 6 2009, 04:14 PM) *

I am 99% sure that I'm going to go with the rubber molding vs. the aluminum trim. I think it will make for a cleaner install and this is not a concours car she's more of a bastard GT clone biggrin.gif Thanks everyone for your feedback it is appreciated. beer.gif

Rick, I had my windshield installed professionally and elected to go with the rubber seal, with the embedded chrome strip. Here's the link to my website showing and describing the process. The installers just put extra glue in the holes to seal them up. I'm very pleased with the outcome.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 7 2009, 03:16 AM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 6 2009, 04:14 PM) *

Rick, I had my windshield installed professionally and elected to go with the rubber seal, with the embedded chrome strip. Here's the link to my website showing and describing the process. The installers just put extra glue in the holes to seal them up. I'm very pleased with the outcome.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob

Rob that looks great ! Thanks for the link.
rfuerst911sc
The glass guy showed up on time and started the install. First up was the rear window. He masked off the perimeter and painted on several coats of the frit band material. While that was drying he primed the perimeter of the chassis where the glass is to be installed. Took just a few minutes and the back glass was installed. That urethane adhesive is some amazing goop. Then on to the windshield. I discussed with the installer the OEM aluminum molding vs. the newer rubber molding. He stated he would use whatever I wanted. I asked his opinion and he said he prefered a plain rubber molding. He went to his truck and pulled out a roll and showed me what he recommended. I liked the way it looked but I told him I had heard that sometimes the corners will lift. He said don't worry I'll put a little extra urethane in the corners to stop that from happening. So I decided to go with the rubber molding and I'm glad I did I think it looks great. biggrin.gif The installer was very fussy and did a great job not only installing the glass but keeping and goop off my new paint. To say the least I'm a happy camper beerchug.gif
Rav914
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 7 2009, 04:16 AM) *

-- Rob

Rob, that looks great. Where did you source the rubber and trim pieces? Pelican?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.