Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: moving on to the carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
running dual weber 40's on a 74 2.0 engine. 7mm fuel line off a cb performance pump under the tank, now the questions
(a) what size fuel lines should go in the engine bay between the carbs (b)where is the best place to place the lines (don't think resting them on the hot tin is a good idea)
©what is a good "t" to use to split the fuel lines between the carbs
(d)lastly my cross bar linkage is mounted on the forward side of the carbs , are they on backwards?

the winning answers win a free dinner @ my restaurant. actually all 914 owners get free dinner when in nyc
thanks in advance (as usual) chowtime.gif
JoeSharp
Hey Rich, you will need 5/16 hose and the tin has not been to hot in my car. A 5/16 "T" will work fine.
I have seen the cross bar mounted in front of and behind the carbs. It's up to you, the thing about the linkage is how you hook up the cable.
Rav914
a) I used 7mm lines and made a small Al bracket that lifted the lines up off the tin and installed it at the rear of the compartment.
c) I bought a fuel T line from the local parts store
d) Attached is a picture of my linkage set up. All of these items can be sourced from Pierce Manifolds. With the exception of the mounting plates. I bought those from Craig at Camp914.

Nate
nycchef
QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 7 2009, 06:00 AM) *

a) I used 7mm lines and made a small Al bracket that lifted the lines up off the tin and installed it at the rear of the compartment.
d) Attached is a picture of my linkage set up. All of these items can be sourced from Pierce Manifolds. With the exception of the mounting plates. I bought those from Craig at Camp914.

Nate

thanks guys that helps a lot.
nate i noticed you not using a breather box set up. how come?
SLITS
QUOTE(nycchef @ May 7 2009, 07:31 AM) *

Nate

Your '74 (assuming a stock setup) has breather ports on the heads as well as the PCV valve on the oil filler. These head ports are routed to an anti-flashback valve and then to the air cleaner. This provides a modicum of vacuum for crankcase pressure relief (yes, they spit oil). The PCV is routed to a port on the plenum (high vacuum) for the same purpose. Both are emissions control devices.

When you go to carbs, you either tap one of the air cleaners for a vacuum source for the head breathers or run to a breather box mounted high in the engine compartment to avoid blowing oil all over your new engine at higher rpms.

'75-'76 cars were sealed (no head ports) and no PCV valve in place. Oil filler port was an open hole routed to the air cleaner for crankcase pressure relief.
neil30076
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 7 2009, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ May 7 2009, 07:31 AM) *

Nate

Your '74 (assuming a stock setup) has breather ports on the heads as well as the PCV valve on the oil filler. These head ports are routed to an anti-flashback valve and then to the air cleaner. This provides a modicum of vacuum for crankcase pressure relief (yes, they spit oil). The PCV is routed to a port on the plenum (high vacuum) for the same purpose. Both are emissions control devices.

When you go to carbs, you either tap one of the air cleaners for a vacuum source for the head breathers or run to a breather box mounted high in the engine compartment to avoid blowing oil all over your new engine at higher rpms.

'75-'76 cars were sealed (no head ports) and no PCV valve in place. Oil filler port was an open hole routed to the air cleaner for crankcase pressure relief.

Rich,
my setup is front mount crossbar, 5/16 fuel lines run across the back bulkhead at the top - you can probably make out from the picture. Breather hose tapped into one air filter cap.
Now and before rebuild-
nycchef
thanks guys that gives me everything. i need gonna shoot for a monday start or explosion will post results or next of kin we'll see piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.