Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I'm looking at this size tire. It's a bit over sized diameter wise.

Has anyone tried this tire size under stock fenders?
maf914
That's an unusual tire size. You'll end up with a tire that is larger in diameter than stock.

You can check out tire dimensions with the tire size calculator on this site at 914 Info. http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php

Why not use a 205/55 x 16. That is one of the most commonly available performance tire sizes for all sorts of cars and its closer to stock diameter than the 205/65.
toon1
It is a odd tire size. My intention was to overdrive things a bit. I'm just not sure if they will rub while turning in the front being a wider and slightly taller tire. The rears will be ok
VaccaRabite
16 or 15 inch wheel? You say 16, but that is bigger then usual unless you are using other wheels.

205/65 15 is usually the largest that will go under w/o rubbing. with an inch more wheel, you may have issues. Of course if you are using 16 inch wheels they may have a backspace that invalidates all the usual common wisdom.

Zach
orange914
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 8 2009, 10:13 AM) *

It is a odd tire size. My intention was to overdrive things a bit. I'm just not sure if they will rub while turning in the front being a wider and slightly taller tire. The rears will be ok

do you want to lug it on the freeway, weren't you running hot before?

mike
highways
How about just getting the best tire you can even if the size is a little different? Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1. Has a wear factor (rubber softness) of 200. Closest thing to slicks you can put on a street car and get some real use out of. Most tires you'll come across are wear factor 400... which makes them less sticky. Prices are reasonable too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...rt+Z1+Star+Spec
toon1
It looks like I will just have to try them. The sidewall height is the same as a 205/65/15 but the radius and diameter are different. I have some Boxter wheels that I will be using, the offset is different.

orange914
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 9 2009, 02:02 PM) *

It looks like I will just have to try them. The sidewall height is the same as a 205/65/15 but the radius and diameter are different. I have some Boxter wheels that I will be using, the offset is different.

205/65/15 are going to really be porky, do you think they'll fit the rear? you may have to roll/tug out the wells alot.

mike
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 9 2009, 08:58 PM) *

205/65/15 are going to really be porky, do you think they'll fit the rear? you may have to roll/tug out the wells alot.

May be a little, but I doubt you will have to go out a lot. 205/60 15s almost always fit with the stock offset, though they are close. Roll the lip under, and I bet they work fine.

I'd be more concerned with the offset causing them to rub on the fronts when you are turning.

Zach

firstknight13
boxter wheels....2" wheel spacer to clear the inner suspension arm and you will need flares.... driving.gif ask me how i know....CFR does great flares....ask me how i know....i'm running 7"and 9" X 16
effutuo101
This is worthless without Pictures!
orange914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 9 2009, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 9 2009, 08:58 PM) *

May be a little, but I doubt you will have to go out a lot. 205/60 15s almost always fit with the stock offset, though they are close. Roll the lip under, and I bet they work fine.

I'd be more concerned with the offset causing them to rub on the fronts when you are turning.

Zach

yes, i'm running 205/60/15, we rolled the lips and pulled the rear fenders a wee bit before paint but they are close... they have yet to rub front or rear but very close. 205/65 grows a tad wider as it gets taller (to keep the %). it would be nice though if it fit because it should be alot closer to the original height.

mike
jimtab
I just put Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position 195/65-15s on my stock bodied '73...stock fenders with no rolling and the guys at Custom Alignment said the width was probably about all that would fit in a 65 series, without rubbing at least a little. The last tires were Falken Aenzis in 205/50-15...excellent on track or AutoX but a pain in the ass everywhere else, the car is low to start with but I got tired of scraping when I ran over a shadow.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.