Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do you install new trunk rollers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have new brass rollers to install on the rear trunk torsion rods. How the heck do you unload the torsion bars to slide on the rollers?
SGB
Use a deep well 10mm socket on a long extension as a tool. I've always had the trunk removed, so that might be neccessary- but stick the socket down over the torsion spring then lever it down to clear the pivot, Wear some thick gloves in case something gets pinched or goes flying.... It will be easy if there is someone who can reach in then and slide off the old roller and slide on the new one (no circlips or retainers- the spring holds it in place). If you are by yourself, you can let the extension up very slowly until it contacts the underside of the body panel by the hood opening- and just leave the whole assembly in place while tyou swap out the rollers. I've even driven my car with one of these holding the spring down. Its a little scary but turns out no big deal...
r_towle
just lean on the socket extension with one hand...move quick...pull off the old roller and put on the new one.

RIch
carr914
agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 9 2009, 03:28 PM) *

I have new brass rollers to install on the rear trunk torsion rods. How the heck do you unload the torsion bars to slide on the rollers?

I wonder if anyone ever checks the "Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum" ... confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=39320

shades.gif Andy
Katmanken
Be careful...

Wasn't it Dave Darling that got whacked in his chest (by the evil tool) and thought his heart was gonna stop????

Ken
Dave_Darling
I was using a box-end wrench, not a socket. The wrench rotated, allowing the torsion rod to move upward. It hit the roller pivot, rocketing the trunk hinge upward at roughly Mach 3, straight into my chest.

Ouch...

--DD
rick 918-S
Q) How do you install new trunk rollers?

A) Very carefully! unsure.gif
naro914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 10 2009, 12:53 PM) *

Q) How do you install new trunk rollers?

A) Very carefully! unsure.gif

or B ) let someone else do them.
black73
I used a pipe wrench on the end of the torsion rod... like the 10mm socket trick, only with more leverage.
Dave_Darling
I wouldn't use the pipe wrench. Too muc chance of it rotating like my box-end wrench did...

--DD
black73
Not really. The pipe wrench was made for holding things. rolleyes.gif
JoeSharp
Someone makes a tool for it. Just a bar of steel with a notch in it. I did one out of the froming stake.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 11 2009, 07:50 AM) *

Someone makes a tool for it. Just a bar of steel with a notch in it. I did one out of the froming stake.

agree.gif
An easy to make one is to drill a hole in a bar of steel near the edge then hack saw to the side making a notch. All the other idea's scare me.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 9 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Rick, give me a call, I have a reproduction of the factory tool to hold the torsion bars down, while changing the roller.... Cell 813 390-1891, home 813 719-7518...

-- Rob
zonedoubt
...with eye & face protection.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 11 2009, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 9 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Rick, give me a call, I have a reproduction of the factory tool to hold the torsion bars down, while changing the roller.... Cell 813 390-1891, home 813 719-7518...

-- Rob

Rob I'll give you a call tomorrow. Thanks
rfuerst911sc
The suggestions from you guys was helpful and tonight I attacked the torsion bars with a 3/4 drive 9mm socket on an extension. Only took about 2 minutes and both sides were done. I took an inventory and I still have all fingers,teeth and eyes so we're good to go biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.