Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle position switch (TPS) repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
davesprinkle
I just received the boards for the late 1.7liter cars. (Please note that these boards will not work on the early 1.7 cars. Completely different switches.) Sorry that this has taken so long. Here's a pic:
pbanders
Dave, this is all great stuff! Awesome engineering, planning, and implementation, too!

One other suggestion I would recommend to people who are replacing their TPS boards, and to owners who have board that are still working well, is to consider using a contact lubricant to reduce wear on the wiping trace. Two products are Deoxit D-5 and Stabilant 22. Both should extend the life of the TPS by reducing trace wear.

Note that because most of the wear happens near the start of the trace, because this is the area where you spend most of the time at part-load with a small throttle opening, while cruising.

Dave, I'll update my parts page with info on your board replacement.
Rod
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 29 2010, 03:15 AM) *

I just received the boards for the late 1.7liter cars. (Please note that these boards will not work on the early 1.7 cars. Completely different switches.) Sorry that this has taken so long. Here's a pic:

Mines a March 1973 1.7l, would this be correct for your new tps? Mine is filthy, so If correct I would love one..

Please let me know... rodsrugs(at)me.com
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Rod @ Jan 29 2010, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 29 2010, 03:15 AM) *

Mines a March 1973 1.7l, would this be correct for your new tps? Mine is filthy, so If correct I would love one..

Please let me know... rodsrugs(at)me.com

Yes, this board will work for your car.
McMark
Dave, could you add something in the Member Vendor forum? You'll probably sell more. wink.gif
johnwmrvw
Hello, I'm interested in your circuit board. I live in Vancouver and work in Portland
(Gladstone to be exact) please reply and I can give my contact info!
thank you, John
mikeg4
[quote name='davesprinkle' date='Jun 15 2009, 05:14 PM' post='1181084']
I have a board house manufacturing these circuit boards right now. I expect the shipment on 22 June 09.
[/quote
I'd like to purchase a few of your boards.Are they still available?Do you have a 2 liter version?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(mikeg4 @ Feb 16 2010, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jun 15 2009, 05:14 PM) *

I have a board house manufacturing these circuit boards right now. I expect the shipment on 22 June 09.

I'd like to purchase a few of your boards.Are they still available?Do you have a 2 liter version?

Yes, I've got boards available for both the 2.0liter and late 1.7liter cars. $35/each. Send me a PM to discuss purchasing.
ericread
I purchased and installed the new TPS, but I'l having some difficulty in adjustment. Using the following adjustment guide, I tried to perform as directed:

Click to view attachment

But I just can't seem to get the Ohm Meter to go to zero.

Now, please take a look at my TPS:

Click to view attachment

Should the wires "C" between post "A" and post "B" always short between these posts, or is there an offset where the wire only either contacts post "A" or post "B", but never both at the same time?

In looking at my TPS, can you see anything else which my be causing my problems?

I drive a 1974 2.0L stock FI engine.

My thanks in advance.

Eric Read
davesprinkle
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 17 2010, 03:19 PM) *

I purchased and installed the new TPS, but I'l having some difficulty in adjustment. Using the following adjustment guide, I tried to perform as directed:

Click to view attachment

But I just can't seem to get the Ohm Meter to go to zero.

Now, please take a look at my TPS:

Click to view attachment

Should the wires "C" between post "A" and post "B" always short between these posts, or is there an offset where the wire only either contacts post "A" or post "B", but never both at the same time?

In looking at my TPS, can you see anything else which my be causing my problems?

I drive a 1974 2.0L stock FI engine.

My thanks in advance.

Eric Read

Eric, the switch is designed with hysteresis (backlash) so that contact C is shorted either to post A OR to post B, but never to both simultaneously. In this way, the ECU can detect an opening throttle vs. a closing throttle.

But here is the problem with your TPS -- you've got a 2.0 liter board mounted in a 1.7 liter sensor plate. The 1.7 liter throttle rotates the opposite direction, so your mismatched sensor will never detect idle.
ericread
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Feb 17 2010, 08:52 PM) *

Eric, the switch is designed with hysteresis (backlash) so that contact C is shorted either to post A OR to post B, but never to both simultaneously. In this way, the ECU can detect an opening throttle vs. a closing throttle.

But here is the problem with your TPS -- you've got a 2.0 liter board mounted in a 1.7 liter sensor plate. The 1.7 liter throttle rotates the opposite direction, so your mismatched sensor will never detect idle.

That would make sense. Thanks!

Eric
hushpuppy
dave,
do you still have any of the boards left 75 2.0 thanks,
jagalyn
QUOTE(hushpuppy @ Sep 21 2018, 04:57 PM) *

dave,

https://900designs.zoeysite.com/index.php/c...n-sensor-board/
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2009, 04:11 PM) *

Isnt that gold?
Could gold leafbe applied tofix the groove?
Even silver solder might work?

Rich

Good idea, but gold leaf is generally applied with some varnish as glue. Conduction might be a problem. True silver solder melts at a temp that would vaporize the board. Plating is certainly an option as long as you hav3 a thin film of metal to go on. I have used cars well products a lot and they offer gold and silver kits. Hmmm.

Whoops. Thought they we’re gone because I didn’t check the dates of the posts.
Tbrown4x4
914Rubber has the boards in stock.

Oops. I didn't see jagalyn's link.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Sep 26 2018, 10:17 PM) *

dave,

So why does the part listing for a 2.0L TPS board have a description for a 1.7L car?
Mikey914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 27 2018, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Sep 26 2018, 10:17 PM) *

dave,

So why does the part listing for a 2.0L TPS board have a description for a 1.7L car?

Because we screwed the pooch. Sorry about that. It is indeed for the 2.0. We will get that fixed.
Thx
Mark
davesprinkle
QUOTE(hushpuppy @ Sep 21 2018, 05:57 PM) *

dave,

Yes, I've still got boards available for the late 1.7 liter cars and for the 2.0 liter cars. You can PM me if you're interested.

I'm aware that 914rubber is also manufacturing these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.