Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Radios - Fact or Fiction?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rwjames
My 1973 914 2.0 has a Sapphire radio with black basketweave plastic faceplate. The COA does not list a radio on the option list. In my opinion, it was dealer installed.

My 1970 914-6 has a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio with vinyl wrapped steel faceplate. The original window sticker and 15 year old COA both show the Frankfurt radio under optional equipment.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rwjames @ May 12 2009, 06:35 PM) *

My 1970 914-6 has a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio with vinyl wrapped steel faceplate. The original window sticker and 15 year old COA both show the Frankfurt radio under optional equipment.

Do i see a pattern here? Anyone out there with a /4 COA that lists a radio?
idea.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
Here is some more info:

Wolfgang sent me several Euro price lists awhile ago. In order below, they are from 1971, 1973, 1974 & 1975. They all list radios as factory options, M-code items for both the 914/4 and 914/6. These lists are sales literature for Euro 914s only. Notice that the 914/6 had both Euro-version and USA-version radios available.

Similar factory price lists for USA-market 914s are not available, that would clarify how USA 914s were treated.

Is it possible that Euro 914/4s and 914/6s had factory-installed radios? There is alot of documentation showing that USA-market 914/6 radios were factory-equipment.

Could it be a Stuttgart vs. Osnabruck thing?...Porsche provided radios from the factory (for both the USA and Euro market 914/6s) and Karmann only put radios in the Euro 914/4. Karmanns purpose was to bring the 914 to market at a lower price, and not including the the radios for USA market cars would achieve that. Besides most Americans would want to change the radio anyway.

I checked all my 914/4 and 914/6 windshield stickers and COAs. Several of the 914/6 have radios listed, none of the 914/4 paperwork that looks legitimate have the radio.
Gustl
Andy,

you deny everything and can't provide anything

your comments are ridiculous and almost embarrassing

this is a waste of time

I absolutely regret that I jumped on this train - but this is my station
I'm out

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 12 2009, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Just show me one ...

If that's enough for you to draw your conclusions from Andy, right on. Me, I'm inclined to believe the other empirical evidence to the contrary that we've seen here. Let's agree to let the other rational folks out there do the same. Thanks for your input though, I'll definitely pay closer attention to the antennae hole in the future!

Back to this radio plate question. Hopefully there will be some examples posted for reference.

Plastic? Vinyl on steel? popcorn[1].gif

Here is a photo of my radio in my Euro 6. The trim is metal. Arrived with radio. As far as I can tell it came with the car originally.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
option codes for 914-6 factory installed radios (and the vast majority of U.S. dealers ordered the 914s without a radio) are as follows

452 Radio Blaupunkt Frankfurt l m k u
453 Radio Blaupunkt Frankfurt US Band m u
454 Radio Blaupunkt Koln Automatik l m k u

these radios included the antenna loudspeaker kit.
the code for the loud speaker alone is 440
the four cylinder radio codes were as follows
095 Radio Blaupunkt Wolfsburg mw lw
097 Radio Blaupunkt Emden MW LW UKW

these of course are only for the 70 - 72 cars as the factory document I have was printed 9/1/71

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 11 2009, 12:29 PM) *

Edit: This thread started out with my question below but quickly changed to a debate about whether or not any 914s ever came from the factory with radios. Lots of cool pics at least! But since I have a vested interest in my original question I'm going to take it elsewhere and let this thread continue down the path of the "radios debate". Even gave it a new title to draw more members with interest in that topic. smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so this post probably belongs in the originality forum but I need to figure this out asap and answers come slooooooow over there...so, sorry Pat.

My /6 came from the factory with a Frankfurt. The radio that's in there now (Sapphire, see below), while period correct, doesn't match the COA so I'm going to replace it while I tackle the dash replacement. The plate around the Sapphire is a plastic, attached piece and after doing some searching here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure it's actually part of the stereo and not part of the car.

So my question is ~ what's gonna be correct? Judging from pics I've dug up and and based on my '74, I'm guessing it's just that little metal plate/surround piece covered in basketweave material. Can anyone here speak to this?

thanks!

Reid

(sorry for blurry pic)

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.