Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Radios - Fact or Fiction?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Lavanaut
Edit: This thread started out with my question below but quickly changed to a debate about whether or not any 914s ever came from the factory with radios. Lots of cool pics at least! But since I have a vested interest in my original question I'm going to take it elsewhere and let this thread continue down the path of the "radios debate". Even gave it a new title to draw more members with interest in that topic. smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so this post probably belongs in the originality forum but I need to figure this out asap and answers come slooooooow over there...so, sorry Pat.

My /6 came from the factory with a Frankfurt. The radio that's in there now (Sapphire, see below), while period correct, doesn't match the COA so I'm going to replace it while I tackle the dash replacement. The plate around the Sapphire is a plastic, attached piece and after doing some searching here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure it's actually part of the stereo and not part of the car.

So my question is ~ what's gonna be correct? Judging from pics I've dug up and and based on my '74, I'm guessing it's just that little metal plate/surround piece covered in basketweave material. Can anyone here speak to this?

thanks!

Reid

(sorry for blurry pic)

Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
That plate is exactly like the one I pulled out of the 76 I just whacked....
MDG
it's identical to the Sapphire in my ,73 as well. And yes, that chromed plastic surround is part of the stereo not the car
McMark
Yeah, most of them are a steel 18g plate that has basketweave attached to it.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(MDG @ May 11 2009, 01:02 PM) *

And yes, that chromed plastic surround is part of the stereo not the car

It's actually the whole plate (plastic), not just the chrome part.

QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2009, 01:05 PM) *

Yeah, most of them are a steel 18g plate that has basketweave attached to it.

Mark, do you know if that's true coming from the factory? I'm 99% certain at this point, but that last 1% is giving me fits.

Thanks
Gustl
back in the days there was an original Blaupunkt radio installation kit available
it included the correct face plate, all brackets, cable, speakers and what else you would need to install the radio
I've seen a NOS kit for sale last year, but the asking price was just hilarious (somewhat around US$ 300)

see here a correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt, installed in a 914-6

Joe Bob
Well, I just looked.... my /6 has the same crappy Sapphire AM/FM.....
Gustl
found some photos from the original Blaupunkt installation kit

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MDG
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 11 2009, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ May 11 2009, 01:02 PM) *

And yes, that chromed plastic surround is part of the stereo not the car

It's actually the whole plate (plastic), not just the chrome part.
Thanks

ah, I though you were just referring to the dial/button surround. The actual plate that the radio mounts in (which gets covered with the squareweave for your year) is metal on both of my cars. But mine are '73 and '76 - not sure if the early ones were plastic.
Cap'n Krusty
Every plate I've seen has been steel with a vinyl covering. I've never, in my 36 years of working on 914s, ever seen a factory installed radio in one.

The Cap'n
Lavanaut
Great pics Wolfgang, thanks. The closeup of the radio is just what I've been looking for. That install kit is still available, but it's $500!! icon8.gif

Good input Cap'n, sounds like I need a plastic plate to fit the Frankfurt.

Thanks all!

Reid
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 11 2009, 04:18 PM) *

Cap'n, I think you just answered my question but I want to make sure I understand what you're saying -- that factory installed radios were never mounted in a vinyl-covered plate, but were instead mounted in a plastic plate (like the one in my first post)? Sounds like I need a plastic plate that'll fit the Frankfurt.

I think what he meant is that there are no factory installed radios.

The radios were dealer installed and it was up to the dealer on how to install them.
shades.gif Andy
Lavanaut
Not according to my COA. smile.gif There definitely were factory installed radios, I've come across that in my research many times!

Wolfgang has the facts/opt codes, I know...
Lavanaut
Just to dispel the idea that I'm making this stuff up, I grabbed one of my books. Rich Johnson's 914 and 914-6 A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, p. 66:
Many radios were dealer-installed making numer-
ous combinations of radios and aerials original. The
chart on the right lists radio types offered as original
equipment by the Porsche factory.

..and then, in the chart for '71:

Frankfurt - U.S., AM/FM

...which is exactly what my COA says. I'm convinced. wink.gif

Reid
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 11 2009, 04:30 PM) *

Not according to my COA. smile.gif There definitely were factory installed radios, I've come across that in my research many times! Wolfgang has the facts/opt codes, I know...

Yes, there were factory "options" for different radios, but the actual *install* was done by the dealer, not the factory.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And according to all the books, a Heated AND Tinted Rear Window never existed, but I have one, so don't believe every myth that comes down the road.

T.C.
SirAndy
The COA tells you what your car was ordered with, not how it left the factory ...

It's a marketing tool, not a assembly line checklist.
shades.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 02:02 AM) *

Yes, there were factory "options" for different radios, but the actual *install* was done by the dealer, not the factory.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

sorry Andy, but that's not correct IPB Image

every option, that had a "M-Oprion Code" was installed by the factory

other additional equipment (like ski racks, snow chains, suit case set, ...) that had order codes like 914.801.901.00 (that's the ski rack) was not factory installed
when you picked up your 914 at the factory then they gave it to you,
when you picked up your 914 at the dealer then it was "dealer installed" (if possible)

of course there was the possibility, that a dealer beefed up a new 914 with a dealer installed radio (for example when the customer wanted another radio than possible from the factory), but there was also the possibility that the car came with a factory installed radio, which is shown on the COA

a dealer installed radio is NEVER on a COA

the COA represents the configuration when the car left the assembly line at the factory - they had "configuration cards for every car they built

just think about this: do you really think that the factory corrects this cards after the car was sold ?? that means, that they had so search for some very old cards to insert new infos, when the car sold 6 months after it left factory
and to some markets it took pretty long to get the cars shipped to and then they needed to sell them (thinking of the USA, Japan and others)

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 04:44 AM) *

shades.gif Andy

might be correct for today

but the infos on the COA come from microfishes form the old production cards
and these cards represent the configuration from the car leaving the assembly line - not as a check list, but as a "to do list"
carr914
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2009, 11:44 PM) *

The COA tells you what your car was ordered with, not how it left the factory ...

shades.gif Andy

If you look, my COA is an older one (when they cared and actually got things right), not one of the newer pieces of rubbish. Signed by Fred Scwab - he's been gone quite awhile.

I'm pretty sure that my car left the Factory with Paint, a Leather Steering Wheel, Light Alloy Wheels and a Radio
914Sixer
Rear windows were never tinted! Heated or unheated.
agentblr
I agree with What the capt'n said about the Face plates..... until a month ago I parted an early 73 2.0 and the face plate is solid plastic with the basket weave pattern that exactly maches the vinly. It does not have the same opening as 914sixers though. It has what I call the din style opening basicly the same as the radio hole in the dash. So is this peice porsche or blaupunkt?? or aftermarket?
rwjames
For what it's worth, both the original window sticker and 15 year old COA for my 1970 914-6 show the Frankfurt radio.

I don't have a copy of the COA with me, but here is a scan of the original window sticker.
carr914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 12 2009, 08:17 AM) *

Then I must have the only one in existence

T.C.
Gustl
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 12 2009, 03:37 PM) *

T.C.

not really - a friend of mine has one on the shelf
I was always wondering about this one - tinted and heated - and everyone knew that it shouldn't exist confused24.gif

so - it's good to know that you also have one smile.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 11 2009, 11:55 PM) *

every option, that had a "M-Oprion Code" was installed by the factory

other additional equipment (like ski racks, snow chains, suit case set, ...) that had order codes like 914.801.901.00 (that's the ski rack) was not factory installed
when you picked up your 914 at the factory then they gave it to you,
when you picked up your 914 at the dealer then it was "dealer installed" (if possible)

of course there was the possibility, that a dealer beefed up a new 914 with a dealer installed radio (for example when the customer wanted another radio than possible from the factory), but there was also the possibility that the car came with a factory installed radio, which is shown on the COA

a dealer installed radio is NEVER on a COA

Thanks for that Wolfgang. I feel there is sufficient evidence to support the notion that some cars did in fact come from the factory with a stereo. And actually, I have yet to see any evidence that this isn't true. confused24.gif

QUOTE(rwjames @ May 12 2009, 07:22 AM) *

For what it's worth, both the original window sticker and 15 year old COA for my 1970 914-6 show the Frankfurt radio.

Let's bring this back around to the original topic ~ what surrounds the Frankfurt in your six? Is it a plastic plate, or is it basketweave vinyl over (presumably) steel?

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 12 2009, 10:24 AM) *

And actually, I have yet to see any evidence that this isn't true. confused24.gif

Show me one car with a nice, clean antenna hole and not one that looks like it was hacked into the fender by a 3 year old.
shades.gif Andy
Gustl
Andy, check the old marketing brochures and magazine ads
every 2nd car has the antenna on the driver's side front fender and some interior shots show various radios
I'm absolutely sure that these cars had factory installed radios - not dealer installed w00t.gif

and btw - here's another one with factory installed radio and antenna (it was not sold via dealership) wink.gif

Click to view attachment

bye1.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 12 2009, 11:24 AM) *

and btw - here's another one with factory installed radio and antenna (it was not sold via dealership) wink.gif

Needs wheel spacers in the front!
shades.gif Andy
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Show me one car with a nice, clean antenna hole and not one that looks like it was hacked into the fender by a 3 year old.
shades.gif Andy

That's the "evidence" that has you convinced that these other documents/resources are incorrect? blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 12 2009, 11:43 AM) *

blink.gif

Just show me one ...
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Just show me one ...

If that's enough for you to draw your conclusions from Andy, right on. Me, I'm inclined to believe the other empirical evidence to the contrary that we've seen here. Let's agree to let the other rational folks out there do the same. Thanks for your input though, I'll definitely pay closer attention to the antennae hole in the future!

Back to this radio plate question. Hopefully there will be some examples posted for reference.

Plastic? Vinyl on steel? popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 12 2009, 12:47 PM) *

I'll definitely pay closer attention to the antennae hole in the future!

What antenna hole????

Oh, look at all those factory 914s leaving the Karmann lot. Without an antenna. Or a hole to mount one.

Yes, i can see you did a lot of "research" on the subject ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: I have a whole stash of images from the factory assembly line as well as factory showcars. Not one car has an antenna or a hole to mount one.
Lavanaut
Andy, why so wrapped up in whether or not I believe you? Like I said there've been arguments made for both sides. I'm a rational guy, I've done my own research, I've seen what others have to say, and I've come to my own conclusion. Others will do the same. Why do you feel your opinion must be "right"? confused24.gif

That's a rhetorical question of course. What I'm actually interested in is the plate surrounding Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereos in factory sixes.

Again, Andy, thanks for the input. I'd appreciate it though if you'd let this get back on topic.

Reid
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 09:07 PM) *

Oh, look at all those factory 914s leaving the Karmann lot. Without an antenna. Or a hole to mount one.

on this photo you won't see an antenna even if 9 from 10 cars would have it
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ May 12 2009, 01:25 PM) *

Why do you feel your opinion must be "right"? confused24.gif

confused24.gif

What i feel is that a lot of people around here are way too fast in accepting gossip for truth.
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 12 2009, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 09:07 PM) *

on this photo you won't see an antenna even if 9 from 10 cars would have it

I know. biggrin.gif

I have another one of the Karmann lot that gives you a much better view of the cars, but i agreed not to share that picture. (Along with a whole batch of others from Karmann)

None of them has an antenna.
shades.gif Andy
bandjoey
Now that Karman is bankrupt, it'll be ok to share. lol-2.gif Anyway, the 70 six I bought new from Forest Lane Porsche in Dallas had the radio in the car and on the window sticker...I don't know how it got in the car or on the sticker. Wish I still had the car. popcorn[1].gif Bill
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 09:38 PM) *

None of them has an antenna.
shades.gif Andy

as I told you before ... check all the marketing brochures and magazine ads
there are lots of cars showing the antenna - and some interior shots showing radios

and don't tell me they used cars from any dealership to make factory photos shades.gif

here're just a couple of examples - there are lots more:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
@ Reid

sorry for going deep OT unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 12 2009, 02:03 PM) *

check all the marketing brochures and magazine ads there are lots of cars showing the antenna

A lot of the marketing cars were "dressed up" for the photo shoot. And there's just as many without antenna. So, what does that prove then?

Somebody must have drilled that hole for the antenna into that nice, fresh paint at some point. None of the assembly line pictures i have shows an antenna hole.

If that was in fact a factory job, then why do all antenna holes look like they've been cut by hand with a hacksaw?
idea.gif Andy

PS: Here's a "marketing" display. Note the lack of an antenna.
Gustl
Andy, I can't play this game for a longer time, because I have to go to sleep (remember the time gap)
but here's some additional stuff ...
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 10:11 PM) *

A lot of the marketing cars were "dressed up" for the photo shoot. And there's just as many without antenna. So, what does that prove then?

a lot means not all - and where's your prove that all the antennas in the brochures and ads are just "dressed up"
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2009, 10:11 PM) *

PS: Here's a "marketing" display. Note the lack of an antenna.

and what does this photo prove ??

just that this one 914-6 didn't have an antenna ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 12 2009, 02:37 PM) *

and what does this photo prove ??
just that this one 914-6 didn't have an antenna ...

Yes. smile.gif
Gustl
here are some photos from the Karman factory - note the antennas

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
If that was in fact a factory job, then why do all antenna holes look like they've been cut by hand with a hacksaw?

Back to this again? Man I'll start a different thread about face plates, this has too much momentum to try to stop at this point!

Don't forget Andy, your point is that no cars left the factory with a stereo. You haven't presented any evidence to support that claim - showing two cars w/o antennaes only supports that some cars left the factory without antennaes.

Nobody is disputing that.

Wolfgang (and myself to a far lesser extent) have provided plenty of evidence to support the notion that some cars did leave the factory with radios. None of us were there as eyewitnesses - all we can do is draw conclusions from what documented evidence exists. Scientific method and all that.

Lend credibility to your argument by showing us something that suggests what you're saying is true, otherwise it's your argument that's "gossip" (to use your term).

And hey, no personal attacks...totally unnecessary. I consider myself a student of 914s - I have zero interest in being "right", I just want to learn what is. If what you're saying is true and you can prove it, I will be grateful for the information.

Reid
Gustl
at the 1973 Paris Motor Show

Click to view attachment

at the 1974 Paris Motor Show

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Thanks for those pics, all of which go nicely with what i said earlier.
"Dressed up" for the photo shoot.

Of course you'd want to show all the options in a staged marketing brochure or a auto show.
Just look at all those pretty paint jobs!
popcorn[1].gif Andy
carr914
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 12 2009, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 12 2009, 03:37 PM) *

T.C.

not really - a friend of mine has one on the shelf
I was always wondering about this one - tinted and heated - and everyone knew that it shouldn't exist confused24.gif

so - it's good to know that you also have one smile.gif

Man, I was about to start the bidding for mine at $50k.

No Offense Andy, but your argument about the radios is off track. You've been presented evidence, but you won't concede. You don't present any evidence to your side, but refuse to give in. confused24.gif . Next time I'm in Orlando I will take a picture of my antenna hole for you. I will even take a picture of my other 914-6 that has an antenna in the right location ( doesn't look like a hack job), but I don't have a COA on that car yet. Not that it matters as it will be a Marathon Re-Creation car.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.