Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my write-up on replacing the steering column bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wes V
I just replaced the bearings within the steering column assembly and thought you all would like the write-up. (lots of photos)

my web site page

It was easy and straight forward.

Now the steering wheel doesn't flop around!

Wes Vann

teddyf1
Nicely done! When I make this repair I'll be using your write-up.
Joe Owensby
Good write up. Thanks,

I also liked the other pages you have for reworking the body, and installing flares. Keep up the good work. JoeO
charliew
Good write up, it shows lots of parts not normally seen in the column. There are already some write ups on doing this. If the bottom bearing is ok, it probably will be, it's a lot better bearing than the top one and it's also a sealed bearing where the top one is not. You can really just take the upper housing off of the shaft leaving the shaft and lower housing in the car. The nylon sleeve is the hard part to get it seems it's only a porsche part but a vw metal sleeve and bearing is readily available and will work. It really should be put in with the lip down as you did on either type. Also it's real easy to get some of the wires out of there little channels so watch them closely, it will hang up not going all the way back together if the wires get out of place. There is also a little insulator inbetween the contacts for the highbeam switch to check that it doesn't get broken off. I also have a 72 super beetle and it looks like the turn signal assembly may be the same part as my 75 914 switch. Also some people have said that the bearing was not snug in the aluminum housing and it needed some shimming.
Wes V
Charliew;

When I was doing research, I kept hearing comments on a "Quick Fix" kit. Do you know what it is. All I ever saw were comments, but not what it really is.

As for the lower bearing being sealed. On my 75 the original wasn't sealed. The replacement one was. (as stated in the write-up, the photos are not really in sequence and what may be presented as a "disassembly" photo was in reality taken while I was putting it back together)

Wes
zonedoubt
I don't remember seeing the smaller external retaining ring when I replaced the bearing in my '75. idea.gif
SLITS
The "quick fix" is the plastic sleeve and is available as a 928 part.
Wes V
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ May 13 2009, 09:27 AM) *

I don't remember seeing the smaller external retaining ring when I replaced the bearing in my '75. idea.gif

If you are talking about at the lower bearing; the large circlip holds the bearing in place within the metal bracket (housing). The smaller circlip prevents the shaft from moving toward you as you sit in the drivers seat. In theory, if the u-joint on the intermediate shaft wasn't present, you could just pull the steering wheel and shaft straight out. Depending on how tight the bearing is, it's just not going to happen.

Wes
Wes V
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 13 2009, 09:35 AM) *

The "quick fix" is the plastic sleeve and is available as a 928 part.

Is this something to replace the nylon "collar" that is on the inside surface of the upper bearing, should it get damaged? (in my case, the bearing it's self was pretty much trashed up and loose)

Can it be installed without removing the upper bearing?

Do you know of any write-ups or photos?

Wes
andys
Wes,

Nice write up.

I found my problem to be in the aluminum (die cast) housing. The outside of the bearing wore the aluminum bearing bore just enough to create some slop in the steering wheel. I saw no way to fix this short of boring a larger hole and pressing in a bushing, but that gets complicated with the snap ring groove, limited available material to machine, etc.

Andys
Wes V
QUOTE(andys @ May 13 2009, 11:28 AM) *

Wes,

Nice write up.

I found my problem to be in the aluminum (die cast) housing. The outside of the bearing wore the aluminum bearing bore just enough to create some slop in the steering wheel. I saw no way to fix this short of boring a larger hole and pressing in a bushing, but that gets complicated with the snap ring groove, limited available material to machine, etc.

Andys

Thanks for the comment.

I've heard of people using a couple layers of tin foil as shims.

Unless the housing is cracked, you could try that.

Another thought would be a thin coat of JB weld. Of course, ever servicing it again would be a problem.

Wes
andys
QUOTE(Wes V @ May 13 2009, 11:16 AM) *

I've heard of people using a couple layers of tin foil as shims.

Unless the housing is cracked, you could try that.

Wes

Dang! I never thought of that! Nothing like good backyard engineering!

Andys
Bleyseng
Thanks for a write up as I need to do this repair asap..maybe next week.
charliew
I got into the bearing deal actually working on a 72 bug that I wanted to put a momo on. I thought the vw and the 914 used the same adapter. It was mentioned on that other forum by the leader but in his defence he said he thought. He is after all a old bug guy. That is better than assume I think. The difference is the shaft is longer out of the housing, there is a longer hub skirt dimension. I had a nice fitapaldi on a nice aluminum adapter sold to me as a 914 adapter. It didn't fit the bug so I made it fit thinking it was a 911 adapter. I later found out on doing the 914 bearing deal that it was a perfect fit on the 914. So I ruined it for 914 use. Lavanut sold me a new style momo adapter for the 914. The vw uses a thin rippled (think corrugated tin) sleeve instead of the nylon sleeve and it can be pushed down from the top. I don't know how well it stays in place. It has a small flange on one end meant possibly to go in from the bottom really. I tried the vw sleeve as I had some and it seems to give more than the nylon one. When I put the metal sleeve in I put a piece of conduit on top as a spacer to keep it from sliding up out of the bearing. I had already bought the real stuff from the bird but wanted to see if the vw stuff was just as good. It's a lot cheaper and easy to get. There is a chance the shafts have a variance in dia. and thats why the vw sleeve was a little looser. I thought the metal one would last forever as compaired to the nylon one. It was ok but I knew I would be using wider front tires and more torque would be on the steering wheel and wanted it as solid as I could get it. Although if it's too stiff I will change to a vw power rack. My son is bigger than me and he complains of the fiero with 8 inch front tires as being tough to park. My left hand is not very good on gripping and I manage the fiero but I'm a little slow on parking manuvers.
Wes V
Thanks for posting up that information.

About cost on the upper bearing; The Pelican Parts price is $25.00 for the OEM Porsche part. I paid something like $36.00 at the dealer due to wanting it right away.

I think the $25 price for a complete bearing is reasonable.

What's funny is that I went to the Pelican site to verify the price and on the same page they had the "Quik Fix" sleeve for $14 (OEM). It has a "928" part number. It's wierd how this stuff filters back down to older cars.

Wes
Gint
Nice write up.

FYI, I found a duplicate thread with 0 relies. I deleted it.

Have a look at this thread would you? I could just about drop your article into a tech article here on the site with only very minor formatting.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=71282
Wes V
QUOTE(Gint @ May 15 2009, 07:48 AM) *

FYI, I found a duplicate thread with 0 relies. I deleted it.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Gint;

That wasn't a duplicate thread that you deleted! It was a link to a different write-up that covered rebuilding the steering rack and installing a turbo tie rod end kit.

Is it easy for you to recover it, or should I post it up again?

In regards to posting in the tech article section, I really don't know what stuff you guys would want. The only issue I would have is where jpg's are recorded. In other words, I would want to be able to post them on the 914world server and not the server for my site.

Wes
Gint
Oops... gimme a minute.

And I can put the entire doc on the site here, including the pics.
Wes V
QUOTE(Gint @ May 15 2009, 09:42 PM) *

Oops... gimme a minute.

And I can put the entire doc on the site here, including the pics.

Gint;

I re-posted that thread.

As for doing something with the "technical articles" section, we will work something out.

Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.