Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Filter Strainer Sock Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thompson-mfr
I have been having fuel delivery problems recently, so I am working at the front and going backwards.

I tried searching the site for pictures of the strainer sock filter thing but didn't know where it was or how it was used. Check out the pictures if you have wondered the same thing. I also got some pictures of inside my tank. Thankfully it is in excellent condition.

3/4 or 19mm for the securing nuts at the bottom of the tank.

Pulled both fittings with their short lines off and cleaned with gasoline. You can see them on the red shop rag in next post.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dirty gunk!
Click to view attachment

More pics to come! I hate to read, but love to look at pictures!!!!
thompson-mfr
Here they are laying on a shop towel!

Click to view attachment

Inside the tank

They poke up through these holes.
Click to view attachment

Outside once removed

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
The sock costs less than $5 at most VW supply places like Bugformance etc... I love do it yourself too but lots of effort for a $5 part don't you think?
thompson-mfr
More inside the tank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 14 2009, 09:15 AM) *

The sock costs less than $5 at most VW supply places like Bugformance etc... I love do it yourself too but lots of effort for a $5 part don't you think?

The PO did me a favor by removing the expansion tank, charcoal canister, and support strap (don't know what he did with them). NOT REALLY but did make for easier removal. 80 year old guy that had a funny way of doing things. I found an expansion tank and will add back later.
SGB
well it's not like you can get to it any other way...

I need to replace mine b/c I think it is causing a leak or the connection is just leaking at the bottom of the tank. How does it attach to the fuel output line?

Got a pic of that?
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(SGB @ May 14 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I need to replace mine b/c I think it is causing a leak or thew connection is just leaking at the bottom of the tank. How does it attach to the fuel output line?

Got a pic of that?

Just with a hose clamp, if I understood your question correctly. You have your plastic or SS if your cool (I'm not yet) than a intermediate rubber fuel hose that attaches from that (plastic lines in tunnel) to the tank outlet lines with the hose clamps.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SGB @ May 14 2009, 08:20 AM) *

I need to replace mine b/c I think it is causing a leak or the connection is just leaking at the bottom of the tank. How does it attach to the fuel output line?

Got a pic of that?

The base of the sock is a crush washer. When you insert the fuel outlet in the bottom of the tank and tighten that nut you crush it into place. There is another paper like washer as well...
silverteener
SGB

I would get that fixed. You really don't want to be leaking gas!

I recently replaced the sock in my tank, after I had it boiled and sealed. My tank was full of rust. You couldn't even see the return line opening inside the tank. When I put it back in I made the new lines the same length as the old ones. One line kinked and I couldn't feel it. I had to take the tank back out and shorten the lines up. It's not too bad of a job.

Good luck!
ConeDodger
By the way... That is the cleanest tank I have ever seen!
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 14 2009, 09:27 AM) *

I thought mine looked like it was in good shape. I was going to clean and reinstall. Will it leak without new washers. I noticed the PO used some sealer on the return line. Does the kit come with the washer for the return line also???
Look at the top 2nd pic as you can see right through it. I am guessing the PO replaced it.
rjames

agree.gif You lucked out there. Looks almost spotless!

I thought mine looked like it was in good shape. I was going to clean and reinstall. Will it leak without new washers. I noticed the PO used some sealer on the return line. Does the kit come with the washer for the return line also???
Look at the top 2nd pic as you can see right through it. I am guessing the PO replaced it.

You should definitely replace the washers with new ones. I don't see a hole in the netal return line (I think that's what you meant), but if there is one, you should replace it too. I don't know if these are still available new, but if not someone here probably has one to offer up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.