Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-VW Karmann Meet Today In MIchigan--Photo's--
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

There was a large VW swap meet & car show a few miles from my house today. About 100 cars, buss's and you name it attended along with a swap meet at the Karmann facility in the local area.

I really like the VW buss's. I'll post a few more photo's later this evening when I have more time.

I Love VW events, parts are cheap in the swap meet when you find 914 stuff. I found a few bargins & lined myself up with a secrete vendor who has a large collection of used 914 stuff he wants to get ride of cheap. He buys 914's for the short block motors used in his racing buggy's & does not want 914 stuff. More on this later. stirthepot.gif

Tom
TJB/914
More popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
More later this evening popcorn[1].gif

BTW: the 1952 VW split window drove in from Southern Ohio.

Tom
Jerry
WOW looks like a great show!!!
914rrr
That looks like way too much fun! BTW Tom, I use to live in Elk Rapids, just south of Petoskey.

Nel beerchug.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(914rrr @ May 17 2009, 05:27 PM) *

That looks like way too much fun! BTW Tom, I use to live in Elk Rapids, just south of Petoskey.

Nel beerchug.gif

Hi Nel & Rob,

Small world, Elk Rapids is a beautiful place. Northern MI is a truly beautiful area that is still a big secrete. pray.gif We love the area.
Hope you guys get the tax man off your back. Keep the faith.

Tom

Now: Back to the program. Remember that $10K car on the web everyone was talking about. popcorn[1].gif Nice guy who owned it & didn't care if he sells it. w00t.gif Lots of lookers.
TJB/914
I really did look at the show cars, here's a few beauty's. w00t.gif

The black one from Canada had the original paint.

Tom
TJB/914
Back to the evenings favorites wub.gif , buss's. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
More popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
Nasty, a rusty motor compartment. icon8.gif

T
TJB/914
More VW popcorn[1].gif

T
TJB/914
More VW popcorn[1].gif

T
TJB/914
Primo Petrucci Racing was at the show. Primo is my engine builder & a dam good one. BTW: So are you Jake. wub.gif

Tom
TJB/914
Now some serious stuff. In my weaker moment I paid $20 bucks for this 2.0 Liter engine air housing complete with an alternator. It's a really nice original piece under all that grease. Do you think I can sell it for $150.00 bucks??? I also picked up some 914 wrenches, etc. cheap. I passed up lots of heavy stuff. My rule is never buy iron only the small stuff that stores well. VW meets are good places to find reasonable $$914 stuff.

Tom
TJB/914
That's all folks, I am done for the evening. bye1.gif

Tom
TJB/914
A Monday morning icon_bump.gif

T rolleyes.gif
lotus_65
great show!
where there no teeners? they are karmann bodies after all.
TJB/914
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 18 2009, 04:28 AM) *

great show!
where there no teeners? they are karmann bodies after all.

No Teeners, they were at home on jack stands, including my chrome yellow one.. Mark Mathew's 3.3 six conversation blue one is still on jack stands. Hurry up Mark. confused24.gif I told Mark we have to have ours on the road for the August 09 Woodward Dream Cruise. smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
SGB
Thanks!
lotus_65
Oooo, is that an MK1 'Rocco I spy? wub.gif

mangrum
I also went and took some pics: http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr291/m...VW%20Show%20MI/

I like the Ypsilanti venue better, but I hear that site was under water.

Cheers,
Mike
charliew
Bugs are fun simple little cars. We are finishing up a year of struggle on a 72 super beetle that I gave my son when he was 16. I took it away because he was a drunk. It was stored under a awning on the back of my shed since about 86 or 87. We've been massaging it for a year, almost no rust, I found some under the cresent vents but that was all. One door hinge was rusty from the weather. New everything, about 3k worth. original motor(50k) resealed with ext. oil pump, spring loaded tubes, etc. New clutch, etc. He decided it was more complicated that it seemed at first to detail everything. Alpine white with blue pearl with blue interior. Wood momo wheel. The western eagle 8 spokes he had in the 80's redone, brand new tires off my 75 914. We still have a few little bugs to work out. We drove it yesterday and it develops a shimmy on braking just before it stops. We haven't checked the front end alignment yet. We could smell fuel after riding awhile. Couldn't find any leaks.
KELTY360
Great stuff! I also enjoy VW shows for their variety and generally laid back atmosphere. I went to a show last month and the first rig I saw was this 23 window bus with a period correct tent trailer. I know it was correct because it was identical to the trailer my family had when we went camping in the early 60's. Seeing it behind this bus was perfect since it only weighed a couple hundred pounds. The owner said he'd recently bought it at auction for $50!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

BTW, I don't recognize this car. What is it?

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(charliew @ May 18 2009, 07:48 AM) *

Bugs are fun simple little cars. We are finishing up a year of struggle on a 72 super beetle that I gave my son when he was 16. I took it away because he was a drunk. It was stored under a awning on the back of my shed since about 86 or 87. We've been massaging it for a year, almost no rust, I found some under the cresent vents but that was all. One door hinge was rusty from the weather. New everything, about 3k worth. original motor(50k) resealed with ext. oil pump, spring loaded tubes, etc. New clutch, etc. He decided it was more complicated that it seemed at first to detail everything. Alpine white with blue pearl with blue interior. Wood momo wheel. The western eagle 8 spokes he had in the 80's redone, brand new tires off my 75 914. We still have a few little bugs to work out. We drove it yesterday and it develops a shimmy on braking just before it stops. We haven't checked the front end alignment yet. We could smell fuel after riding awhile. Couldn't find any leaks.

Hi Charliew,

I compliment you helping your son with his 72 Super Beetle project. Kids need parenteal guidance when growing up. Send me your address on my personal email & I'll send your son a nice original 8-page 1972 Super Beetle factory brochure. Good kids need tough love. smash.gif

Tom
tjbliznik@ameritech.net
914rrr
We need to get this in the events section and make it a annual event for the teeners. All of us get together and go to the event.

I wish we would have known about it. headbang.gif We would have been there.

Rob wants to know if they are hiring???? I told him he has never lived in Michigan snow. It is an experience.
type2man
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 18 2009, 01:33 PM) *

Great stuff! I also enjoy VW shows for their variety and generally laid back atmosphere. I went to a show last month and the first rig I saw was this 23 window bus with a period correct tent trailer. I know it was correct because it was identical to the trailer my family had when we went camping in the early 60's. Seeing it behind this bus was perfect since it only weighed a couple hundred pounds. The owner said he'd recently bought it at auction for $50!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

BTW, I don't recognize this car. What is it?

Click to view attachment

That gold colored car is a Puma. It's Mexican or Brazilian built with a VW engine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.