Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buzzer for low oil pressure.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Any of you /6 guys ever add a buzzer to your low oil pressure light? If so, how?
charliew
Some senders also have a extra terminal for a light or buzzer.
SirAndy
You could use the current to the light as a trigger for a relay which in turn feeds a buzzer.

The problem is, at least on my car, the light is on when you turn the key and goes out when the engine starts.

That means, any buzzer off the light circuit would buzz with just the ignition key on. That would get annoying pretty quick.
idea.gif Andy
jt914-6
I think Andy is right. My oil pressure light comes on at idle. I'm using a decent size amber LED light on my dash for the "idiot light". It will get your attention when a buzzer wouldn't @ 6800 rpm and the top off!!!!!
ahdoman
I'm OK with it buzzing along when the light is lit. I just don't want to miss the light if I loose oil pressure while driving. It would be just a safe guard.
Wes V
Try the "the12volt.com" website. They may already have a circuit drawn up.

Wes
lotus_65
why couldn't you just switch the buzzer independently?
confused24.gif
once the car's on the road, throw the rocker and enable the audio...
that sounds like an easy circuit to me.
(no pun intended happy11.gif )
detoxcowboy
Attach a jump wire from the light wire to your horn button wire when the light comes on your horn will ground and you will know the light is on from the horn.. hopefully you never get the low idle light flicker finger..
jmill
Fairly easy addition off of the existing pressure switch. I'm assuming the pressure switch closes to ground at low pressure. The only thing you would have to do is be sure that the power supply to the buzzer is switched with the key. You can add another relay off the ignition and have the buzzer supplied directly from the battery or you can use an existing switched supply.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ahdoman @ May 20 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Any of you /6 guys ever add a buzzer to your low oil pressure light? If so, how?

Steve,

I have the senders with two poles if you are running a gauge and want the light function. If you have the stock fuel/brake light gauge you could splice into that light and a buzzer. It is hard to miss that light.

Bruce
drive-ability

Use a Vacuum switch, that will work independently and control ether a pos or a neg.
I'm looking for one right now via eBay to trigger at high manifold vacuum to simulate braking for my brake lights. I worked for GM and in the late 80s and early 90s the egr valve in Buick's 6 cylinders used a vacuum switch to inform the engine computer the egr is getting vacuum. I've used them to trigger a relay. Its a small package when you remove the switch.
orange914
QUOTE(jmill @ May 20 2009, 07:37 PM) *

Fairly easy addition off of the existing pressure switch. I'm assuming the pressure switch closes to ground at low pressure. The only thing you would have to do is be sure that the power supply to the buzzer is switched with the key. You can add another relay off the ignition and have the buzzer supplied directly from the battery or you can use an existing switched supply.

agree.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 20 2009, 09:50 PM) *

Use a Vacuum switch, that will work independently and control ether a pos or a neg.
I'm looking for one right now via eBay to trigger at high manifold vacuum to simulate braking for my brake lights.

This seems like a misguided idea. They're BRAKE lights, not VACUUM lights. Why not just use the brake switch? Failing that, install a brake system pressure switch.
Dave_Darling
I have heard discussions from racers on hooking up a horn that sounds when only one of the oil or generator lights are on, but not both. You would likely get a short blast on start-up, as the one or the other light goes out first, but then you'd only get a warning if the oil pressure dropped or the fan belt went.

--DD
drive-ability
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ May 22 2009, 08:25 AM) *

I'm looking for one right now via eBay to trigger at high manifold vacuum to simulate braking for my brake lights.

This seems like a misguided idea. They're BRAKE lights, not VACUUM lights. Why not just use the brake switch? Failing that, install a brake system pressure switch.

The vacuum system would be an additional system to the factory brake system. I find with a V-8 the engine is an effective braking system but the folks behind me are slow to pick up on this without a light coming on. On heavy deceleration what ever you peek vacuum production is a light would work well along with the factory brake switch.. IMO smile.gif
yeahmag
There are some pretty loud, and low amp piezo electric buzzers I've been looking at for the same purpose. I was planning on piggy backing it to the oil light...
J P Stein
The low pressure at hot idle is an easy fix with the cam oil line restrictor. I now hold 2 bar at idle. There are differing opinions as to sufficient cam oiling with the restrictors installed....do your research and make your own decision.
Elliot Cannon
You want to hear an annoying buzzer everytime you turn on the key? Take out the clock on your dash and install a great big oil pressure light like the racers use. Maybe hook the oil pressure switch to the windshield washer pump? Or to a computer chip with a sexy voice that says "Darling, your oil pressure is low". (I would recommend a womans voice). Maybe a chip with Slits saying, "Hey, asshole, your oil pressure is low". I'm also thinking a low power tazer under you seat. OK maybe the big oil pressure light would ruin the look of your new dash but I'm just trying to help. lol-2.gif

Cheers, Elliot
JoeSharp
Murphy Switchage makes a oil pressurs gage that turns your engine off if the pressure gets to low.
yeahmag
I've been told those are dangerous and can cause a spin, but what do I know...
yeahmag
Oh wait... That was probably a joke. As in "Murphy's Law". Good grief...
orange914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 22 2009, 09:21 AM) *

There are some pretty loud, and low amp piezo electric buzzers I've been looking at for the same purpose. I was planning on piggy backing it to the oil light...

napa and some flaps sell a nice little 2 wire pizio(?) buzzer. its for alerting you to your lights being left on with the key off.

if you really have a low pessure issue you may want to install a murphy kill switch. (it REALLY is a switch dry.gif )

edit: i gotta start reading the last couple post first... sorry

mike
drive-ability
As I said, use this type of vacuum switch. The system arm's itself only when vacuum is created. No noise unless there's a problem.

IPB Image
lotus_65
I ripped the seat belt warning buzzer out of the Jetta because I was tired of it going off whenever I turned the key (it's a relay style unit that was housed on the board). now I know what to do with it:

1: Jump the oil light circuit to the buzzer.
2: Interrupt the power side with a toggle switch.

Once the car is running, hit the toggle and hope to never hear the buzzer.

thefleur
Porcharu
That is a cool idea. On my old Mustang I could really slow down fast just by lifting off the throttle. It would be nice to have the brake lights on during this. I imagine your car is even quicker to slow as it weighs almost 1000lbs less. I have this idea burned into my little brain for my 914 (2.5 Suby powered someday)
Steve

QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 22 2009, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ May 22 2009, 08:25 AM) *

The vacuum system would be an additional system to the factory brake system. I find with a V-8 the engine is an effective braking system but the folks behind me are slow to pick up on this without a light coming on. On heavy deceleration what ever you peek vacuum production is a light would work well along with the factory brake switch.. IMO smile.gif

Wes V
QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 23 2009, 12:29 AM) *

As I said, use this type of vacuum switch. The system arm's itself only when vacuum is created. No noise unless there's a problem.

IPB Image

Could you please give a source and part number for the switch shown. (and price)

Wes
jim_hoyland
Steve, here ya go:

http://www.napaautoparts.com/MasterPages/N...zer+-+Universal
Wes V
Thanks, but that's not the switch I'm talking about.

I'm askng about the vacuum switch.

Wes
Maltese Falcon
A good inexpensive source for a VW low OP buzzer would be sourcing it from the gauge cluster of any H2o cooled vanagon at your local pick-a-part. The buzzer is located just behind the tach circuit board (clock on non-tach vanagons), and is soldered onto the board @ 4 small points. It's about an inch square in size. The gauge cluster is ez to remove at the yard, and has a couple of plug in ribbon wire junctions. We used to toss these out while doing the 911 engine -to-van conversions driving.gif
marty
drive-ability
QUOTE(Wes V @ May 24 2009, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 23 2009, 12:29 AM) *

IPB Image

Could you please give a source and part number for the switch shown. (and price)

Wes

Hey Wes,
This switch is part of an EGR solenoid which was used in the early 90s on GM V-6 engines. I just have one laying around.
There are Vacuum switches made by Hobbs. They make adjustable units to which you could trigger a relay with, thus control whatever you wish. Here's a link rolleyes.gif

[url= http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/h...p/catswitch.asp]Hobbs Vacuum switch[/url]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.