Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jea69
hello i have a question ,my car is twisting and throwing the alt belt, is there a way

to align the alternator without dropping the motor? i have a 1970 1,7 .

confused24.gif

mid engine blessings barf.gif
Cap'n Krusty
What brand/size belt are you using? Gotta be 10x965, and it should be a European belt. Beyond that, you need to make sure the alternator body isn't worn at the mounting holes, and that both brackets are unworn and unbroken. Replacement of either probably requires removal of the alternator. The Cap'n
rjames
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2009, 05:05 PM) *

What brand/size belt are you using? Gotta be 10x965, and it should be a European belt. Beyond that, you need to make sure the alternator body isn't worn at the mounting holes, and that both brackets are unworn and unbroken. Replacement of either probably requires removal of the alternator. The Cap'n

Sorry for the hijack, but how often does the belt need replacing on average?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rjames @ May 22 2009, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack, but I was sold a Bryco belt, 9.5x965. Will that not work well?

I didn't know anyone still made 9.5s. The size is what came on the car, but the 10mm belts seem to fit and work better. Bryco belts are Japanese. The Cap'n
jea69
hello again, been under the car and i found that the alt bracket vas bendt ,so i

straightened it , but it stil twists the belt , it is the correct belt by the way, there is

a little freeplay in the alt mounting hole , is it suposed to be a tight fit?
jea69
problem solved , po has put the alt pully backside out ,was able to remove the nut

and flip the pully around without remowing the alt piratenanner.gif heres what i did checing

alignment: take a round steel bar 6mm (1/2") 35 cm long (check its straight),

between the alt and fan pully there is a long stud , let the rod rest on the stud and

push it into the fan pully v groove , put the other end on top of the alt v groove ,

check with mirror to see if it crosses over the alt pully, eaven slight variations will

show up this way. cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.