Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brake Line Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mpoffers
I'm trying to replace my passenger side rear soft brake line. I can get the lower/rear connection apart, no problem. I've got the forward/upper fitting loose but I can't get the clip removed from the locating tab. It also looks like putting the thing back together is going to be even more finicky.

Before I spend too much time bloodying my knuckles and getting chunks of 30-year-old grease in my eye, does anyone have any tips for doing this? It looks like I might have more room if I drop the heat exchangers. Is that necessary?

Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mpoffers @ May 23 2009, 09:47 AM) *

I'm trying to replace my passenger side rear soft brake line. I can get the lower/rear connection apart, no problem. I've got the forward/upper fitting loose but I can't get the clip removed from the locating tab. It also looks like putting the thing back together is going to be even more finicky.

Before I spend too much time bloodying my knuckles and getting chunks of 30-year-old grease in my eye, does anyone have any tips for doing this? It looks like I might have more room if I drop the heat exchangers. Is that necessary?

Thanks!

everyone usually bends the tab to access
PRS914-6
clamp a pair of vice grips firmly on the (edit) clip and smack the vice grip with a hammer and it will come right off
charliew
I think he means clamp the vice grips on the clip and then hit the vice grips. I usually need to do that on the ones that are easy to get to also.

It's kind wierd but westdesert has a thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95937 That shows your problem clip and the trouble getting to it. It looks like the visegrips may not fit in but if they do you could use a prybar on them to get the clip out from the bottom.

Try to get the visegrips on it sideways on the turned up part and wiggle it as you are pulling it out of it's groove.

That clip will rotate so you can put the turned up lip in a different spot if that will help. Do you have the needlenose vicegrips? if the clip was turned 90 degrees you could put the needlenose vicegrips on the lip and come out the right side.
wobbletop
Any tips for getting the top clip back on?

I guess if it was turned 90* you could get a hammer in there or something to get that clip back on.
Derek Seymour
My trick for removing the upper hard/soft line union is to first cut the soft line as close to the union as possible. Then you can get a socket on that side.. wrench on the other.. bingo it comes apart quick.

Next take a a hammer and screwdriver to knock the clip side to side, enough to create a gap in between the clip and the union. Insert the flat blade screwdriver in that gap. Use a back and forth twisting motion camming the screwdriver blade between the clip and the union to force the clip straight down. After the bent tab clears the lip of the attachment point you can use pliers to grab it and pull the clip straight off.

Light taps with a hammer to replace the clips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.