Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I cant be the only one driving around
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I already know i need some clutch adjustment, but what a pain in the ass. Last year i was driving around with no clutch at all. (from york pa to baltimore and back again) now i got the clutch working ... thank god. Its alot easier to drive these cars with a clutch. biggrin.gif

now the problem is i got all the gears apon startup, but after about 15min of driving first and reverse are no more. I cant even try to get it in without a terrible sound that says NO WAY MAN. so i start out in second and dont even try reverse. But when the car cools off again their back. WTF.gif

I already talked to evil, he will help me out to rebuid my tranny, but i dont have $$$ for that yet. Any tricks you guys have for me, am i the only one with temporary gearing.

confused24.gif
sbonthemesa
Have your tried adjusting the linkage and replacing the shifter bushings?
Rav914
What he said. You just need to adjust your linkage. A search here will yield a procedure.
Sleepin
Some of us aren't driving around at all! sad.gif
dkjens
If you really need to get in reverse, shut the engine off, shift in reverse, start the engine and do the backing up you need - if that works, for now.
jsayre914
I never would have guessed it to be a linkage problem.

The symptoms seem to be as if trying to shift into first without using the clutch. Not a good idea. Do you really think adjusting the linkage would change that??

i will search now...
It does sound like you need to adjust the linkage. I would bet 4th/5th are real easy to get?

There are plenty of threads on what to do...

Good Luck
jkp
PanelBilly
Wow, You DRIVE your car. I only work on mine!
SirAndy
And make sure both cone screws are tight. All your adjustments will be useless if they're lose ...
shades.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
Do you really think adjusting the linkage would change that??

If it is 1st AND R, yes. And what Andy said.
jsayre914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 24 2009, 02:42 PM) *

Do you really think adjusting the linkage would change that??

If it is 1st AND R, yes. And what Andy said.

it is 1st and reverse, but...

when i put it into 2nd to start from a red light, the rpms choke with the gearshift in 2nd and the clutch pressed down, it wont stall but i can tell the car wants to be in neutral.
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2009, 01:24 PM) *

And make sure both cone screws are tight. All your adjustments will be useless if they're lose ...
shades.gif Andy

agree.gif

When I had Babydoll, I thought the transmission broke when I went out for a drive. Couldn't get her into 1st gear, so I limped home starting off in 2nd (fortunately there were only a few stops). I panicked because I thought I had broken something expensive, especially since it was my job to fix Babydoll in the first place. Turned out to be a loose cone screw at the transmission end.

driving.gif

jsayre914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 24 2009, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2009, 01:24 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

agree.gif

When I had Babydoll, I thought the transmission broke when I went out for a drive. Couldn't get her into 1st gear, so I limped home starting off in 2nd (fortunately there were only a few stops). I panicked because I thought I had broken something expensive, especially since it was my job to fix Babydoll in the first place. Turned out to be a loose cone screw at the transmission end.

driving.gif

when you say "couldnt get into first" did you mean it was grinding like crazy as if no clutch or you meant 1st was missing as in the gear was not there anymore??

zymurgist
Not there any more.
jsayre914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 24 2009, 03:31 PM) *

Not there any more.

mine is still there, but as if no clutch for these 2 gears, and thats only after driving for a little while. I really dont think its a linkage proble, but

what do i know huh.gif
zymurgist
My 911 won't go into 1st... it's as if the clutch isn't releasing completely. I have a new cable, but no time to install it. My workaround is to drop it into 2nd and then move it to 1st.
jsayre914
so... i have been searching throughout the day. It seems that more than likley i need to adust the clutch properly and run a few tests to find out if it could be synchros. I also found out that i put 40oz of the wrong fluid inside the tranny 2 weeks ago.

Lucas w/ additives 80-90 ,every thread says DO NOT USE ADDITIVES.

that might be contributing to the problem too. But i would think that the wrong fluid should be better than no fluid (as it was 40 oz low)

beer3.gif
now i gotta find a way to get the bottom drain plug (stripped) off idea.gif
ericread
Have you closely checked your transmission mount bolts? When I first got my 914, I "lost" first and reverse only to find the left hand transmission bolt was gone and the transmission was hanging from the right mount. Totally screwed up my linkage. Once I replaced the bolt, all was well!!! Basic rookie mistake. Now I check all my bolts quarterly.

Eric Read
number6
Have you checked your clutch cable? I've had 1st and reverse grind like you describe on several occasions, and it's always the cable needing to be tightened. Who knows - maybe it could be that simple smile.gif

While waiting on the rebuild, have you considered just picking up a known good, used tranny? It seems people can't give them away. Heck, I have one that's in great shape that I doubt I can get $200 for. Freight sucks, of course, but there's bound to be one local to you.

Good luck.

-duc
VaccaRabite
How soon after you swapped engines did this start happening?

I bet your tranny is fine, and you just need to fiddle with linkage. This is happening too soon after dropping your motor for me to suspect the tranny is the issue. I bet a bolt or cone screw has worked loose.

Zach
zymurgist
A 914 owner with a screw loose? Say it ain't so!
jsayre914
linkage is fine, everything seems tight. It shifts fine with the engine off, and now it is starting to show problems getting into 1st and reverse from a cold start.

Definatly a clutch problem, new symptoms ...

car will crunch into first if i go from 4th to first. Car will not idle in gear with clutch pressed to the floor, it will die unless i put it in neutral again. It now does this when i start out in second, i cannot shift into gear untill take off or too much hesitation.

i adjusted the clutch cable too far super tight to see if the problem changes and it does not. Car runs great, but the clutch does seem to be worsening in the last 2 days.

i can still drop into any gear while moving with no crunching at all.

guess its time to inspect inside where the pivot arm goes in.??
jsayre914
clutch tube is fine also smile.gif
Dr Evil
I told you the clutch was most likely the issue wink.gif I bet the fly wheel was resurfaced and that the TO bearing is not pushing out far enough. It could be an easy fix of a spacer under the pivot ball.......provided you didnt just death blow your gear box.

I am working for the next two weeks and will be busy for the next two weekends. After the 5th I will be free except for the 13th when I am doing a charity ride. I will see about getting you a done gear box as soon as I can and I can come down and install it. You can pay me later. I am offering this because you use your car as a daily driver and your house is close enough that I can stalk you if you stiff me on the fees wink.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 25 2009, 02:53 PM) *

I told you the clutch was most likely the issue wink.gif I bet the fly wheel was resurfaced and that the TO bearing is not pushing out far enough. It could be an easy fix of a spacer under the pivot ball.......provided you didnt just death blow your gear box.

I am working for the next two weeks and will be busy for the next two weekends. After the 5th I will be free except for the 13th when I am doing a charity ride. I will see about getting you a done gear box as soon as I can and I can come down and install it. You can pay me later. I am offering this because you use your car as a daily driver and your house is close enough that I can stalk you if you stiff me on the fees wink.gif

beerchug.gif av-943.gif

thanks biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.