Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robert_C
I've been working on the wiring in my 914, rodents seem to have eaten the front harness in half. I've made a lot of progress, but am unsure of where some wires lead to. The wires in question are a brown wire and a brown wire with a white stripe coming from the fuse panel that splits off and leads to the brake warning light switch. Could someone tell me where these wires lead to?

I think they may lead to the headlight cleaning system relay but I don't have that option. I have looked on a wiring diagram and neither of the wires are listed.

Attached are pictures of the front of the car. The wires are on the drivers side near the brake fluid resevoir.

Thanks, Robert
914Sixer
Hard to say, they do not appear to be stock.
type47
Brown is usually a generic ground wire. The only thing I found was a brouwn/white in track 16.
Click to view attachment
A&PGirl
The 2 red wires against the brake reservoir do not look like stock wires. The brown one does look stock and it is commonly the ground, unless the PO did something. You need to trace those 2 red wires back to the fuse panel and see if they have been attached to any other wires and where they are attached to the fuse panel. Once you find out, where/what they are attached to, you can probably use the wiring diagrams to figure out where they are suppose to go to. For the brown & white wire use the same approach and find where it is attached to on the fuse panel. After all that you will need a multimeter to check if the wires are still good. The resistance for the wires are listed on the diagrams, if I remember correctly.

The diagrams are available for free on Pelican Parts and are in color opposed to the Haynes manual which is in black & white.

To be honest, it looks like the previous owner did a lot of splicing to your harness in the picture.
SirAndy
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ May 25 2009, 07:08 AM) *

it looks like the previous owner did a lot of splicing to your harness in the picture.

agree.gif
Robert_C
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

We had to replace all the wires going from the fuse panel to the windshield wiper motor, the fuel tank sending unit, defroster blower/fan, and the brake light warning switch. Luckily the wiring going to the headlights, etc was entact. The rodent that got in there must have had a field day because there was nearly 6 inches of wiring missing from those components. The car had been sitting for nearly 7 years when I got it so who knows what made their nest in front trunk.

The two red wires in the picture (which we added) run from the main harness where they enter the trunk all the way to the brake warning light switch (they were originally brown (the ground) and brown with a white stripe. In between there the wires split off and go to another component but what component is the question. The attached picture from my Haynes manual looks as if the wires go to the headlight cleaning system relay because of the location in the picture next to the resevoir.

Another question for you. Could anybody tell me how many wires they have going to their fuel tank sending unit and to which location/terminal? The little varmint also chewed those wires up. There's nothing attached to the tank and the wiring diagrams that I have seen leave a little to be desired making it hard to distinguish to which terminal they would attach.

The wiring diagram indicates the colors are black, brown, and green which checks out with the remnants we found. But as the picture shows, there are four terminals on the sending unit (pictured). If you reply, please reference the terminals starting at the top, that being the 12 o'clock position and the brass terminal being the 6 o'clock position.

Thanks again,
Robert
SirAndy
QUOTE(Robert_C @ May 25 2009, 11:07 AM) *

The attached picture from my Haynes manual looks as if the wires go to the headlight cleaning system relay because of the location in the picture next to the resevoir.

I've never actually seen that installed, so i don't know which wires those would be. But my guess is that the headlight washer system uses a factory addon wiring harness, just like the intermittent washer harness.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=2094

bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Robert_C @ May 25 2009, 11:07 AM) *

But as the picture shows, there are four terminals on the sending unit (pictured).

No. Only 3 terminals. If you look closely, you can see that the 4th is just a locator pin for the black plastic plug.

I'm not sure of the configuration of the three wires, i'm not near my 914 right now.
shades.gif Andy
76-914
I just went thru that entire circuit you are working with but won't be able to reply until tomorrow. A quick thought though. I think I remember the br/wh coming from the ww switch. Mine is column mount, however. Anyway, I remember those (5?) wires going to the ww relay mounted on the drivers side support post, facing rewards. It is very near the washer system relay pictured above( but that ain't it). Sir Andy is right about that plug. Only 3 wires.
Dave_Darling
Do a pencil rubbing (remember those??) on the fuel gauge sender. I can see a "G" next to the four-o-clock pin; that would go to the gauge. (Green, was that?) I think one will be marked "WK" and one will have a ground symbol. The WK one will be for the light, the other for the ground wire (brown).

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.