Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird Starter problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keoni914
This is weird but I previously thought I had a starter problem after Hershey. I stalled it while entering a parking lot on the way home and it would not start. I caught it in gear and continued home. I tried starting upon arrival, nada. Took the starter off and tested GOOD. Car starts! Went for a ride today and when we got home I thought "let me see it if starts". It didn't! Weird. About an hour later it started okay. Any thoughts on a fix???

Thanks

Keoni914
SirAndy
QUOTE(Keoni914 @ May 25 2009, 04:13 PM) *

Any thoughts on a fix???

Get a new starter. It'll only get worse from here.

Some will suggest to install a "hot start" relay but that's just a band aid for a failing starter.

I went to a high torque mini starter and never looked back ...
shades.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
It is actually common. And there seam to be two schools of thought that I have read. One is your starter is bad, or something else is wrong, fix the car right and it wouldn't do that. The second one, and how I took care of the problem is a 'Hot Start Kit'.
wilchek
This is a really common problem. I assume when u say does not start you mean does not crank. The engine bay gets really hot and the starter get a lot of the heat. My VW Thing did the samething. They make smaller starters that some people have used. I guess the theory is that it has more airflow. They also make a thermal blanket that wraps around the starter. 914 also moved the fuel pump to the fron trunk in 75 to help as this was an issue do to the heat as well. I think the heat to the pump would help cause vapor lock.
Keoni914
I'm learning! Thanks

Boy getting that top starter nut on in the engine bay is a real PITA also!

I'll check around for a new starter!

Keoni914
wilchek
There is a rebuilt starter in the classifieds
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95999

Once you know where the nut is it gets easier. The 914 has a lot of stuff like that. Wait until u work on the back brakes.
Keoni914
QUOTE(wilchek @ May 25 2009, 08:38 PM) *

There is a rebuilt starter in the classifieds
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95999

Once you know where the nut is it gets easier. The 914 has a lot of stuff like that. Wait until u work on the back brakes.

Oh thats great to hear! sad.gif I do need to rebuild the rears. Maybe I'll just send them to the Brake Guy on this forum.

I got a connection to a new Parts retailer in CA, I'll ring him up for a price on a starter. (Thanks for the link though!) So far his prices are great!

Keoni914
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(esses62 @ May 25 2009, 08:24 PM) *

Just follow the excellent write up on rebuilding the rear calipers by eric shea. You can do it! smash.gif

Normally I would agree with doing your own work. I do. But when it comes to your life, ask yourself "Self" "Are my mechanical skills good enough to bet our lives on it?"

SGB
And
Eric's work is
AWESOME.

He will do a better job than you thought possible by humans.
Tom
Hope a new starter fixes your problem, but you really should use the search function on this site and read up on what others have experienced in this area. There can be more than one problem in the start circuit. Along with different ways to "fix" those problems. If your new starter has the same heat-soak problems, then you have some wiring problems in the start circuit. Sometimes just cleaning or replacing all of the electrical connectors will solve this problem for a while. Dirt, grease and water will eventually make any connection suspect when it comes to passing current.
Hope this has been of some help. There are some good write ups in here that identify these problems.
Oh, and the brakes, yep- Eric!
Tom
70Sixter
It really was such a common problem that some guy made money selling a relay kit to provide more juice at hot start. Not sure but believe it is still available.

70Sixter
It really was such a common problem that some guy made money selling a relay kit to provide more juice at hot start. Not sure but believe it is still available.

The other solution was to get the lug wrench/jack handle out and smite the solenoid near the starter and sometimes the starter itself. The only time my car failed to hot start (in 1988) the hammer trick worked.
gregrobbins
Check all your electrical connections and wires. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a corroded positive cable.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Tom @ May 26 2009, 10:29 AM) *

Hope a new starter fixes your problem, but you really should use the search function on this site and read up on what others have experienced in this area. There can be more than one problem in the start circuit. Along with different ways to "fix" those problems. If your new starter has the same heat-soak problems, then you have some wiring problems in the start circuit. Sometimes just cleaning or replacing all of the electrical connectors will solve this problem for a while. Dirt, grease and water will eventually make any connection suspect when it comes to passing current.
Hope this has been of some help. There are some good write ups in here that identify these problems.
Oh, and the brakes, yep- Eric!
Tom

agree.gif

I went through all this. I changed the starter, I used a hot start relay, I cleaned all the connections etc. My problem was the ignition switch. I used one from a parts car but a new switch is not too expensive. Much cheaper than a new starter. Your starter may still be a problem but I suggest you go through the starter circuit first.
SUNAB914
I agree with above! Ignition switch everytime for me. They are old and crack with heat. less expensive than a starter that is probably not your problem. Let us know what you find. IGNITION Switch!
Cap'n Krusty
Grounds. Positive wiring. Check the signal from the ignition switch. If it's there and at least 11v with the wire connected to the tab on the starter, then replace the starter. A bad starter is the answer to the question 75-80% of the time. If the switch doesn't send the signal to the starter, replace it. The Cap'n
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2009, 05:21 PM) *

I went to a high torque mini starter and never looked back ...

agree.gif Bought one of the Nippondenso units off eBay and never once had that happen again. Damn that was an annoying problem! headbang.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 25 2009, 05:23 PM) *

The second one, and how I took care of the problem is a 'Hot Start Kit'.

that one worked for me also!! idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.