Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need HELP identifying this part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
celluloid3
Hey Everybody-
So I'm trying to find a part that's missing from my Cylinder Head on the passenger
side just behind the valve. There are one on each side of the engine w/hoses that
connect to the Flashback Valve, the one that is still there seems pretty securely in
place leading me to believe its threaded on the end that goes into the Head/Case.
It was only discovered missing after our Bear Mountain Run when Rory looked at my
car. From the rough driving I had oil in the engine compartment from it splashing out
in the hard turns we were taking. It must not have been there when I bought the car,
because the engine was dry (don't think the previous owner ever drove it that hard)
and the ride back from Massachusetts wasn't exactly curvy by any standards, so I never noticed oil spilling.
It also could not have fallen out of the engine compartment with the hose attached so, that's why I think it was missing for a while...

My engine is a 73 1.7L, any help Identifying and Locating this part would be really helpful.
Attached is a diagram showing the part, but no number/description is listed anywhere in either of the books I have...

Thanks for the help in advance,
Marko
r_towle
Its just a piece of tubing pressed in and probably brazed in place originally.
A better and more secure way is to get two brass fittings for air hoses.
One end is 1/2 or 9/16 NPT plumbing threads...the other end is the barbed end for the hose.
You tap the remaining hole you have...clean up everything and thread in the new fitting.
This can be done in the car...
you need to take your time and remove the valve cover...put a rag under the hole to catch the aluminum pieces.
Cover the tap in thick grease..take a 1/2 turn or more...then remove the tap, clean off the pieces..re-grease, and do more threading..

It takes patience...but it can be done in the car...it can be done safely...you need to think about and plan for the aluminum chips..

RIch
celluloid3
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2009, 11:44 PM) *

Its just a piece of tubing pressed in and probably brazed in place originally.
A better and more secure way is to get two brass fittings for air hoses.
One end is 1/2 or 9/16 NPT plumbing threads...the other end is the barbed end for the hose.
You tap the remaining hole you have...clean up everything and thread in the new fitting.
This can be done in the car...
you need to take your time and remove the valve cover...put a rag under the hole to catch the aluminum pieces.
Cover the tap in thick grease..take a 1/2 turn or more...then remove the tap, clean off the pieces..re-grease, and do more threading..

It takes patience...but it can be done in the car...it can be done safely...you need to think about and plan for the aluminum chips..

RIch

Thanks Rich, I found out that the original pipe is 12mm, so I can replace it with
a 12mm 1" section and braze it. Tapping the hole seems to be a bigger project
left best for the winter when its in storage... Thanks again...
ClayPerrine
The 1.8L L-Jet cars did not have that tube in the heads at all. Make sure you don't have a 1.7L head on one side and a 1.8L head on the other. The valves are different.

And an easy fix is to braise the tube into the valve cover. Much easier than drilling the head.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.