Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuch ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
What does "deep dish" and "with hearts" mean when I see Fuch ads? Thanks
SirAndy
FUCHS

Note the "S" on the end. Which is pronounced ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
type2man
They are called fuchs and it usually refers to the popular 5 spoke 911 wheel although people call any Porsche wheel fuchs. The deep spoke are usually 15x5 1/2 or 15x6 and are an early wheel from the late 60's early 70's. The later mid 70's wheels were usually not deep spoke. The term hearts is the nub that goes around the valve stem on some of the early wheels that makes it look like a heart. They are rarer and more desireable. Some of the terms you hear like earlies, hearts, skinnies, crabs, and king crabs have surfaced in the last few years but they are still called fuchs.
type2man
Click to view attachment

15x6 deep spoke alloy, you can see that the spokes are slightly sunken in. That wheel has a heart but I don't have a closeup of it
Lavanaut
QUOTE(type2man @ May 31 2009, 10:30 PM) *

you can see that the spokes are slightly sunken in

Humbly, I disagree. It's the backgrounds which are "sunken in", especially around the perimeter, giving the paddles/spokes a more pronounced/raised and in my opition "cooler" appearance. smile.gif As the spokes approach the rim of the wheel, you can see where they dip in significantly, giving the wheel a "deep lip" or "deep dish". Search around on the site, there are some good cutaway diagrams that demonstrate the difference between the "deep" and "flat" varieties.

Deeps have a part number that starts with 901, flats start with 911. Deeps were originally designed to be run with tubes as well, but lots and lots of people these days run them without (myself included). You see dramatic warnings from some people stating how incredibly dangerous this is, but I have yet to hear a single case of it causing an issue. Certainly hasn't for me.

The "heart" being more valuable somehow is silly in my opinion, the only argument which comes close to justifying it is that, with the non-hearts, there's less material around the valve stem and this "might" not be as good or as safe. Again, have yet to see any real evidence to support that claim. I have non-hearts on my car.

And actually, I have a set of non-hearts available for sale here, if you're interested.

Below are a couple pics, first two are non-hearts, 3rd is detail of the "heart" on a different set.

beerchug.gif Reid

(edited for clarity)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
Here's a "flat" for comparison:

Click to view attachment
Lightweight_911
Deep sixes without 'hearts' are actually rarer than those with 'hearts' ...
bandjoey
Thanks Guys! Deep dish does look cooller than flat. Bill
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Lightweight_911 @ Jun 1 2009, 11:59 AM) *

Deep sixes without 'hearts' are actually rarer than those with 'hearts' ...

Interesting...got anything to support that claim? I'd always heard the opposite, and I definitely see non-hearts come up for sale far more often than hearts.

popcorn[1].gif
degreeoff
they all be too skinny fer my car.....:-(
type2man
Thats' what I meant when I said the spokes are sunken in. Hard to explain but you have better pictures than I do. It's amazing how the price of these wheels has gone up in price especially the 4 1/2 and the deep 6's. I've owned quite a few sets but now i just collect them. About 6 years ago I sold a set of 4 1/2's and deep 6's for $750. I bought those back about a year later and still have them along with another full set of deep 6's.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type2man @ May 31 2009, 10:16 PM) *

They are called fuchs and it usually refers to the popular 5 spoke 911 wheel although people call any Porsche wheel fuchs. The deep spoke are usually 15x5 1/2 or 15x6 and are an early wheel from the late 60's early 70's. The later mid 70's wheels were usually not deep spoke. The term hearts is the nub that goes around the valve stem on some of the early wheels that makes it look like a heart. They are rarer and more desirable. Some of the terms you hear like earlies, hearts, skinnies, crabs, and king crabs have surfaced in the last few years but they are still called fuchs.

"Fuchs" wheels are wheels made by "Fuchs", a manufacturer in Germany. Other common wheels on Porsches be made by other manufacturers, and are usually referred to by the name of that company, i.e., Mahle, BBS, American, Pedrini, ATS, Minilite, and others. Original equipment wheels will have a Porsche part number on the inside, aftermarket wheels, including replicas, will not. The Cap'n
type2man
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 1 2009, 08:20 PM) *

They are called fuchs and it usually refers to the popular 5 spoke 911 wheel although people call any Porsche wheel fuchs. The deep spoke are usually 15x5 1/2 or 15x6 and are an early wheel from the late 60's early 70's. The later mid 70's wheels were usually not deep spoke. The term hearts is the nub that goes around the valve stem on some of the early wheels that makes it look like a heart. They are rarer and more desirable. Some of the terms you hear like earlies, hearts, skinnies, crabs, and king crabs have surfaced in the last few years but they are still called fuchs.

"Fuchs" wheels are wheels made by "Fuchs", a manufacturer in Germany. Other common wheels on Porsches be made by other manufacturers, and are usually referred to by the name of that company, i.e., Mahle, BBS, American, Pedrini, ATS, Minilite, and others. Original equipment wheels will have a Porsche part number on the inside, aftermarket wheels, including replicas, will not. The Cap'n

So technically 2 liter alloys, cookie cutters, phone dials, boxster wheels, cayenne wheels, turbo twists and any other wheels with a porsche part number on the back are also called fuchs?
SirAndy
QUOTE(type2man @ Jun 1 2009, 08:27 PM) *

So technically 2 liter alloys, cookie cutters, phone dials, boxster wheels, cayenne wheels, turbo twists and any other wheels with a porsche part number on the back are also called fuchs?

confused24.gif

Fuchs are made by "Fuchs".
Original equipment wheels will have a Porsche part number on the inside.

Where in there does it say that all original equipment wheels are made by Fuchs???
shades.gif Andy

PS: Fuchs are made by the "Otto Fuchs KG" http://www.fuchsfelge.de/
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(type2man @ Jun 1 2009, 09:27 PM) *

How could you POSSIBLY read THAT into what I said?

The Cap'n
type2man
Woops, i thought you meant if it had a porsche part number it was a fuchs wheel. Cool website too.
Lightweight_911
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 2 2009, 12:49 AM) *

Interesting...got anything to support that claim? I'd always heard the opposite, and I definitely see non-hearts come up for sale far more often than hearts.

popcorn[1].gif

Deep six Fuchs wheels with 'hearts' were built from Aug '68 - July '70

Deep six Fuchs wheels without 'hearts were built from Aug '70 to Mar '71
Lavanaut
You're implying that, because the production window for non-hearts was shorter, there were fewer made? That fact alone doesn't mean much though. Take the 914-6 - there was a 3-year production window, but roughly 80% were produced for the 1970 model year. Shorter production time doesn't necessarily equate to fewer units overall.

What I don't know is 911 production numbers for 68-70 vs 70-71...but I'd think there's a pretty good chance that the later period saw more cars come off the production line than the prior. idea.gif
Cairo94507
Well all I can say is that I just as pleased as can be that I have a matched set of 5 (dated 1/71) deep six w/o heart wheels for my six. They are in excellent condition but will go to Weidman to be refinished as new from the factory.

The only thing I may consider doing is lowering the paint line a little to make the lip look even deeper. It depends upon what Weidman says when we speak.

Any thoughts re the paint line being lowered?
pete000
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 31 2009, 08:09 PM) *

What does "deep dish" and "with hearts" mean when I see Fuch ads? Thanks

This means "EXPENSIVE" or very costly if OE
sixnotfour
The problem I have with deep 6's is that they are realy a tube type wheel , No saftey bead.
They do look very Cool Though.
Hey look add your own "Hearts"
burton73
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 1 2010, 04:48 PM) *

Well all I can say is that I just as pleased as can be that I have a matched set of 5 (dated 1/71) deep six w/o heart wheels for my six. They are in excellent condition but will go to Weidman to be refinished as new from the factory.

The only thing I may consider doing is lowering the paint line a little to make the lip look even deeper. It depends upon what Weidman says when we speak.

Any thoughts re the paint line being lowered?

What did you have to pay? It is nice to know the cost of poker today.

Bob
914Sixer
See below
914Sixer
I have a set of 14" I am going to use. They must be DEEP 5 1/2" because the backspacing in 4 7/8"(125mm) and they are FLAT on the fronts.
Drums66
dead horse.gif
Cairo94507
Bob: I paid $2,400 delivered with caps. Probably more than I wanted to pay but I wanted a matched set of 5.
Niklas
Hello!

Look at fuchs homepage:

http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=189

Regards

Niklas
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 1 2010, 07:33 PM) *

The problem I have with deep 6's is that they are realy a tube type wheel , No saftey bead.

agree.gif

Number of years back I went and looked at a set of 4 deep sixes. That was the first thing I noticed. These are not meant for tubless tires. I passed on them.
carr914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 3 2010, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 1 2010, 07:33 PM) *

agree.gif

These are not meant for tubeless tires. I passed on them.

That is correct, but that does not mean you can't run a tubeless tire. I ran a set as track wheels for many years with no problem. Well actually the only problem is trying to mount a set of tubeless tires - major pain in the ass
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.