Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: look Ma Iam earless
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
A few pics to show whats involved in fixing the suspension ear in the hell hole. now I know why Brad charges $1500.00 to fix. $395.00 worth of parts from design restoration.

Bernie
bernbomb914
xxx
bernbomb914
xxx
bernbomb914
xxx
bernbomb914
xxx
bernbomb914
xxx
bernbomb914
last one
Jeff Bonanno
yipes! blink.gif
bernbomb914
It shows that it had been repaired before in the same place. Untill I removed the motor I had no idea that it had this much rust. Check your area carefully as it could hurt if it failed at the wrong time. It will be as good as new when we are done.

Bernie
watsonrx13
Bernie, I'll be doing the same procedure in a couple of months, please describe, in detail, the process you're doing. Also, post pics larger, if you can. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Looking good.... smilie_pokal.gif
bernbomb914
rob email me your address and I will send the pic full size

bernie@iinet.com
john rogers
Good job so far! Don't you just love welding in those sort of places? I had to do some repairs on my race car and it sure is a pain to weld upside down!
Gint
Looking good Bernie. At least now you can get in there and fix it up for good.
RustyWa
I agree, bigger pics. 640x480 minimum. Unfortunately, even with higher resolution monitors, 640x480 look like postage stamps.
bernbomb914
changed the picure size

Bernie
watsonrx13
Bernie, did you order the ear and the engine shelf from design-restorations?

Other than drilling out the spot welds on the bad ear and engine shelf was there any 'fab' work you needed to do?

Thanks again for the post and increasing the pic size.
Chris914n6
Looks like ear replacement was the good choice. Bummer it had to be done.
Thanks for the pics & update.
bernbomb914
we are going to repair all the rust damage with patches put in a new batt. box and the metal strip that holds the rubber seal on thaat side. I will take more Pics as we go. I hope it will help the next person that has to do this.

Bernie
bernbomb914
more pics on the install of the ear Battery box and seal
my sons did the work we were a little short on electricty as we had to drag it about 75 feet with a large extension cord. that made it hard to get a good flow with our welder.
more pics to follow

Bernie
bernbomb914
xxxx
bernbomb914
xxxxx
bernbomb914
xxxx
bernbomb914
xxxx
bernbomb914
xxxx
bernbomb914
xxxx
bernbomb914
xxxxx
swood
clap56.gif clap56.gif

Very nice Bern! I'm saving this thread cause I've got that same chore ahead on the eggplant. ugh!
jonwatts
Wow, you must really love that car.
Dave_Darling
Did you build a jig to make sure the new parts were all lined up nicely?

--DD
VintagePorscheGuy
You should consider having that beast dipped.
watsonrx13
Thanks Bernie for the pics. Looking great. Any special insight into aligning the parts?
Gint
Go Bernie, Go! smilie_pokal.gif
bernbomb914
I have a parts car that I used for measurements to check its location. It should not be a problem. I hope

Bernie
Brad Roberts
They pretty much fall into place. I bolt a control arm crossshaft into the ear and the 3 bolt holder and snug everything down before I weld. I also take 3-4 measurements from various "non-variable" locations on the tub to the ear. If you get it too far forward you wont get enough toe in... too far back and you wont get enough toe out.

I havent seen Bern's latest pics.. but he is still 4-6 hours from finishing just from these pics. They still need to make the new scab plates that run from the outside frame rail onto the new ear.

B
bernbomb914
Brad tell me how to do this as I am not sure what you mean. Do you have a picture showing this scab plate that you make and how far should it wrap around the frame?

Bernie
bernbomb914
a few more pics
bernbomb914
xx
bernbomb914
xxx
Eric Taylor
Looks good! You gona paint of the engine bay, and make it all shinny?
Eric
Brad Roberts
Bern,

you are not done with the scab plates.. look at the other side of the car or a parts car. The scab plates tie the new ear to the outside frame rail.

Let me find a pic.

B
Brad Roberts
See how the two scab plates run from the ear to the outside control arm mount in one shot ?

I dont have a photo editor here that has arrows on it or I would "point" them out like I normally do.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.