Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: there goes HOPE that my engine will survive!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
well just pulled leak down numbers and as explained here.....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....leakdown+tester

I bought the same tester.

I was pulling readings of 13% with a couple @ 17 and 21....this was on a COLD engine...I know a no no but its all I had??

two of my cylinders had a 'strange sound from the head area....squirted alittle oil down the chute and walla bubbles around my valve....WTF???

is this an easy fix (new guides I presume? with a small home machine shop can I do this?

Anyone...anyone?

BTW were my leak down numbers way off?

thanks

Josh

AND Andy plzzz dont say I told you so eh!
SLITS
You would need a mill and fabricate a jig to hold the head in the correct postion to drill the hole for the valve guide. It has to be indexed correctly.

You can buy oversize valve guides.

I do not know the tolerances for a press fit on the guides.

After installation, you might have to hone the guides to the correct size.

It should be obvious that I have not done this procedure. May be cheaper in the long run to let a qualified shop replace the guides (if that's what is wrong).

You might also want to check and see if the head is cracked thru the guide boss.
sww914
You can probably do the guides in your garage if you're 1 in 100, but most guys couldn't. The expense of setting up to do it will be much more than what it will take to pay a machinist to do it.
Those HF leakdown testers aren't accurate at all. They give you a relative number that you can compare like a compression tester, not like a real leakdown tester. Those numbers are about the same as an engine that I tested with a fresh top end, rings not seated. How is it running? What prompted you to test it? What engine is it?
Dr Evil
I know of 2 shops that I trust if you need. They are not very expensive and do a good job, but they are not in your hood. I understand how to replace the valve guides and I would not do it myself wink.gif
degreeoff
Hi Steve,

Give you an idea I put a 100psi gauge on the el cheapo side of the HF item and was coming up with 5% @ 100 psi in. It runs good but smokes too much. I can feel the 'lack of" compression whilst coasting in gear....it feels like I am coasting more than I would have in my old 2056, and I have 9.5 to 1 comp in this one. I have 4 autoX's and about 15 hours of run time on the engine.

I may need to make the drive up there Mike if I find that I take it apart and find the guides to be bad.......how many smackers are we talking?

specs are GE 40 cams, Ross 9.5/1 pistons, headers, electromotive crankfire ignition and PMO's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.