Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suzuki 1.8 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jamie74
Anyone ever put a Suzuki motor in a 914? Specifically the engine from a 2000 Suzuki Esteem. 1.8 litre 122 hp.
Cap'n Krusty
All that work for 30 HP? The Cap'n
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 8 2009, 06:15 PM) *

All that work for 30 HP? The Cap'n

agree.gif

That a lot of work for performance that could easily be obtained from the Type IV.

If you're going to swap, make it worth while.
jimkelly
watercooled choices are small block chevy or subaru - everything else is against the law in all 52 states : )
rick 918-S
Save that Esteem engine for the British cars. The 914 engine is just as good as that Esteem engine and your not raising the roll center, adding cooling problems and messing with an otherwise well designed car for very little HP gain.

Did I just type that.... idea.gif screwy.gif confused24.gif lol-2.gif

Oh and welcome.png
dlo914
If you're gonna with an inline 4 motor, i'd go with the Toyota 2zzge out of the Celica GTS, which is a 1.8L Inline 4 that is pushing around 190hp and redlining @ 7600rpm. Or you could go with the older Toyota 3sgte, which is a turbo'd 2.0L that ranged from 225-245hp depending on if it was an early or late model. But yeah in general if you're gonna go with an inline 4 i'd stick with a Toyota motor. Plain and simple they're reliable, rev happy, easy to fix, and easy to find parts for.
Rotary'14
I seem to recall a suzuki conversion with the radiator in the back, mounted right next to the engine. It had an improvised engine tin that provided a place for the radiator to sit. The engine, radiator, and trans was all removed together when the engine was dropped. It was a very clean installation with (I think) absolutely no cutting of any trunks. I'd love to see more info too. I bet such a motor would get 40+ mpg in our little cars. A great daily driver conversion.
welcome.png

jamie74 I wish you good luck with your project, be sure to post pics.
-Rob

edit: I just found some pics that Brant posted a while back.
craig3x
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 8 2009, 07:40 PM) *

watercooled choices are small block chevy or subaru - everything else is against the law in all 52 states : )

You must not be familiar with rotary power. 10,000 rpms and smooth as butta. Not to mention smaller and lighter than a type IV. Rotors go round and round which keeps vibration minimal compared to up and down motion of a piston engine. Or in the type IV case....side to side. Don't get me wrong, I still love the type IVs
RON S.
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 9 2009, 06:11 AM) *

I seem to recall a suzuki conversion with the radiator in the back, mounted right next to the engine. It had an improvised engine tin that provided a place for the radiator to sit. The engine, radiator, and trans was all removed together when the engine was dropped. It was a very clean installation with (I think) absolutely no cutting of any trunks. I'd love to see more info too. I bet such a motor would get 40+ mpg in our little cars. A great daily driver conversion.
welcome.png

-Rob

A Geo Metro motor in a 914. wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Whats the point??? the Geo as it sits still weighs less than the 914 even with that conversion. Plus if you want a Geo that bad, and I own 2 currently, you can usually buy one for less than 2 grand and save yourself all that hassle making something work.

JM2CW,

Ron
jamie74
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jun 10 2009, 03:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jun 9 2009, 06:11 AM) *

welcome.png

-Rob

A Geo Metro motor in a 914. wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Whats the point??? the Geo as it sits still weighs less than the 914 even with that conversion. Plus if you want a Geo that bad, and I own 2 currently, you can usually buy one for less than 2 grand and save yourself all that hassle making something work.

JM2CW,

Ron

actually its a more powerful engine then the Geo - an Esteem with 122 hp
BKLA
When I read "suzuki" - I thought Hayabusa. Specifically, the Harley 1.4 litre, 175 HP
version. The V8 - even more so....

I think this would be the hot rod of the century in a 914!

http://www.h1v8.com/H2.html

Click to view attachment

Damn... I was really hoping someone was committing to one of these!
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 11 2009, 02:58 PM) *

When I read "suzuki" - I thought Hayabusa. Specifically, the Harley 1.4 litre, 175 HP
version. The V8 - even more so....

I think this would be the hot rod of the century in a 914!

The Hartley V-8 is my dream engine in a 914. Lots of revs, plenty of power, and not enough torque to be a serious issue with a 901.

Getting a 4 cyl Busa engine to work in a teener would probably require a serious regearing of the tranny. Lots of HP, but very little torque.

You'll probably be looking at a rebuild every 15-20,000 miles too. That's fine for a toy car though.

I want to put a Busa engine in a Sprite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.