Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack Post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
For jack post rust, what is typically done? I was thinking that the only way to really get in there is to cut the fender as shown.
cwpeden
Judging by the sill and jamb, you may need more than a jack post
Joe Ricard
Take the seat out and put a new tub under it.
thomasotten
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my oringinal post. I wish to fix this area around the jack post.
Richard Casto
Thomas,

I did pretty much as you described. However, since I am planning on putting on flares, I just cut straight back inside of doing the 90 angle like you show. That is because I don't have to worry about getting the lip correct as I am going to cut it off. I am very close to welding back the sections I cut out.

See here for details...

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_03_04.htm

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_03_05.htm

Hope this helps!

Richard
davesprinkle
Thomas, I replaced both of my jack posts and didn't bother to weld the top seam of the post "pyramid". Couple of justifications for that:

1. When the post is in use, the top seam is compressed against the long, so no need for a weld bead there.
2. You can't get in there to weld it anyway.

Seems to work OK that way.

-dave
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 10 2009, 07:01 AM) *

Good one Joe! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Started my morning with a chuckle.

Warrenoliver
Shade Tree
I'm just finishing up the exact same repair. I didn't cut the fender. I also haven't uploaded pics of the repair yet. I'll get them for you tonight. I replaced the outer long up to the support just past the jack area, the door sill that's rotted on yours as well, and most of the hell hole with one piece from a donor car. Talk about a multi dimensional patch. welder.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Jun 10 2009, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 10 2009, 07:01 AM) *

Good one Joe! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Started my morning with a chuckle.

Warrenoliver

Don't you guys have some new floor mats for your Prius that you could be installing right now? lol-2.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Jun 10 2009, 08:21 AM) *

I'm just finishing up the exact same repair. I didn't cut the fender. I also haven't uploaded pics of the repair yet. I'll get them for you tonight. I replaced the outer long up to the support just past the jack area, the door sill that's rotted on yours as well, and most of the hell hole with one piece from a donor car. Talk about a multi dimensional patch. welder.gif

Wow, all that without cutting the fender.
SirAndy
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jun 9 2009, 08:14 PM) *

what is typically done?

You got it. Cut the fender ...
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Andy
Joe Ricard

Warrenoliver
[/quote]

Don't you guys have some new floor mats for your Prius that you could be installing right now? lol-2.gif
[/quote]

You should see what I did to a perfectly good rear trunk floor last night sawzall-smiley.gif
. Gonna cut out some more stuff tonight. this south Mississippi heat is making me crazy.
Shade Tree
Here is the part we cut out

IPB Image

Here it is in the car

IPB Image

IPB Image

I can upload more pics if you want to see how it fit inside the hell hole as well.

jandrade
Looking good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.