Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The doctor showed up yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
The doctor came by yesterday, to help me get my teener shifting again.

My tranny is not so bad, but he found a few things,

all wrong bolts holding the exhaust togeather, rusted to crap, even different lenghts, one was as much as 2 inch longer

oil filtre was not screwd on

no gaskets on either side of CVs

Almost no bushings at all in the firewall, ball socket or anywhere in the shift linkage

few parts broken off the starter,

exhaust was not secured to the block at all (that explains the backfireing on decel)

inside the tranny he showed me the same clear silicon that is throught the engine case, when it was rebuilt by dapo

there was also a lake in the engine compartment drivers side shelf, i did not know there was a drain there.

loose bolts on the clutch plate

i probably forgot some things.... but WOW

This car was my daily driver, 125 miles per day untill 3 days ago.

Some people should not be allowed to drive 914s chair.gif

Say what you want, i deserve it. But mabey someone could learn somthing from my example. I am very lucky.

where would i be without you guys
rolleyes.gif

VaccaRabite
What would we say? You drive your car. Most of us - myself included - don't.

Get it back on the road and keep driving.

Zach
zymurgist
Ow. I hope you didn't put the car together.

They must be tough little cars if they can be assembled with a heaping helping of fail, yet still be reliable enough to be a daily driver, though.
jsayre914
Hey Zach smile.gif

you should plan to come up, when my parts come in. Theres still beer in the garage, and it sure was fun.

we need a supervisor that is willing and able to drink all the beer while mike lays under the car with a transmission on his chest.

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
I'm sure it was. I wish I was not so slammed.

I await my parts as well. Holding off on a weeks much needed vacation so I have the time to re-rebuild my engine and start driving. I think I am going to try and do it during the 1 week between Summer 1 classes and Summer 2 classes.

Zach
r_towle
I consitantly find loose nuts and bolts on my car...
Mine has super stiff suspension.

Now that I have found this...every two weeks I just up the front or the back and tighten everything.
Last time I found the lower nuts on the tranny...one was missing the other was almost off...

Thank god for spare parts..

My front end is after every autox...or once every two week..I always find something loose...its never the same thing.

Rich
Dr Evil
It is amazing that your car has made it so far smile.gif I cant talk too much shit in that you did drive it. If it were my car it would be in surgery until everything was perfect.....so it would be on jack stands indefinitely dry.gif

What I found and will fix:
- Missing firewall bushing
- Missing cup bushing at trans shifter
- Missing CV gaskets
- Missing exhaust head gaskets
- Incorrect and very loose exhaust head nuts (at least they were not seized smile.gif )
- Loose muffler bolts (the ones that were not seized dry.gif )
- Worn out clutch fork pivot bushing
- Loose oil filter (made a nice mess)
- One clutch bolt not all the way tightened
- Plug in the drivers hell hole area allowing for the formation of a nice muddy lake barf.gif

The tranny looks like shit on the outside, but when I got into it the internals were practically brand new smilie_pokal.gif I only had to do a little work on it since I was in there and could swap somethings around. All the seals were incorrectly done by the DAPO....fun to clean up after rolleyes.gif The gear box is all sealed up now and is awaiting the parts for installation.

Parts are on order. thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, an odd thing I noticed was that while putting force to the loose clutch bolt the engine turned very easily....I kept waiting for the compression to resist me but it didnt. If Joe haddent driven it that mornign I would have thought the engine was toast. Is this normal for 1.8? I havent ever worked on a 1.8, 1.7 and 2.0 sure. I know the 1.8 is a pretty poor performer, but wow. Joe better get started on that 2.0 build.
VaccaRabite
Were the plugs removed before you started working?

Did you feel no compression at all?

If the valves are tight enough, that could cause loss of compression as well.

Zach
Spoke
I noticed the lack of resistance to turning with my 1.7L. I had to be careful when leaving it in gear w/o the parking brake on a sloped parking lot.
ericread
It takes a lot of balls to admit to the issues you have with your car. Good for you!

In the past few years there are no doubts I have done some bonehead things! But with the assistance of this BBS, and the eating of some humble pie, I have corrected most of the problems and I seemingly have a very reliable daily driver.

You're right in that a lot of credit should go to the folks on this board that assist in a constructive manner. But a lot of credit also should go to the folks that spill their guts and feel comfortable in requesting assistance.

You'll get your car straightened out, and be back on the road in no time. driving.gif In the mean time take Rich's advice, and put your car up on jackstands at least once a month to check all your significant bolts, look for leaks, and perform your basic maintenance. It'll save you a tow or two...

Eric Read
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 15 2009, 09:59 AM) *

Zach

Nope, plugs were in. It might not be a bad idea to adjust his valves...do you still have that seal kit I brought you and does it have valve cover gaskets in it? I may need to order some.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 15 2009, 09:59 AM) *

Zach

Dumb question...

can i adjust the valves with the engine in the car but no tranny? seems easy acess, but no wheel to turn, and the rear of the engine is sitting on a jack stand. I dont want to complicate anything. should i just wait untill the tranny is back on ?

idea.gif
Dr Evil
Not a dumb question, Joe smile.gif

It is actually easier to do it with the tranny off and the exhaust off. You can see the fly wheel index point, and you can turn the fly wheel instead of the wheels. Just for the hell of it, I would like to check your valve adjustment. Do you have the valve cover gaskets? Will your wife let you work on the car? If so, you can always clean up the under side so we can track the progression of any leaks.....maybe we should change the pushrod tube o-rings while we are at it......ah crap, here comes a snow ball. Hows Sat look for you?
VaccaRabite
Mike, Joe

I have about 6 sets of valve cover gaskets that I bought last time I ordered anything from Pelican. You are certainly welcome to a set. I've got viton pushrod tube seals too, depending what style tube you have.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 15 2009, 01:13 PM) *

Not a dumb question, Joe smile.gif

It is actually easier to do it with the tranny off and the exhaust off. You can see the fly wheel index point, and you can turn the fly wheel instead of the wheels. Just for the hell of it, I would like to check your valve adjustment. Do you have the valve cover gaskets? Will your wife let you work on the car? If so, you can always clean up the under side so we can track the progression of any leaks.....maybe we should change the pushrod tube o-rings while we are at it......ah crap, here comes a snow ball. Hows Sat look for you?

Im going to the beach in one month cheer.gif that means i have only 2 days a week for the next 4 weeks, to finish the basment construction. Then i need to finish kitchen demo, hand the ceiling in the kitchen, new floor, assemble the ikea cabinets headbang.gif and paint , oh yeah the countertop too. tonight will be the last of the painting downstairs, and then i need to finish the trim.

im not allowed to work on my car chair.gif

the house must be finished or... i am the only one not going to the beach.

...and i dont have any valve cover gaskets, but i think mine are new from about a month ago.
jsayre914
icon_bump.gif

Thanks Mike

for helping me with my car and .... my kitchen.

We got the ceiling down along with all the blown in insulation,, (that was fun) after cleaning that up, Mike helped me install and wire up 5 recess light fixtures. Measure and hang 4 sheets of drywall, remove the sink and last cabintes, drink the beer, and entertain the kids.

beerchug.gif biggrin.gif

now i might be able to work on the car.... a little biggrin.gif

after mike left i cut out a section of the floorthat was wet, and replaced it with a new piece. then i found the reason it was wet.... a pinhole in the copper supply line 8" above the floor sad.gif I had to shut off the water to the whole house, since the kitchen and bathroom upstairs run on the same valve sad.gif

but the bright side i started to lay the new kitchen floor, it looks like i will be done that tonight.

next: assemble 15 cabinets which are currently in 57 boxes all mixed up in the garage.

one word

IKEA blink.gif

hopefully the car will be done, and the kitchen done this week

driving.gif
Dr Evil
I can remove and solder in a patch for the pin hole if you want. It would take less than 5min.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.