Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Offical 3rd Annual 914 BBQ Aug 1st 09 Portage IN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GaroldShaffer
Ok its offical wife gave the green light for our 3rd annual 914 BBQ August 1st Shop doors opens at 8am.. Were in Portage Indiana right off I94 about 40 miles East of Chicago.

This year will be a little different than the past ones. We will hold it down at my shop. I have a nice two post lift and access to car scales so we can get your car weight and if need, try to and corner balance them. We can go for a drive or??? later in the day.

Its Offical Brad Mayeur of 914 LTD will be attending. Here is a great chance to pick his mind. Brad is a great wealth on knowledge on 914s. We will do a tech session, subject(s) TBD

Please post here or PM if plan to attend so i know how much food to get.

The Location:

Garold’s Shop
5605-3 Old Porter Rd
Portage IN 46368
219-730-6418 (cell)

Its a small industrial area

The menu:

Burgers, Brats, Dogs, & Chicken
Salads, chips, cake
Soda, Water, Ice tea, and Coffee BYOB if you want anything else.

You don't need a 914 to come. We have plenty of room as the shop is 2500 Sqft. I have chairs, but its a good idea to bring your own.

Directions:
Directions: From I94 take Exit 19 (Portage / Port of Indiana) south to 1st stop light (Rt 20)

Turn Right (West) on Rt 20 and go approx 1 ¼ miles to Old Porter Rd. Watch for big sign on south side of Rt 20 for Jelly Stone Park camp ground. The entrance to Old Porter Rd is on the NORTH side of Rt20 across from the sign for Jelly Stone.

Turn Right on Old Porter Rd. Follow the road straight we are in the 10th building on the left (South side) watch for the sign for Phil’s automotive. and 914 sign. Turn left just after that sign and go through the gate. We are the third door 5605-3. Park where you can 5605 -4 & 5 are open so you and park by them. If you get lost please call Garold’s cell at 219-730-6418
Zimms
I Will be there. Maybe the wife. Maybe a 914!
smontanaro
I'll pencil it in. What can I bring other than my 914?

I wonder if Dr. Evil is booked that weekend? He seems to be in tranny clinic mode...

Skip
GaroldShaffer
Just bring yourself (and guest) Skip.
Doug Leggins
Great!

I am planning on attending. It's likely that William will make the trip with me.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I will be there with bells on, ( Oh no I can't wear those, the cops told me they would

lock me up forever if I started that again.) I will challenge all the Ohio , guys

to be there. Also what about the Mich. group. We will not discriminate ,

everyone welcome. See you all there. Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif
jmill
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 16 2009, 04:05 PM) *

I'll pencil it in. What can I bring other than my 914?

I wonder if Dr. Evil is booked that weekend? He seems to be in tranny clinic mode...

Skip

What about the Cheeseheads? Are they welcome?

I'm all for the tranny clinic too. I've got two to rebuild.
gms
I will be there!
rigglet
The wife and I will be there. Looking forward to finally getting to meet in person some of the awesome folks from this board. Unfortunately I won't be able to have the teener with me. I just don't trust her to make the trip. So please don't ridicule me too much. smile.gif

Are there any decent B&Bs in the area? Thinking I could make a nice weekend out of it. Maybe earn some wifey points. biggrin.gif

Troy
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Sure Cheeze Heads and welcome, well maybe!! But those MINNOSOTANS ( sp)

are another thing. I hear there is one who drives 914 that is almost ALIEN to

the Rest of the world. Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
Like Dave said ALL are welcome. As the date gets closer I will PM you just to make sure and get a head count so I know how much jsharp.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
I will need.
Heeltoe914
DID I hear BBQ? I’m in for some BBQ especially links the hotter the better. chowtime.gif

Now I need to see if I can get to and from your place before my bedtime? driving.gif biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif
Bartlett 914
Hi Garold.

I'm glad you are setting this up again. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
GaroldShaffer
- Its Offical Brad Mayeur of 914 LTD will be attending. Here is a great chance to pick his mind. Brad is a great wealth on knowledge on 914s. We will do a tech session, subject(s) TBD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 19 2009, 08:02 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hey! Dave! I may live in California but I will always be a Minnesotan! biggrin.gif

This should be interesting. I have always wondered why Brad Majeur was so "cybersilent". It's like his marketing strategy is out of the 1970's. I would love to hear what he has to say... You guys take notes!
GeorgeRud
I've got it penciled in my schedule. Hopefully it will work out with my wife as well. Hoosiers and FIBs are ok, but Cheeseheads as well? Better watch out for this group or the next thing you know, it will also have those Ohio or Michigan people showing up!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Garold:

I will be there, and the wife is thinking it over. I hope she decides to

come with me. WE need more OHIO 914's , from Toledo, Findlay, Dayton and

all parts inbetween !!! Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
This is great! It will be nice to see some old (sorry no pun intended) and new faces. I spotted another 914 in town here today. Going to stop at the house and give them a invite also.
Doug Leggins
P2O on Saturday 7/25, Garold's on Saturday 8/1. Back to back weekends of Porsche 914 Fun!!! driving.gif aktion035.gif
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif

Greetings from Maui. Bump to page one. See you guys in a few weeks. ALOHA!!!!!!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Garold:

Spawn of the DEVIL !!! happy11.gif MAUI just had to put that in

to make all of us main landers feel bad, Right ? Dave
GaroldShaffer
happy11.gif

A Yup! Met Solo914 (Chad) today on our snorkel crusie to the Molokini crater. I was wearing my 914club hat. Small world huh?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

BOY; you are really bound to Alienate the whole 914 world. Arn't you?

MAUI, Snorkel Crusie, what next PARA SAILING????

Julie deserves it , poor girl !

WE expect to see you Aug 1 st. well tanned and in a Grass Skirt!
Dave slap.gif

dwillouby
I will try to come up. Any idea on times?
David
GaroldShaffer
Shop doors open at 8am.

icon_bump.gif
GeorgeRud
I'm looking forward to it!
jmill
I'll try and be there with my EGA. I'm hoping the wife gives me a porch pass. I won't have a 914 with me but I can help with carb tuning. FI is beyond me.
GaroldShaffer
Excellent! gald to see we have people coming. Remember the Only thing you need to bring is a chair and if you want anything other than water, soda, or icetea to drink. I will put signs up that say 914 with arrows on them to help direct to the shop. Follow the directions in the first post of this thread and you should do just fine.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 19 2009, 08:02 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Sorry to say I have to miss this one Dave. But I'm really glad to read that your on a road trip again. I hope your back is holding up ok. Keep moving forward and don't look back! assimilate.gif Everyday is a new victory.
Dr Evil
Now I am confused, I thought this was going on 7/6/09 as stated in post 1 and 16 confused24.gif If there is something going on in IN I can maybe make it smile.gif It is a day trip for me I think.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 26 2009, 10:19 PM) *

Now I am confused, I thought this was going on 7/6/09 as stated in post 1 and 16 confused24.gif If there is something going on in IN I can maybe make it smile.gif It is a day trip for me I think.

It has always been 8/1. The other posts was an UPDATE that Brad Mayuer was attending. Evilone, if you can make it out let me know. If you need a place to crash for the night we have room for you. PM me.

PS I just did an edit to post #1 & #16 hope that clears up the confusion.
Dr Evil
Hmmm, let me see what the missus says smile.gif
Dr Evil
Sorry for the tease, but I have a court hearing on the 5th in VA and that kinda puts too much into a short period sad.gif
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 26 2009, 10:41 PM) *

Excellent! gald to see we have people coming. Remember the Only thing you need to bring is a chair and if you want anything other than water, soda, or icetea to drink. I will put signs up that say 914 with arrows on them to help direct to the shop. Follow the directions in the first post of this thread and you should do just fine.

Garold,

I am gonna try to make it piratenanner.gif - depending on the weather and what the wife says!

driving.gif

warrenoliver
jmill
The woman says I need to play Mr. Mom on Saturday. I'm out. sad.gif Thanks for holding this. I hope I can make the next one.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jmill @ Jul 29 2009, 06:29 PM) *

The woman says I need to play Mr. Mom on Saturday. I'm out. sad.gif Thanks for holding this. I hope I can make the next one.

sad.gif

We use to host a monthly 914 breakfast at the Ihop over in Orland Park by Orland Square Mall. Like most things it got to be one or sometimes no one would show so we stoppped doing it. I wouldn't mind seeing a dive of the month type of thing at different places in the Chicagoland area. Nothing crazy, just a a meet at X for lucnh/dinner talk 914's and other stuff.
ge9146
Hi Garold,

If its not too late to join in, I am planning on attending with my wife too if possible. I will attend in a Porsche but unfortunately it has the engine in the wrong location, but it is aircooled. I can always bring a jackstand with some 914 pictures if that would work.

Looking forward to Saturday, piratenanner.gif

Ed Scott
Doug Leggins
The car is ready. I'll drive up either late on Friday, or on Saturday morning.

A discussion on 2010 914 event(s) in Indiana sounds like a great idea!
GaroldShaffer
Ed, well ok if you must bring the tail dragger dry.gif biggrin.gif

Doug, check your PM's.

This is great, it will be nice to see some old (no pun intened) 914 friends and to make some more new ones.

My cell number just in case you need it is 219-730-6418 don't be afraid to call.

Just a few notes for everyone. Please remember my shop is in a light Industrial area of Portage, so it might not look like much, but it is safe. Also for those of us with low clearnce issues becareful when turning in where the shop building is. We have had a few small craters develope, they are easy to see and avoid, but just want to make you aware of them.

I will have two poster boards (bright green or orange) with 914 -> where turn into the road to the shop and where the shop is. Remember this is the most important of the dirving instructions (in blue & undrelined) :

"Turn Right (West) on Rt 20 and go approx 1 ¼ miles to Old Porter Rd. Watch for big sign on south side of Rt 20 for Jelly Stone Park camp ground. The entrance to Old Porter Rd is on the NORTH side of Rt20 across from the sign for Jelly Stone."

If you go past the sign and miss the turn you will go OVER a small hill before you have a chance to turn around.

Lastly there is only one other shop inuse besides mine in the building so we will have plenty of parking. That is the first shop in the building so after that (his name is Phil) we have the rest to use. Please follow the way I park my 914 so we can have the 914's lined up to get some pictures.

I can't wait.... see ya Saturday!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

O.K. I am stoked, I spent all morning washing the 914, clean as a nat.

Got my map, I have Garolds # just in Case. I plan to leave about 9;00 A.M.

if I can wait that long. 2 hr 45 min. drive for me ,probbly be there about 11: 30

or so. See you all ,there . Dave cheer.gif chowtime.gif stirthepot.gif slap.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jul 31 2009, 12:51 PM) *
O.K. I am stoked, I spent all morning washing the 914, clean as a nat.

Oh, yeah, maybe I ought to wash my car this evening...

We are between places at the moment, so I'm not too sure what facilities I have available.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Smontanaro:

Yeh, well you young guys can get through a wash job in a 1/2 hr.

Us old guys it really takes all morning. DAVE beer3.gif beer3.gif slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
drunk.gif See you guys tomorrow! Its will be fun.
GeorgeRud
driving.gif aktion035.gif

Just got home from Garold's Cookout, and what a great time! Our hosts couldn't have been nicer to have us come out on a day with a bit of liquid sunshine in the air, but the burgers, brats, and comradery were great.

Brad Mayeur came up and gave an excellent tech presentation and door prizes (thanks, Brad), and everyone in attendance seemed to be enjoying themselves and the nice turnout of 914s (plus some other brands and even a tail-dragger or two).

Thanks again, Garold. I hope this sort of thing can become an annual event. We need more 914 get-togethers in our short midwestern driving season.

George

ps If someone has some pics to post, that would be nice!
smontanaro
I agree with George. Thanks again, Garold and Julie and to Brad for the tech session.

As a side effect I think I will be installing my front targa seal tomorrow. My current, very iffy, one stuck to the top during removal. It's no longer iffy. It's more like shredded in the middle. smile.gif

Skip
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I made it home, (eventually ) same thing happened as this morning , except I

was less than a 1/2 mile from home. 15 min. or so started right up.

A big THANKS goes out to Doug Leggens, for stopping this morning to help, also

to Brad Mayer for coming to my rescue. I had a great time , met some old

friends and some new. Dave slap.gif

Alert, Alert, there was a young man I promised him a center section of a back

pad to. Please E-mail or P.M. me with Address.
Doug Leggins
I made it home in just under 3 hours biggrin.gif . Both me and the 914 were up for moving right on down the highway and we didn't let the rain slow us down a bit. I ran into rain several times, but only hard enough rain to roll the window all the way up for about 5 minutes.

This was a GREAT 914 gathering! Great people, great cars and great conversation!

Thanks to Garold, Julie and family for hosting. And thanks to Brad for the great giveaways and tech info.

These gatherings are a really enjoyable opportunity to cath-up with old friends and their car progress. And to make some new friends to look forward to seeing again at future events.

beerchug.gif
ge9146
Thank you Garold and Julie for a Great Time!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks to Brad for the Tech Session too. I learned some good tips for areas to check to help prevent future problems. It was great to meet so many 914 fans. It really did provide some great motivation to get my car off the jack stands and back on the road.

Thanks again for a great event.

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.